Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sycnus View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sycnus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config help/advice
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 6:05am
Budget:
$2400 (the extent of my financing options)

Expectations:
Being able to play my games on high settings with good to excellent fps.

Usage:
Playing my games (WoW and FFXIV) and surfing the web.

Special Needs:
This build will HAVE to be able to play WoW's upcoming expansion (Shadowlands). A quiet computer would be ideal. Overclocking the gpu/cpu if the suggested build needs it or will benefit from it (believe both are free options)

Saved Ticket #:
None saved.

Specifications:
Been looking @ the Lumos builds. Currently playing on a Asus G11. Seeing as this Asus build is 4/5 years old, I'm getting 80-90fps in major cities and as high as 150fps in the open world. Pretty good IMO, but WoW is changing their spec requirements and I'm currently falling a tad short. Ran "can I run it" and it suggested I upgrade to a 1080 graphics card and SSD. Tried researching if the Asus was upgradeable or not, got conflicting answers so now I'm here.

Side Question:
I have a 27" Acer G277HL, 1920x1080 resolution monitor. Will this work with the suggested build/s? If not, then the suggested build/s will also need to factor in a upgrade to my monitor.

Thank You in advance for any and all suggestions.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:45am
If you like your monitor, keep your monitor.

You can try this build on for size:

To see it, go to "Load Config" at the top right on the main page. It's $2388 after discount, and includes the handsome Corsair LL Series RGB fans that are fully customizable through Corsair's iCue software.

The 10700K CPU will serve you for 5-8 years.
The Asus TUF mobo is a minor upgrade to a better board.
You definitely want an M.2 NVMe SSD for your primary drive. It will jet-propel everything you do in Windows. Games will load from your HDD. There will be room on the NVMe for a few favorites.

The RTX 2060 is a very strong GPU for your monitor. It will run every game on highest settings. The right choice there allows $$ for the cool fans.

You don't need any overclocking. The 10700K is way overpowered for today's gaming needs, and the GPUs just run hotter without much of a boost. The dual cooling fan is still a good idea.

If you don't like purty fans, spend that money on a SATA SSD (the 1TB Samsung EVO) for Storage Set 2.
Sycnus View Drop Down

Quote Sycnus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:29am
Thank You Cretae for your response. I apologize for the delay in replying. I wanted to wait a couple of days to maximize the most replies I could get.

I've been lurking on this site for over a week now. I've clicked on a few posts that caught my eye, just to see what others were saying. Although I'm slightly disappointed in the lack of replies, I'm happy that the one I did get was from you. I'm by no means a tech head, but you seem to generally care and your responses to others, as well as myself have always struck me as sound advice.

Thanks again for giving me a few minutes of your time. The build looks good and I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it. Much appreciation.

Side note: I'm going to stick with my Acer monitor for now. I can always upgrade @ a later date.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:35am
Welcome to DS.Awesome

Cretae is the master configurator so you should have no worries about your build doing more than you expected. That said if you "upgrade" the monitor to a higher resolution like 2K (1440) the card might want to be reconsidered. (maybe) Whoa
Right Cretae?Confused
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 3:35am
Appreciate the kind words, guys.

For 1440p, the 3070 coming in October is a no-brainer. 60% stronger than the 2070 SUPER at the same price will mean Ultra gaming at the highest frame rates for the life of the card. It now makes more sense to save up for 1440p in the future IMHO, but it's still a ~$1000 investment. Out of reach for us frugal types, but I'm still happy with 1080p. When my monitor goes out, though....
 Post Reply Post Reply