FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

config help for new rig

Post Date: 2020-03-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Godhand456 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Godhand456 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: config help for new rig
    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 1:31am
Budget:
2000-3500

Expectations:
mostly gaming. future proof and able to play games at the highest settings. may dabble in streaming here and there

Usage:
everyday, again mostly gaming but school work etc will also be done

Special Needs:
i do have a 22in 144htz monitor if that matters. Im looking for a quiet rig. doesnt have to be silent but lower on the noise level. looking to have a computer that runs well into the future (like 4-6 years)

Saved Ticket #: Config ID 2918745

Specifications:
none

some questions i have as i built this as a "rough draft" and not sure what i should change/add/remove to better optimize the rig. I am not sure on case. im torn between the lumos and the velox. any advice here? i want a big enough case to add if need be in the future.

motherboard, i just picked the default one. change needed?

power supply, again went with the default 850 corsair. is this enough power? I would like there to be a little overhead so should i go with the 1000W or is the 850 plenty?

graphic card, i went with the RTX 2070 super. is this too much? i usually buy a video card that is just below the top tier and that has proven to work well in the past as my rigs tend to stay up to date on games for a long time.

cooling - stage 2. is this enough? i never want a risk of overheating. computer will be in my finished basement which tends to be cooler (like 65-70 degrees) all year round

overclocking - i see the board overclock and the graphics card overclocking are both "free". is this advisable on both or no?

i think thats is it for now. sorry for all the questions but i havent built a rig in awhile and not up to date on the new tech. any help and advise to optimize this rig would be great. thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 6:05am
You're mostly good.

I'm not going to inflict my case preference on you. The Velox has the window on the more unusual right side of the case. In order to display the parts, the motherboard is upside down as are all the attachments to it. Both choices are roomy and quiet with good airflow. both about the same size.

The default mobo is just okay. I'd recommend the ROG Strix or the Gaming Pro Carbon. The MSI has wi-fi built in, the ASUS does not.

The 850W Corsair is an excellent PSU with a 10 year warranty from Corsair. It has plenty of overhead.

The 2070 SUPER is probably a bit much for a 22" (assuming 1080p) monitor. The price/performance choice at 1080p would be the 2060 SUPER. That card will be a good choice for even a considerably larger 1080p monitor. 1440p needs a 2070 S. If you aren't upgrading your monitor any time soon, stay with a 2060. Newer cards are on the horizon, and a 2070 "for the future" would waste the opportunity for a better choice.

Cooling is fine, and allows for overclocking the CPU safely. The K series from Intel is meant to take an overclock, and DS is known for doing it well. IMHO, the 9900K is plenty fast enough for many years to come with the free Stage 1. We don't recommend overclocking the video cards on their stock fans.

The "Internal Lighting" is free, fun. You can customize it a bit or turn it off.

If you take my advice on the GPU, you might consider upgrading your case fans for some better performance and their stunning looks with the savings.

Hope it helps.

Post Reply Post Reply