Post Date: 2014-07-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yondaime View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration Advice
    Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:20pm
Hello, I am new here and was hoping to get some help with a config. I have been checking other companies and have decided to go with DSO.
I have a budget of 3.5k but can push up to 4k with shipping included.

Here is what I have been playing with DSO's config page:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850 (Optimized for Silence)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (128GB Samsung 840 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Chassis Mods: Fan Blow-Holes: VREG/CPU & Graphics Card Area: Laser Cut and Mount a Side Window 140mm Fans
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
It's the Apollo level 3 iirc, with little tweaks. I have also tried doing level 4 with 4930K/SLI GTX780 3GB instead of 4790K/SLI GTX combo (which is about $400 more). I plan on using it with CAD/CAD Inventor (currently on my second year at school) and quite possibly Corel (currently employed under a sign building company and might stay with them after I graduate). I only play SC2 sporadically and might try playing FF:XIV as I used to play FF:11 back in the days. Many thanks and I appreciate any input (as I am quite a noob when it comes to PC).

blackcatfoe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote blackcatfoe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:22pm
Hello and welcome.

The overal build looks good but just a few questions that will help the community to assist.

What games other then SC2 amd FF XIV you play or plan to?

What is your monitor(s) native resolution and what resolution do you game at? Ex: 1080p, 1440p, or 4K.

This will help better assist on recommendations for your build to get the most performance for your money.
yondaime View Drop Down

Quote yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:53am
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's safe to say that I won't be playing any other games other than what I've mentioned. However, I do like playing my games on max settings and although I am only on sprodacially. As soon as my schedule/studies free up, I will probably be on more.

About the resolution, Im planning on getting just a single monitor (1080) for now at 24". With a possibility of going for a second display in the future if end up working for the same employer after I graduate (I like bringing my work at home).

I also do photography as a hobby, I use lightroom and CS5. However, I don't use them as often as, say, CAD/CAD Inventor.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it! Awesome 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:31am
A lot also depends if your cad/cam makes use of as many cpu cores it can get its hands on. Some 3d programs only use a single core at a time, from my understanding, so a higher clock speed is more important. If your programs, and the instructor would know for sure, can use multi core then I'd go with your second option, the 6 core 4930k. That option also gives you the quad channel memory x79 motherboard, as opposed to dual channel with z97.   More memory bandwidth for faster processing. Not that the other cpu won't work great. It will for sure. We're really talking plus or minus 10-20%.

For the single 1080p and maybe a second monitor for other tasks, a single 780 Ti will be great. The money saved, $400 or so, can be used to update to a new series of card down the road.   Nothing wrong with sli 780, so really your choice.

Good luck.
yondaime View Drop Down

Quote yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 11:41am
Ah I see, thanks for that input bprat Ninja.  Im not quite sure if CAD uses mulitple cores. I've never thought about going for a single card configuration. To be honest, I'm under the impression that "more cards = better" lol.
yondaime View Drop Down

Quote yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 12:37pm
Alright, I just found out that Autodesk softwares doesn't support multiple cores. However, cad 2012 and up will take advantage of a multi core cpu if you have multiple drawings opened (i.e. when doing assembly drawings) and when using ray tracing. Does this means I should stick to z97 or would x79 chip still be the better choice with a single GPU? 😳.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 12:43pm
Switching to an X79 with a 4930K and a single 780 Ti would give you much better performance in tasks that use multiple cores.

Not to mention, some games don't play nice with SLI so a single insanely fast card will perform better.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 12:47pm
What Nav said.

This is my day to follow you around, Nav.

yondaime View Drop Down

Quote yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:15pm
StrongMany thanks for all of the replies guys. I didn't expect DS forum would this active, plus a reply from an actual employee. Very nice indeed! Now one last question.. an X79 chipset with the same set up, one with 780 3GB in SLI vs one with a single Titan Black 6GB. Base on what I need, CAD, Inventor, Lightroom, CS5 and some games, which would perform better? Not planning on upgrading down the road, would rather buy a new system if/when needed. Thanks again for the replies guys.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 6:36pm
I'm not too sure if Adobe CS5 plays well with the Titan Black, I know CS6 should.

Also, I'm not familiar with CAD software so perhaps the others will be able to help you make the GPU choice.

Edited by Nav - 26 Jul 2014 at 6:37pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 3:08am
The Titan's main feature over the 780ti is the added vram and it's double floating point precision. The added vram with your monitor won't be used unless your modeling can actually use the precision points much longer decimal string for more precise modeling. It's intent is for scientific applications like weather modeling,etc. Not sure cs5 , aftereffects or Lightroom would make use of it.   The added vram was added to the Titan not to render in gaming,although it can be with higher resolutions, but to handle the added workload the longer decimal string would require.

You'd need to check for your own needs and see if the added cost is worth it.

yondaime View Drop Down

Quote yondaime Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 4:03am
Well the only reason I wanted the titan is for when doing 3D modeling and rendering on CAD. My prof kept on telling me that in his opinion, I shouldn't be doing 3D in CAD, that is why we have Inventor. It just happen that I'm more efficient in CAD than in Inventor Ninja. I'm pretty sure that I'll be using CAD way more than Inventor, especially if I end up staying with my current employer. Long story short, I'm just stubborn lol. I think I might just go with an X79 chipset with dual 780's. I really appreciate it guys, many thanks! Now I just need to wait for that bonus so I can put in the order... gahhhhhhhh! Frustrated
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 5:23am
Sounds like a plan.   
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 10:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply