Post Date: 2017-03-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CompatTelRunner.exe Nonsense
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:21pm
When you folks order a Digital Storm system, is it possible for them to PERMANENTLY disable this resource hogging pointless service in Windows 7 or Windows 10?

I use to always wonder why sometimes my current system seems to take longer than normal to boot up or would suddenly get bogged down.
After booting up, sometimes not all of the system tray items(right side of the task bar) would load(Intel RST would maintain a blue circle and never go to a green check mark or the sound icon wouldn't load at all). Trying to open some programs or navigate through them would take a minute or longer.

I figured that having a 5700rpm HD might have something to do with it in conjunction with the bloat-ware, but after having monitored the processes and seeing a dozen or more labeled "CompatTelRunner.exe" and looking it up, I'm of the opinion that this is a sh**streak in Windows 7 I want washed out of my system. I'll probably be taking my laptop to the techs tomorrow and see if they can permanently remove it from Task Scheduler.
This MS "malware" could probably even bog down a SATA Samsung EVO SSD whenever it decides to go ape. So if and when your system seems to boot up slower than normal or just seems to slow down for no apparent reason, check the Hard Drive processes in Task Manager. If you see a bunch of reading/writing processes labeled "CompatTelRunner.exe", this is the most likely culprit.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 6:23am
Is this Windows 10? Just curious.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Alci

Is this Windows 10? Just curious.

No, this is Windows 7 Ultimate that I'm using on my laptop. I took it to the tech on Saturday and he disabled CompatTelRunner, so now I don't have a bunch of pointless reads/writes on the HD and heavy CPU usage like before. Everything loads as it should after booting up, and I don't have issues with World of Tanks elements randomly not loading correctly when CompatTelRunner decides to go apes**t. There was also some Dell bloat-ware that was causing issues. I think it might have been something with the Alienware Fusion, because now when I recharge my battery, I don't have the small blue on black icon appearing on top of everything and constantly cycling back & forth between "plugged in" and "battery".

Windows 10 is a slightly different story. I don't remember exactly what he said, but with Windows 10, you have to go in somewhere and disable it for each program that uses it. I think it also might affect your ability to use the file search feature.

If you have all of your programs installed on an SSD and your CPU is an i7 quad-core, I don't think CompatTelRunner would have as much of an impact on the system. However, it can cause very annoying issues for someone like myself that currently uses a 5700 rpm HD. I'll eventually throw a 1 TB SSD in it when the prices drop more, but not before I replace my old Win98 desktop. I'll never understand why Microsoft would build unnecessary garbage like this into their OS that runs by default whenever it wants to.

I'm probably going to go with a Win10 system from here eventually. Windows 7 just doesn't seem to want to ever make full use of the installed RAM above 8 GB, which is just stupid. Even though Win10 is fairly new compared to Win7, I figure having a system built specifically with Win10 would present a lot less headaches compared to going with another Win7 system and then trying to upgrade it to Win10.
 Post Reply Post Reply