Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gen_ View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gen_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration advice
    Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 10:13am
Budget:
[$3k max. (without any accessories)]

Expectations:
[ -It would be great if the motherboard can support 2 GPUs (Already have one Nvidia GTX 1080ti so I need a config with one more GPU built in.)
- Intel CPU
- 32gb of RAM with more slots for future add-ons.

Usage:
[I'm working as an Architect/3D designer, so I'll mainly use it for 3D modeling, rendering and that kind of design stuff ]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:

[So my work and rendering programs are focused on using NVidia GPUs.
It would be great to have 2 GTX 1080ti's or if someone, who's familiar with 3D modeling/rendering or that kind of needs, has some recommendations or advice it is very welcome.

I'm in a debate because I never had a workstation or even know someone with one, should I get a PC or the workstation.
I know I'll be okay with PC but I don't know if the Workstation is better for heavy work and future upgrades (CPU/RAM/GPU/Storage)

I'm happy to hear any opinions/help/advice.
Also, thank you all for investing your time in helping the others

So this is a workstation I've been looking at. Or is it better /more convenient to get a PC

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade PRO
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (microATX) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)]
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 11:57pm
Welcome to the forum Gen_ !

Those workstation Config graphics options would seem to be aimed at very very high budget commercial purchasers. Inside however, they are just a pc.

A word about your nice nVidia GTX 1080 Ti card and stated hopes of going SLI....That card is out of production now, so unfortunately you would be stuck shopping for a used matching card...a risky thing at best but you can find them on eBay.   Remember that SLI requires you to use two matching video cards.   Fortunately, the card you own is very capable as a high end single card solution...but if you do need or want a stronger video card you could perhaps sell yours and go towards one of the new RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti cards as they would offer even stronger performance and one card may be plenty.

If you like the Slade model (Corsair 600Q) case, you can build one as a pc under the Lumos build options by changing case selection to the Corsair 600Q case, selecting a full sized ATX motherboard choice ...(the build above uses a small micro ATX size motherboard that isn’t needed and limits upgrades in a nice big mid sized case.)

Lumos Config # 2219755 (Corsair 600Q case, no video card)
    This would use a normal ATX sized ASUS Strix motherboard
     that is nVidia 2 X SLI video card compatible, a larger 1000w PSU to
     preserve your power options for going SLI with two top cards... a
     slightly larger CPU cooler, and puts a (free) mild Stage 1 overclock
     on that nice i9 9900k CPU for a skosh more performance. Well
     under your stated budget, would work well with that GTX 1080 Ti
     video card you have and plan to use.

Lumos Config # 2219790     Here’s is that same build adding one nVidia RTX 2080 video card... not far above your stated budget. You could add a second matching RTX 2080 card for 2 X SLI later, yourself, if you find you do need it. Just showing you one option with a strong 2019 model nVidia RTX video card already onboard & stress tested in the rig by DS.

Use the standard Lumos case if you would like your work rig to have some personal flair with views of the components thru the glass sided case...or add some RGB led color with the (free ) light set or by upgrading to RGB case fans. Play around with the options and come up with a new Config If you like.

Edited by HockeyBuck - 19 Jan 2019 at 11:59pm
Gen_ View Drop Down

Quote Gen_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 2:00am
Thank for welcoming me and your help and opinion!

I was thinking about what you suggested and came to the idea of saving some money and make it power-money efficient.

As you said, 1080 is risky so I'll sell my 1080 Ti and take the MSI RTX 2080.
Planning to stick with everything you have said, only to change CPU to i7-8700k
At first, I thought Lumos case draws too much attention but it actually looks nice.

Something like this maybe:

Config # 2219896

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
I don't know much about workstations and such, but I have two things....

Highly recommend you upgrade to the Corsair H100i PRO, especially since you want to overclock. Along with the certainty of a leading name brand, you get a 5 year factory warranty vs the 1 year part warranty from DS. It's not that DS uses lesser parts, it's that they can buy them cheaper in large batches if they're not factory branded.

Second, I just checked Amazon as one source, and it's not too late to get a new 1080 Ti. That's still an option. Just FYI.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 10:53am
Fewer cores but more threads with that CPU. Good build Gen_! Should serve your purpose very well. Fewer users are finding dual cards necessary these days, so that single new RTX 2080 should handle quite a graphics load and can do multiple monitors if needed.
Your strong build will be ready to handle a 2nd card if you find it needed.

As Cretae suggested, the Corsair branded cooler is more expensive, but has a longer warranty if your budget can do it. Btw...you could always add the free led lights to the case...some added personality that can be turned off whenever you wish.   
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 3:24pm
Everyone here has given some wonderful advice already. As for your use, are you currently running into any bottlenecks on your current rig? I know here at my office we have 1080TI running in all our machines non SLI and we handle crypto programming and 3D rendering as well as game and hardware development without any issues. Before placing your order I would suggest to run something like HWMonitor and then go about your daily tasks with it dragged to the front. If you are running into say 85% load on GPU then you know you need a better/more GPU but most likely your biggest improvement will be from CPU with core count and clock. You can get a Ryzen 7 2700X which would allow overclocking and be 8/16 thread count(overclockable) for a lot less than a I9.

On the plus side, it being work related you can use it as a tax write off and Ryzen 3xxx series CPU are expected to drop around April-June with Navi 10 GPU in June possibly which for compute power is typically better but you said your work requires Nvidia.

Edited by Psyoshi - 20 Jan 2019 at 3:26pm
Gen_ View Drop Down

Quote Gen_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Cretae

I don't know much about workstations and such, but I have two things....

Highly recommend you upgrade to the Corsair H100i PRO, especially since you want to overclock. Along with the certainty of a leading name brand, you get a 5 year factory warranty vs the 1 year part warranty from DS. It's not that DS uses lesser parts, it's that they can buy them cheaper in large batches if they're not factory branded.

Second, I just checked Amazon as one source, and it's not too late to get a new 1080 Ti. That's still an option. Just FYI.

I didn't know and honestly, I didn't even check for warranty.
But thank you for mentioning that, saved me some trouble

Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Fewer cores but more threads with that CPU. Good build Gen_! Should serve your purpose very well. Fewer users are finding dual cards necessary these days, so that single new RTX 2080 should handle quite a graphics load and can do multiple monitors if needed.
Your strong build will be ready to handle a 2nd card if you find it needed.

As Cretae suggested, the Corsair branded cooler is more expensive, but has a longer warranty if your budget can do it. Btw...you could always add the free led lights to the case...some added personality that can be turned off whenever you wish.   

Thank you! Yeah I know, but if I wanna be more efficient with better GPU or even two of them.
Than I'll save some more money and get the Corsair one.
And I did play a little with the lights so it will look great!

Originally posted by Psyoshi

Everyone here has given some wonderful advice already. As for your use, are you currently running into any bottlenecks on your current rig? I know here at my office we have 1080TI running in all our machines non SLI and we handle crypto programming and 3D rendering as well as game and hardware development without any issues. Before placing your order I would suggest to run something like HWMonitor and then go about your daily tasks with it dragged to the front. If you are running into say 85% load on GPU then you know you need a better/more GPU but most likely your biggest improvement will be from CPU with core count and clock. You can get a Ryzen 7 2700X which would allow overclocking and be 8/16 thread count(overclockable) for a lot less than a I9.

On the plus side, it being work related you can use it as a tax write off and Ryzen 3xxx series CPU are expected to drop around April-June with Navi 10 GPU in June possibly which for compute power is typically better but you said your work requires Nvidia.

Unfortunately, I currently use Quadro M3000M (I'm working from home as a freelancer, on a laptop). 1080Ti is unpacked and waiting for a new computer so I can't check that right now.
The thing is, M3000 is not enough for me and 1080Ti is great and it will probably do everything I need. But with two of them, my rendering will be faster since the software that I use is GPU-based. So if my rendering is 1h long with one GPU, with two of them it will take 30mins or even less. And that's why I want more than one.

Edited by Gen_ - 21 Jan 2019 at 12:40am
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:24am
Fair enough, granted as others have mentioned checking into one of the newer series cards. "New" a 1080ti can still fetch 800+ in some areas since they are sold out at Nvidia. Plus I'm pretty confident in saying SLI scaling doesn't work as dramatically as you are probably thinking. NVLINK which is the new SLI format for the 2080 & 2080ti is a large improvement too. Have you done any Google searches in regards to a GPU and your profession since this is work based? Gaming SLI is poorly supported or worse in some instances too so just food for thought on that regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply