Post Date: 2010-06-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChangeInEntropy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChangeInEntropy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config review
    Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 4:48am
Hello community, I was just wanting to get some of you guy's thoughts on this system build. It's for gaming, of course, and I'm an RTS kinda guy. Games like Empire: Total War, World in Conflict, SupCom, Dawn of War 2, etc. etc., with the occasional FPS thrown in for good measure. I'm not looking for a rig that can run Crysis 2 on max settings, but I do like to see some nice eye candy like musket smoke filling the battlefield and explosions in all their particle effect glory. In other words, I like my strategy games to look nice. I have a budget of around $3500 and came up with the following configuration:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 4X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Requires Lian Li PC-P80B Chassis)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: Supreme Commander  Forged Alliance (Pre-Install, apply updates, and test gameplay with my system)
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Your thoughts please....
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:24am
you are headed in the right direction, but you should make a few changes.
for a performance build i might up to the haf 932 or hafx (based on what you think looks cooler, little difference)

you're pretty much good on everything else except the mobo. that mobo appearently "Requires Lian Li PC-P80B Chassis" im guessing for size?
You didnt indicate anything about going to SLI in the future so why the 4x sli board? thats like super overkill if youre only going to use one card. even really if youre going to use 3. drop down to the x58 LE unless you have specific needs that require something else

what are your plans for the future, you want to be constantly upgrading or lock the case up for a few years?

also 7 profesional is the popular choice for gamers for backwards compatibility... so you can go back and play sc1 and war3!!

*edit - i would actually pick free game and roll the dice that you get forged alliance, you can always pick it up on your own if you dont get it, might as well get a free game out of it! Angry
plus i dont know if youve already played it, but while it was fun and decent looking, i didnt love it =(
are you going to be playing sc2?

Edited by !ender_ - 04 Jun 2010 at 9:33am

Quote ChangeInEntropy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:54pm
Thanks for getting back to me. As far as cases go, I already chose the HAF 932, great looking case. I was thinking that mobo was overkill but I would like to have the option of going to SLI in the future, so I'll check out the LE. I understand that upgrading is just something we're gonna have to do eventually, but I would prefer not to have to do it every 6 months. I'll probably go with 7 Pro, thanks for the info on that one......and yes, I plan on playing SupCom 2, been looking forward to that one.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:23pm
ha, owned by my own shorthand on that one. i mean that to read
"plus i dont know if youve already played it, but while it was fun and decent looking, i didnt love it =(" (referring to forged alliance)

-then, since you like rts
"are you going to be playing sc2?" (was referring to StarCraft 2)  lol

anyhoo. haf922 was by far my first choice, but when i spent real time looking over 932, i decided for spec and space it was a better option. however either case would serve you well.

The LE board will allow you to go up to 2x 480s with no issue. i always advise pple to chose the mobo absolutely last, so that it can best fit your needs

Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:31pm
Everything looks fine except for the mobo and psu. Since you plan on going sli in future you should get the 1250W psu. The LE should fit your needs perfectly. With this set up i dont think u would need to upgrade every 6 months unless you want the most updated things every 6 months lol
Mr.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:12pm
you have no use for 4x classified. go wtih LE.

if you want xp support go with win7 pro.

we can't tell you what you need till we know what resolution you are trying to do it at.

you can't max out crysis, unless you want to play at 1200 x 1000 res.

Quote ChangeInEntropy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 11:04pm
Ahh, Starcraft 2. Probably won't be playing that one. While Starcraft was entertaining, it was kinda dull and comical, IMO.

I'll probably never run more than 2 video cards, so the LE looks like the way to go.

....and on that note, the 1250 psu IS a good idea, so I'll probably go with that one and drop another video card in at a later date.

As far as resolution, my monitor can handle up to 1920x1080, but I usually run with 1600x900....depending on how the computer runs it, of course, my computer isn't what she once was...Wink
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:55am
Well this pc will run it for you easy and has room to grow if more power is needed.

Quote ChangeInEntropy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:54pm
Thanks everyone for your input. It's much appreciated...Ermm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 4:45pm
Our pleasure and good luck                             
 Post Reply Post Reply