FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Arrived Damaged

Post Date: 2021-01-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
McFlak View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Computer Arrived Damaged
    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:36am
New computer arrived Sunday. One of the panels on the bottom of the box was open and the plastic carrying strap on top was broken.

The computer case is damaged with a significant scratch and dent below the "S" insignia. I contacted DS customer support immediately via the "request help" web form, and then followed up with a call to customer service. Representative generated a ticket and said a tech would call me.

Since Sunday (it's now Wednesday), I haven't received a call. I have continued to contact DS support daily via both phone calls and email, but I have not received a reply.

I have a brand new computer with a damaged case sitting on my living room floor. I need to return it so that the case can be replaced and computer rebuilt and retested. This is the third DS computer I've purchased since 2015, and I have never experienced such poor customer support. I used to be very impressed with DS, but now I am very disappointed.

How am I supposed to get a shipping label so that the computer can be returned and rebuilt?

JoeK View Drop Down

Quote JoeK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:16am
Im sure that they will get to you and probably busy. Im sure that you are not the only one that customer support is working with about damaged products being shipped. You also have to think that Monday was a holiday so they most likely were not working that day. sh*tty news to hear man, but im sure they will square it away.
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:04am
Hey McFlak,

Super sorry to hear about your experience, the last "pseudo-stage" is always the most difficult, the ride from our facility to your home.

I'll make sure to ping our support team to give you a hand.
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:04am
Update: Contacted by DS support this morning. They are actively working to resolve the issue.

Thank you for the help.
GreenTeaRex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by McFlak

New computer arrived Sunday. One of the panels on the bottom of the box was open and the plastic carrying strap on top was broken.

The computer case is damaged with a significant scratch and dent below the "S" insignia. I contacted DS customer support immediately via the "request help" web form, and then followed up with a call to customer service. Representative generated a ticket and said a tech would call me.

Since Sunday (it's now Wednesday), I haven't received a call. I have continued to contact DS support daily via both phone calls and email, but I have not received a reply.

I have a brand new computer with a damaged case sitting on my living room floor. I need to return it so that the case can be replaced and computer rebuilt and retested. This is the third DS computer I've purchased since 2015, and I have never experienced such poor customer support. I used to be very impressed with DS, but now I am very disappointed.

How am I supposed to get a shipping label so that the computer can be returned and rebuilt?

If you're talking about the shipping box, that happened for mine too! I hope it's because of inspection from agriculture or something BUT I would think they would retape it back up. Luckily nothing seemed to be missing from mines so I don't THINK anyone took any parts.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:02am
Any Gov. agency that opens any package/luggage/container will reseal with a tape labeled with name of agency and insert a notice inside.
That damage is solely the result of the rough handling packaging receives in shipping.

DS will work with the OP and make him happy.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:44am
Mine arrived damaged too but DS took good care of me.
Seeing lots of damage to goods during shipment and not with just PCs. The shipping industry sure has fallen in their quality of service lately. Hoping it is just because of the Covid thing and them being hammered by all the online ordering being done during the pandemic.
Old Gamers Never Die!
adambomb13 View Drop Down

Quote adambomb13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:52am
My order just went from 1/18 truck to "rail", train but I called UPS Freight and they seem to be on it and stated 1/26 delivery. Im hoping for a smooth delivery
Config ID 3536215- Stg 1 11/13 to 1/4 / Stg 2 as of 1/5 to 1/11 / Stg 3 as of 1/11 / Stg 4 as of 1/11 / Stg 5 as of 1/11 to 1/15 / Stg 6 as of 1/15 / STG 7 shipped 1/18, received 1/26 (5950X,3090)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
Congrats adambomb13. UPS Freight delivery is different from regular UPS. The goods come strapped to a palette and dropped off after confirming date and approximate time of delivery.
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:56am
I appreciate the replies here. Thank you.

Mine was delivered via FedEx, and it is pretty obvious to me that at some point between the DS facility and my home the box was dropped. The plastic handle at the top of the box was broken and, as I mentioned in my original post, one of the panels on the bottom was hanging open. The case I ordered was the Velox. It's relatively heavy because it has thick glass panels on the sides. My guess is that someone tried to use the plastic handle to lift the box, it broke, and the box fell on something with an angled edge. DS does a good job of packing the PC, but the bottom of the box is hollow and lacks padding. The PC was loaded upside-down, so I think that's how the front of the case was scratched and dented.

For those interested, here's a quick update. The tech working with me has been excellent, but I am now waiting on management approval before I can ship my machine back for a new case. It's all packed and ready to go!
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 4:14pm
I really think they should do away with those plastic handles. Too many have failed.. mine did and others have on other heavy-ish shipping boxes. Much safer if they use a two handles built in to the cardboard box itself.
Old Gamers Never Die!
coolflare View Drop Down

Quote coolflare Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:49pm
I'm hoping mine arrives without any issues on Tuesday. Isn't there anything on the box that tells the shipping carrier that a fragile item is in the box or handle with care? I know its a dumb question because I'm sure DS does but I guess it really just depends on the person that day who handles your package.

Edited by coolflare - 22 Jan 2021 at 12:51pm
bonjiwa View Drop Down

Quote bonjiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:17pm
What's the proper response if you notice the box itself has damage? Keep it, open it and check for any damage and if so contact DS? Or do you just flat out at the nearest sight of some damage refuse the delivery and have them take it back to DS for inspection and testing?
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:17pm
Still waiting on management approval so I can return the PC to be rebuilt.

Coolflare, there are warnings on the box that say "This Side Up" and "Fragile," but I can tell you that the FedEx driver who delivered my machine rolled it up to my front door on its side on a dolly, so I am not sure how closely those warnings are followed.

I also hope yours arrives without issues. It feels bad to wait for a new PC, only to have it arrive damaged due to someone's carelessness.
litmastree View Drop Down

Quote litmastree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 4:18pm
After months of waiting, my PC will also be arriving this week and hearing about the stories of them arriving damaged does not make me super comfortable about the situation. I had a desk delivered a few weeks ago that was also through fed ex that arrived with a huge dent on the top that cracked the underside. I am hoping my bad luck has been used up on my desk and my PC will arrive unharmed. Fingers crossed!!
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 4:01pm
Update for those interested.

It took just over a week to receive an RMA and shipping label so that the damaged computer could be sent back to DS. In addition to a scratch and slight dent on the front of the chassis, the computer loses signal to the monitor and keyboard intermittently, suggesting that one or more of the components inside the case was damaged or loosened when the shipping box was dropped some time between leaving the DS facility and its arrival at my home.

The tech who has been in contact with me since Wednesday, 1/20, has been excellent. He is knowledgeable, understanding, and has kept me in the loop throughout the process. This is the type of support one expects when choosing to purchase a PC through Digital Storm.

I shipped the computer back to DS this afternoon. I will update this post when it is repaired and returned.
coolflare View Drop Down

Quote coolflare Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:47am
McFlak that's good news that they live up to their customer service promise. Hopefully this time around you receive your machine without any issues.

I received my computer yesterday- and I was scared at first because the box looked like someone kicked open the side.. or they rested something really heavy on top of it that punctured the box leaving a large opening. Literally I could put my whole hand through and touch the glass of the PC.

Thankfully, thus far looking at the machine nothing looks damaged (considering this whole thing is glass) and I don't hear anything loose. I am currently using it and its fantastic- so smooth.

Hope you gets your soon!

Edited by coolflare - 26 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:18am
JoeK View Drop Down

Quote JoeK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 2:23am
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

I really think they should do away with those plastic handles. Too many have failed.. mine did and others have on other heavy-ish shipping boxes. Much safer if they use a two handles built in to the cardboard box itself.

Facts. I have seen so many videos and have heard from a lot of people that the plastic handles always break!
JoeK View Drop Down

Quote JoeK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 2:24am
Originally posted by coolflare

McFlak that's good news that they live up to their customer service promise. Hopefully this time around you receive your machine without any issues.

I received my computer yesterday- and I was scared at first because the box looked like someone kicked open the side.. or they rested something really heavy on top of it that punctured the box leaving a large opening. Literally I could put my whole hand through and touch the glass of the PC.

Thankfully, thus far looking at the machine nothing looks damaged (considering this whole thing is glass) and I don't hear anything loose. I am currently using it and its fantastic- so smooth.

Hope you gets your soon!

That's super awesome yours was not damaged! Im really nervous for when my PC ships!
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 2:13pm
Update: Received RMA and dropped off PC to local shipping center on Monday, 1/25. Received email response from DS today (Friday, 1/29) that they received the PC and will assign it to a tech for repair. Estimated time for repair and reshipping is 10-15 business. Sounds reasonable.

As mentioned previously in this thread, the plastic handle on top of the box was broken when it arrived. The broken piece was inside the box. I removed the handle entirely before shipping the PC back to DS in the original container.

In my opinion, the Velox is too heavy a case to be packaged with one of those plastic handles on top. I also own a DS Slade, and it's much lighter and likely easier to ship.
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
Update for those interested in the RMA process.

After shipping the system back to DS, I received an email that they had received it on Friday, 1/29. The message also noted that once the repairs began I would be notified via automated emails. I have not heard anything since 1/29 (and it's 2/7), so I am following up with an email to the RMA technician.

McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:29pm
Update: Repaired computer shipping back to me today including a new case.

I hope no one else receives a damaged computer, but if you do, here's how the RMA process worked for me:

- Initially received the computer on the afternoon of Sunday, 1/17. Box was obviously damaged. The handle on the top was broken and one of the panels on the bottom was hanging open. I immediately contacted DS through the support request form on their webpage and also made a phone call to customer service. They answered on a Sunday, which impressed me.

- Following my initial contact, I did not hear back from DS until Wednesday, 1/20, even though I called customer service once again and sent additional emails. The tech who called me was helpful and seemed concerned about my issue.

- Slight delay between my request for an RMA and approval, but I received the shipping label on Monday, 1/25, and promptly shipped the damaged computer back to DS.

- Received an email from DS on Friday, 1/29, that they had received my computer and would assign it to a tech soon for repairs.

- Did not hear anything for a week, so I contacted RMA support on Sunday, 2/7, and received a response on Monday, 2/8. The process moved quickly from there and they kept me appraised via automated emails, similar to the stages the computer undergoes as it is being built. In addition, the RMA tech working with me was very helpful and prompt when I asked questions. Solid support, in my opinion.

- My repaired computer shipped today, Wednesday, 2/10, and is expected to arrive on Friday. I am a bit concerned that it will be damaged once again during shipping, but I am satisfied that DS lived up to their reputation and worked diligently to resolve my issue.

My current PC is a DS Slade that I purchased in 2015. I really like it, but I am looking forward to how things will look with an improved GPU (this one is a solid, but aging 980 Ti).
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 3:35am

Bon chance!   = Good luck.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 4:36am
Remember the offerings to the shipping gods. Big%20Smile
McFlak View Drop Down

Quote McFlak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 12:22pm
Update: Computer arrived this morning. Appears to be in excellent shape. Looks like some of the internal components were swapped (maybe due to damage), but the case looks beautiful without the scratch on the front.

Very happy with DS customer support. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything continues to run smoothly as I get it up and running.

Thanks again for all of the advice on these forums.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 12:56pm
out-bloody-standing... Good to hear.       

Beosaevio View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Beosaevio Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 3:53am
I've been lurking here, watching the updates. Glad you got it all handled. ENJOY!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply