Post Date: 2009-04-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Yui View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yui Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration Advice
    Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:09pm
Hi everyone, this will be my first post next to my introduction. Putting that aside I need some help with the configurations of my computer. I'm looking for a computer that I won't need to upgrade for a very long time and if I do or ever feel like so it will be very fast, easy and nothing too expensive so I'm going for something a little better than I need it to be. So here's my story; since I like to be artistic and I'm extremely bored at the moment... Embarrassed

Recently with the games I've been playing I've noticed that I get a lot of FPS lag due to the nature of my computer overheating. I have used some programs to measure the heat in my computer and the video card went went as high as 74 degrees Celsius (no exaggeration). I've tried computers from Hewlett Packard as my first gaming computer with some additional upgrades that I've installed as my first seeing as it had decent specifications and an abnormally low price I went for it. A year and a half later it broke down due to excessive overheating. At the time I did not know much about computers; I just memorized the basics of the sound card specification information and information about the basic hardware that were from major companies such as AMD, nVidia, etc. When I entered high school I was gifted a CyberPowerPC by my parents and I was extremely greatful. It contained all the specs I wanted. An 8800 GT, 2GHz + another 2GHz DDR2 RAM. AMX 64x2 proccessor and etc. with nice glowing neon lights (first light ups I've ever had). I was stunned. However after my 2nd year I've noticed the same problem arising with the computer I've had previously; that it was overheating. It has gotten to the point where the first startup on my computer after 8 hours of rest can hold a game up for 2 hours and 30 minutes without any frame lag, and after the first restart I must continuously restart every 30 minutes to an hour in order for maximum frame rates. Also, my computer sounds like a military chopper.

As most people that know even the most decent amount of computers do, we have friends that know about computers if not more than you, less. As we were talking I brought up the discussion of my computer overheating. As usual he brought up some companies that I should research if I ever wanted a new computer; of course Digital Storm wasn't in his favorites list. He apparently had no clue what Digital Storm was and thought it was a no-name cheap company when I asked "What about Digital Storm?" I checked the companies he recommended. iBuyPower, Alienware, VooDoo. After looking these up I checked CyberPowerPC once again to see if they had any updates, then I checked Digital Storm (I saw and heard great things about it, especially on YouTube with the philipino guy opening the boxes I was like HOLY CRAP!). Ahem; anyways. I came to the conclusion I get what I pay for and I've come across some confusing specifications on Digital Storm and a good deal on iBuyPower for $750. After a day of thinking I threw away the iBuyPower idea because it didn't seem like such a great company compared to Digital Storm after some research. I've come up with a few specifications for my computers ranging from around $1800.00 to $2000.00.

Now I'm still a Highschool student so my budget is limited. I can probably pay for the computer myself; I just don't want to be a spoiled kid and ask my parents for a loan for $200.00 or anything; hence I am avoiding going over $1800, however I can make the money with my job and pay my parents back at any time, if a loan is neccessary so the budget isn't a problem until it goes oever $2000; since I am saving for my plane ticket to Japan and the college funds there. I need some advice on a computer that will last me for a very, very long time. Not overheat and have to restart every three hours due to lag, not a computer that will collect so much dust and become a vaccume cleaner nor the computer that sounds like a military chopper. Also I want some specifications so that if I ever feel like I need an i7 proccessor I don't need to rebuild my entire computer just to upgrade; hence I am sticking with i7 for the base of my proccessor, and hoping my motherboard will do me just fine. I have 4GHz of ram right now and I'm scared that 3Hz might not be enough so I have built a custom configuration in hopes for someone that knows alot to be able to advise me on. Not only do I switch games very often from something that can be played on a cardboard box and to the latest games of today, I also edit videos and hope for the best rendering as well. I will hardly be using this computer for school.

Anyhow, here are my configurations...
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=273032

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Antec Nine Hundred Two
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)
Power Supply: 650W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Cooler Master V8 (Compatible With i7 Processors)
Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Antec Blue LED Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Questions I mainly want answered :
-I want the H20 High Preformance Liquid Frostbite Cooling System, but is it really worth the $240.00?
-I am scared my computer will overheat, and also sound like a chopper... again! Is the Cooler Master V8 more of the better option for me?
-I'm worried 3GB of RAM will not be enough, hence my chopper; er I mean computer is running on 4 right now. Is 6 a better idea for me?
-Is the 9800GT good enough or does the nVidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB sound better?

Note : Please keep in mind I would like to save all money possible;;

dark20011 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote dark20011 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:48pm
Sup yui first off with the 74c thing, that's sorta normal lol you don't need to worry about the card at that temp in all honesty 90c is the number were things tend to go south.

First off what res you play at and what games mostly.

1/2) for the LC question i'd say a v8 would be much more in line with your budget.

3) Honestly depends on your games and resolution but a really great value card atm is the gtx 275 it is close to the 285 for most apps and is a good deal cheaper.

Id spend the 70 bucks on the HAF over the 902 simply for the full case aspect of it you will have a lot more room and upgrade options down the line.

Edited by dark20011 - 22 Apr 2009 at 9:52pm
Yui View Drop Down

Quote Yui Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by dark20011

Sup yui first off with the 74c thing, that's sorta normal lol you don't need to worry about the card at that temp in all honesty 90c is the number were things tend to go south.

First off what res you play at and what games mostly.

1/2) for the LC question i'd say a v8 would be much more in line with your budget.

3) Honestly depends on your games and resolution but a really great value card atm is the gtx 275 it is close to the 285 for most apps and is a good deal cheaper.

Id spend the 70 bucks on the HAF over the 902 simply for the full case aspect of it you will have a lot more room and upgrade options down the line.

Thank you very much, I have talked to Sarah, a technician here at DS and she said the HAF would be cause more amounts of dust to enter my computer. So I'm not sure what to say about that, however thank you for your advice. Second, if the temperature isn't abnormal what is it that could be causing me to restart often in order to keep my FPS in tip top shape?
dark20011 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote dark20011 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 11:05am

Well yes the HAF will gather more dust because it has more fan power however a quick spray with some canned air on a regular basis will get you rolling again. It's just that the HAF outperforms the 902 in cooling by a wide margin and that'll affect your OC and the internal temps.

I honestly couldnt tell you exactly why you need to restart your comp i'd have to check for a couple things, but restarting your comp turns off all your fans and just cuts power to the cards for a little over a second and your card will be free of load for a little over a minute depending on your computer and that won't make any serious difference. If temp was the issue leaving the comp on with nothing running would be a more effective way of cooling it. A couple potential problems might be your RAM or even your CPU but i cant say definitively.

The problem is if you don't want your comp to collect dust or to be loud you need to water cool everything and that is way out of your budget and on the video cards (which is where most of the fan noise will come from) it's more of a hastle than anything else.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 3:11pm
Yui any case you get will get dust inside, the only one that won't is the one that has no fans, a case that has no fans = high temp case.

no matter what you get you need to clean your case once a week. the 902 will collect as much dust as a haf teh only difference is that the 902 is smaller so the temps will be a bit higher then the haf but the dust will be the same.

Also you have chosen the upgrade fan which means more fans = more dust.

so that build from a dust point of view is a high dust system.

this system is a great system, and will allow you to upgrade easily, ony thing you need to upgrade here is gpu or HDD if you like to do it, otherwise its a great system.

here you go Ticket# 273237 --- Price: $2055 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $1980

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1333MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Cooler Master V8 (Compatible With i7 Processors)
Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Yui View Drop Down

Quote Yui Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Yui any case you get will get dust inside, the only one that won't is the one that has no fans, a case that has no fans = high temp case.

no matter what you get you need to clean your case once a week. the 902 will collect as much dust as a haf teh only difference is that the 902 is smaller so the temps will be a bit higher then the haf but the dust will be the same.

Also you have chosen the upgrade fan which means more fans = more dust.

so that build from a dust point of view is a high dust system.

this system is a great system, and will allow you to upgrade easily, ony thing you need to upgrade here is gpu or HDD if you like to do it, otherwise its a great system.

Thanks again! What is the best and easiest way to clean my system once a week? I didn't clean it so often before, ever. Also, what is the gpu or HDD? I'm not so great with acronyms, and if I wanted to upgrade the gpu/HDD what would I upgrade it to? Thanks in advanced, I truly appreciate it.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 6:27pm
My pleasure, easiest way to clean your system is to use a can air once a week, if you do it once a week then there is barely anything to clean so that in itself will make it as easy as possible.

you can also add fan filters or ask DS to install them for you and just clean those once a week.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit or video card

upgrade your HDD to a faster HDD later this year, the new SSD drives should have better prices, or at least drop the prices on the current OCZ vertex drives.

depending on your resolution, you might need to add more GPU, up to 1900 x 1200 you need one card, 1900 x 1200 to 2560 x 1600 you might need 2 GPUs (2 x 275 GTX) and for 2560 x 1600 and above you might need 3 GPUs (3 x 275 GTX)

when you are ready or need to upgrade any of those things, come back here and I/we can help you to do so, they are very easy, and when I say easy I mean a 12 year old could do it, its one of those things that after you do it, you are like, that was much much easier then I thought
Yui View Drop Down

Quote Yui Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

My pleasure, easiest way to clean your system is to use a can air once a week, if you do it once a week then there is barely anything to clean so that in itself will make it as easy as possible.

you can also add fan filters or ask DS to install them for you and just clean those once a week.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit or video card

upgrade your HDD to a faster HDD later this year, the new SSD drives should have better prices, or at least drop the prices on the current OCZ vertex drives.

depending on your resolution, you might need to add more GPU, up to 1900 x 1200 you need one card, 1900 x 1200 to 2560 x 1600 you might need 2 GPUs (2 x 275 GTX) and for 2560 x 1600 and above you might need 3 GPUs (3 x 275 GTX)

when you are ready or need to upgrade any of those things, come back here and I/we can help you to do so, they are very easy, and when I say easy I mean a 12 year old could do it, its one of those things that after you do it, you are like, that was much much easier then I thought

Thank you so much once again! If I were to purchase those fan filters how much would they cost? And how hard is it to clean? Are they anything like tap water filters?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 9:12pm
To be honest I don't use filters myself so I can't tell you exactly how it is, but you should be able to just wipe the top of the filter and that would clean it, you would do that once a week.

As for cost and stuff you have to call DS and ask them, I'm sure they have ones they like to use and they can tell you prices and stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply