FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Config for running multiple game instances

Post Date: 2008-10-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Damian View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config for running multiple game instances
    Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 3:50pm
Here is the config:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=189991

My question is this:  has anyone had experience running 2 instances of Age of Conan or Warhammer online, splitting out to 2 monitors; essentially using a single PC tower to allow 2 players to operate at the same time?  If so, is this RAM sufficient, would I need 8GB?  Are 2 separate vid cards required, running independent or SLI?

Any points of view would be appreciated.

Pantalones View Drop Down

Quote Pantalones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 4:04pm
To my knowledge you can't run 2 displays off of 2 cards that are in SLi, you would have to take it out of SLi in the Nvidia control panel and hook the monitors up to it.  I believe thats how it work, i could be wrong.  Uless there is some sort of switch you can hook up in between the cards and the monitor to emulate the display. *shurg*
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 4:07pm
Can a single video card like the GTX280 handle running 2 instances of such games, and split out to 2 separate monitors?  Or we still talking two separate video cards regardless?  The SLI makes sense.. sort of locks them together in effect.
And how about RAM for such?  If i need more to do this, I would rather get it now, have it OC by the DS staff before it is shipped.

Thanks

Quote Pantalones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 4:16pm
You "can" run 2 displays on 1 card, but a few things come into play when you ask "how smoothly with they run?"

1.)  How big are these monitors?

Well one questions i guess... errr.  I havent had a chance to play WAR yet.  But i have played AoC and WoW.  Ive opened two instances of WoW on a laptop with 8600M graphics and 4 gigs of ram.  So I know that can be done, and smoothly.  But AoC is alot more graphicly demanding than WoW... and I havent tested that out yet.  To be honest, AoC ran like crap on that same laptop... even with all the settings turned down.  Id like to give you an accurate answer, but I honestly dont know.  I would take a guess and say that at GTX 280 would be able to handle it tho.
Damian View Drop Down

Quote Damian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 4:24pm
Alright, that is helpful for the display portion..  now for inputs.  Two keyboards, mice, running independent on each display.  From what I am finding, it is sounding futile- without some sort of server set up.  I had hoped with 2 and 4 cores a single PC could have split user function and capability.
I may have to look into server setups.
the monitors in question are 24" widescreens (think 1900x1200 res)

Quote Pantalones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 4:28pm

Now, I read on the evga forums where a guy wanted pretty much what you want.  So he got a 780i board.  x2 9800GTXs in SLi and he bought a lower 8XXX series card and put it in the bottom pci-e slot.  He just hooked his second display into that card at the bottom.  That way he kept his SLi and his second display.

Maybe just get x2 260s in sli and another 260 at the bottom and put a monitor to the single card?

Edited by Pantalones - 02 Oct 2008 at 4:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply