FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Config for October?

Post Date: 2020-06-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wipeout View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wipeout Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config for October?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:27pm
Budget:
~2500, up to 3k if worth(specific questions detailed below)

Expectations:
I currently have an ODE(similar to current Lynx prebuilt builds) from 2011, which has been upgraded with the addition of RAM and a swap from x2 570s to x1 1060 in 2016. Current ODE does okay at medium graphics, slow to load, sometimes lags. Ideally would like to have another computer to last >5 years with minimal upgrades as I am not too tach savvy.

Usage:
Single monitor gaming (27" Dell S-Series LED 2560x1440 144hz) gaming, with a 1080 on the side for various tasks. Wanting VR for Star Wars Squadrons which releases in October. Otherwise playing MMOs(WoW) and most main stream FPSs.

A couple specific questions:
1- Hoping to have this received around October/November(but doesn't have to be). Are there certain upcoming parts worth waiting? Thinking 2060 super vs 2070 super right now.
2- Is having a 1tb of same type SSD slower than a 500gb? Is there a reason one would want a smaller for the primary?
3- Differences to be expected in i7 vs i9?
4- Why upgrade to ASUS TUF that I see in so many configs?
5- 16gb vs 32gb RAM in my case? future proofing? better to wait to add more?
6- Chassis fans in Lynx vs Corsair RGB?
7- Lumos vs Lynx case?

Saved Ticket #: 3202470

Thanks in advance, love this community!

Edited by Wipeout - 23 Jun 2020 at 4:42pm
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:42pm
Take a look at this config: 3202728

I went with the i7-10700K, which can be overclocked. DS does a free Stage 1 overclock.

I added the 2070 Super because you want to play a bleeding edge game in VR. For the same reason I upgraded the primary storage to 1TB. 16GB of RAM should be fine, and you can always add two sticks on your own if you find you need it.

I left you with a 600W power supply, which is sufficient for the 2070.

The price is $2400.00 and there is a $200.00 discount to get you to $2200.00.

With the remaining budget, if you want bling, get the RGB fans. I have the Corsair LL fans.

I believe that I have read the i7 will game faster than the i9. So the i7-10700K should be future-proof for you for at least 5 years.

If anything the price of the 2070 Super will likely drop after the 3000 series comes out. That series is a major upgrade, but will come at a significant price increase. Being able to wait until October/November gives you time to see price points and hopefully view reviews.

I have a Lumos case. I really like it and it can very easily breathe. That brings up another point. Getting the DS AIO Liquid Cooler provides more room in the case for air to circulate with less resistance than if the air was needing to go around an air cooler.

Feel free to ask questions. You have time on your side.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 3:43am
Upcoming in September is the newest batch of Nvidia GPUs. they are expected to be much more powerful than the current ones, but near the same price points. Don't expect the older cards to drop much in price. It didn't happen with the 1000 series.

Nvidia's practice is to release the top cards first, and follow up later with the more consumer friendly models. It may be Christmas time before the price/performance choice for 1440p gaming will come out. On the other hand, the release has been held back since May or June, so they may wish to get a larger than usual inventory out in the marketplace. Only time will tell.

It's not the best idea to speculate on builds now for several months away. Supply changes, price changes, newer tech changes things here abruptly without warning.

It's true the 10700K will be a monster gamer for years to come. You should expect well beyond 5 years of service if it holds up, and they usually do as you have seen yourself. I don't recommend the more basic parts like a 600W power supply when the budget allows for more. Extra overhead (like 850W) in a PSU is a good thing allowing for more options in the future, and often longer life.

I like a compact NVMe SSD for Primary Drive so that system scans are performed in mere seconds. It's a good thing for me, because it means I don't let scans wait for long because they are over so quickly. The drive won't slow down much at at all, but the more you fill it up, the longer scans will take to get through all the extra material. If you decide on a larger NVMe for primary, intend to partition the OS, apps, browser and maintenance software by themselves. Games and media rarely need scanning when they are isolated from main storage.

Edited by Cretae - 24 Jun 2020 at 3:55am
Wipeout View Drop Down

Quote Wipeout Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:33am
Thank you for the replies!

I'll probably go with the i7, 850w PS, 2070 super. I figure I'll order this in August sometime if the new stuff won't change prices much/won't be out right away.

I have a few follow-up questions.

Ram - Is 32gb of RAM worth it for my needs? or be better to get 16 and upgrade much later on.

Cooling - I think I'll do liquid stage 2 given the minimal price increase. Thoughts on the various chassis fan options?

Edited by Wipeout - 24 Jun 2020 at 9:36am
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:03am
You can start with 16GB, making sure they do two 8GB sticks. If you need the extra 16GB you can add that yourself. It is easy and we can walk you through that. If you don't want to do it if needed than just order it with 32GB. For non-VR gaming 16GB is usually enough. However for VR the answer may be different. Why don't you go Google and see what VR users have to say about memory needs?

As far as cooling, do you want the bling of lights and is it in your budget? If so then you are probably looking at the Corsair LL or ML. But if bling doesn't matter then I would contact DS and make sure that their standard case fan solution comes with six case fans. Additionally there will be two fans on the inside that pull air through your CPU radiator. If you haven't already done so you can look at my photos of my Lumos. It has the LL fans and the same cooling solution that you are looking at. Then you can decide.
naspodueq View Drop Down

Quote naspodueq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:17pm
It's true the 10700K will be a monster gamer for years to come. You should expect well beyond 5 years of service if it holds up, and they usually do as you have seen yourself. I don't recommend the more basic parts like a 600W power supply when the budget allows for more. Extra overhead (like 850W) in a PSU is a good thing allowing for more options in the future, and often longer life. Walgreenslistens

Edited by naspodueq - 04 Aug 2020 at 8:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply