FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Config Help

Post Date: 2019-01-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tedwett View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tedwett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config Help
    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
Budget:
$5,000

Expectations:
Run all games at Ultra settings at 1440 p 144hz with high fps. I want a set up that I won't have to upgrade for years. I would want to be able to upgrade easily though when ready.

Usage:
I will be using it primarily for gaming. Mostly online. I will also use as my work desktop at home so I will be researching and writing a lot. I would want to run many things at once with no issues.

Saved Ticket #:
My current config that I've been working on... Configuration Code: 2185167

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9980XE Extreme Edition (18-Core) 3.00 GHz
Motherboard: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I'm debating between the Lumos and the Velox. Which would you suggest? Is there anything here that you would change? Currently, this build is a bit over my budget. WHere can I save while still optimizing performance?
Thanks!

Ted
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:49pm
I would look at moving to the 2080Ti for gaming to ensure longevity and dropping the processor to the I9 9900k. From what you described you CPU load shouldn't be too intense to need 18 cores and you would probably be better off with the 8c/16 thread 9900k. Also understand that the cooler is an AIO so yes it is liquid cooled and doesn't have any maintenance as opposed to custom loops but it may need to be replaced at some point due to its shelf life which varies).

As far as cases go, I like the Velox (it is a custom DS case much like the Aventum). the Lumos is also nice and I believe it is a rebranded Corsair Crystal 570x (someone please correct me if I am wrong).
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
tedwett View Drop Down

Quote tedwett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by SnowandSand

I would look at moving to the 2080Ti for gaming to ensure longevity and dropping the processor to the I9 9900k. From what you described you CPU load shouldn't be too intense to need 18 cores and you would probably be better off with the 8c/16 thread 9900k. Also understand that the cooler is an AIO so yes it is liquid cooled and doesn't have any maintenance as opposed to custom loops but it may need to be replaced at some point due to its shelf life which varies).

As far as cases go, I like the Velox (it is a custom DS case much like the Aventum). the Lumos is also nice and I believe it is a rebranded Corsair Crystal 570x (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Thanks! I ened up switching the CPU and GPU as recommended. What would you would suggest for motherboard ?

Here is my updated config... Configuration Code: 2186267
Thanks!

Ted
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 6:27am
At this price point, it seems to me you sell yourself short with DS branded parts. Although they are sure to be quality units, they only carry the one year warranty for parts. I highly recommend the Samsung EVO 500 GB NVMe for your primary drive. It's up to 10x faster than the DS part you picked, (which is a SATA unit, not NVMe), and carries a 5 year warranty from Samsung.

Secondly, you should choose the Corsair H100i Pro cooler, once again for the 5 year warranty from Corsair.

I disagree with SnowandSand over the video card. The RTX 2070 is the price/performance choice for 1440p. Since you clearly ask for some future proofing up front, the RTX 2080 is the right pick. The extra $525 for a Ti is totally wasted for your use. Although it may feel good to have the latest and greatest, you don't need a Ferrari to go 125 when a 'Vette will do just fine. By the time all that extra power even comes close to being tapped, we'll be two generations down the road, and the right pick then may be very close to the $525 you save now.

The X-series CPU looks better than the i9-9900K but it's a comparison between a Rottweiler and a Greyhound. For gaming, you don't want raw power and max cores, you want speed. There's not ever going to be a game in the lifetime of this system that needs close to eight cores, and the fact the i9-9900K turbos to 5 GHz makes it FASTER than than the 9900X.

Oh, yeah. For the motherboard, I highly recommend the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Better warranty service if you should ever need it. Asus is notorious for poor customer service.

Note the Velox has the window on the opposite side from most cases. It means the motherboard is actually mounted upside down. Worth mentioning.

Hope it helps!
tedwett View Drop Down

Quote tedwett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Cretae

At this price point, it seems to me you sell yourself short with DS branded parts. Although they are sure to be quality units, they only carry the one year warranty for parts. I highly recommend the Samsung EVO 500 GB NVMe for your primary drive. It's up to 10x faster than the DS part you picked, (which is a SATA unit, not NVMe), and carries a 5 year warranty from Samsung.

Secondly, you should choose the Corsair H100i Pro cooler, once again for the 5 year warranty from Corsair.

I disagree with SnowandSand over the video card. The RTX 2070 is the price/performance choice for 1440p. Since you clearly ask for some future proofing up front, the RTX 2080 is the right pick. The extra $525 for a Ti is totally wasted for your use. Although it may feel good to have the latest and greatest, you don't need a Ferrari to go 125 when a 'Vette will do just fine. By the time all that extra power even comes close to being tapped, we'll be two generations down the road, and the right pick then may be very close to the $525 you save now.

The X-series CPU looks better than the i9-9900K but it's a comparison between a Rottweiler and a Greyhound. For gaming, you don't want raw power and max cores, you want speed. There's not ever going to be a game in the lifetime of this system that needs close to eight cores, and the fact the i9-9900K turbos to 5 GHz makes it FASTER than than the 9900X.

Oh, yeah. For the motherboard, I highly recommend the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Better warranty service if you should ever need it. Asus is notorious for poor customer service.

Note the Velox has the window on the opposite side from most cases. It means the motherboard is actually mounted upside down. Worth mentioning.

Hope it helps!

Thanks Cretae this is super helpful information. You're guidance here is greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find the Samsung EVO 500 GB NVMe or the i9-9900k as options on DS. Should I buy separately and install myself? Also, what would you suggest as the best option for a case with this build? And, will the 750W Corsair RM750x be my best option for power supply?
Thanks!

Ted
tedwett View Drop Down

Quote tedwett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 7:32am
Originally posted by tedwett

Hope it helps!

Thanks Cretae this is super helpful information. You're guidance here is greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find the Samsung EVO 500 GB NVMe or the i9-9900k as options on DS. Should I buy separately and install myself? Also, what would you suggest as the best option for a case with this build? And, will the 750W Corsair RM750x be my best option for power supply?

I was actually able to find the samsung EVO 500 GB NVMe, but am unable to locate the i9-9900k.

Here is my newest config code with your recommendations... Configuration Code: 2187129

I would really appreciate if you could take a look and let me know if there's anytinng else you would recommend. Thanks so much!
Thanks!

Ted
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 7:52am
You have to look at the second column from the left. the one that has the "New" badge. "Intel Core Ninth Gen". That's where the gaming procs are. the 9900k is the top of that line.

Your config looks great, even better when you get the right proc in there (And cheaper!). I recommend the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard to go with that. Maybe spend some of your savings to up the DS warranty? This system will amaze you!

Just for fun, here it is. I did this really fast, so I might have missed something, and I didn't touch the warranty:

Config ID 2187150

Enjoy those savings!
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 5:29pm

You have to look at the second column from the left. the one that has the "New" badge. "Intel Core Ninth Gen". That's where the gaming procs are. the 9900k is the top of that line.

Your config looks great, even better when you get the right proc in there (And cheaper!). I recommend the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard to go with that. Maybe spend some of your savings to up the DS warranty? This system will amaze you!

Just for fun, here it is. I did this really fast, so I might have missed something, and I didn't touch the warranty:

Config ID 2187150

Enjoy those savings!

Not sure if you already purchased, but while I agree with everything Cretae did in the configuration with swapping to name branded parts I would still go for the 2080Ti if budget allows. Is a 2080 better bang for you buck probably, but depending on what games you play you still wont be getting max FPS on Ultra settings with one now let alone years from now.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Bootystank911 View Drop Down

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:13pm
2211933 config. Cost 5500 with 2080 ti. But i got you 2 TB of Raid 0 storage. 32 GB of Dominator RAM. DIGITAL STORM brand parts are for low budget builds not $5000 builds.lowered the crazy intel chip thats never needed unless youre building a super computer or running 4 rtx titan X cards.
BootyStank911
 Post Reply Post Reply