FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Hunt

Post Date: 2012-02-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LinkGirl View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LinkGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Computer Hunt
    Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 1:45am

I've been on the hunt for a new computer for a while now, and I'm definitely taking a serious look at Digital Storm's computers.

And...I got a bunch of noob questions here.

1. What's the difference between Black Ops and Special Ops computers? And further, what's the difference between all the different machines (Crusader, Dreadnought, Raven, etc.)? Is the main difference the design of the case?

2. I'm looking to do some recording (with FRAPS) and maybe even streaming. What hardware would you guys recommend for running FRAPS efficiently (so I can play around 60 - 50 FPS, while recording at 30 FPS, full screen at around 1280x720, with okay to fairly good graphics)? Specifically, is SLI recommended for FRAPS, or is a single graphics card fine? Also, how important is RAM for FRAPS?

Would and ODE Level 2 (or another computer customized to be similar to it) be viable?

And, is there anything I should keep in mind for streaming (although, this is less important to me)?

3. An odd question, but what kind of noise do the Digital Storm computers make? My current computer is making this high pitched "humming" noise (think of the mosquito ringtone, expect not nearly as annoying or inaudible, but it can still get irritating…). I don't mind noise from my computer--since, you can't get away from it--but, I'd really prefer to stay away from the higher pitched noises.

4. I live in Hawaii, which I know means I'm going to be paying a lot for shipping, but I was wondering if there's anything else I need to keep in mind when looking at computers (concerning my environment--temperature, humidity, salt air, etc.).

5. How often does Digital Storm upgrade their models (or come out with new models)?

As of right now, I'm not sure what I want my budget to be. I was thinking around the $2,000 range, but shipping cuts a sizable chunk out of that (about $250, give or take), and it really depends if it's possible to get a computer around that range that can decently run FRAPS while playing video games.

Anyway, thank you for your time!

Other random info:

- My budget would be for the computer and shipping; I wouldn't be buying a new monitor, speakers, or anything else.

- I'd be using only one monitor.

- The computer would be mostly for gaming, but also for browsing the internet, multitasking, FRAPs, and video editing. (And maybe streaming.)

- Dust accumulates quickly in my home…

- I don't care about overclocking (cause don't know how, heh).

- I probably won't be upgrading anything in the computer (I usually just buy a computer and go with it until the computer dies or I decide to invest in a new one).

Post Reply Post Reply