FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration Decisions

Post Date: 2011-01-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
patentattorneypaul View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote patentattorneypaul Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration Decisions
    Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:52am
Cooling on the 2600K. Anyone have a take on how much the additional overclock would be on the Asetek Cooler v Noctua? I am thinking about the same. Similar if I opt for stage 3 frost chill or a stage sub zero, what expected range increase of overclock should I see?

DS offers to real premium cases the DT02 by Silverstone and the 800d by corsair (assasain and hailstorm). I hear the hailstorm is better for liquid cooling, but I haven't heard why people feel that way. Any thoughts?

What's everyones thoughts about the best performance to price ratio for video cards? I was thinking either the SLI overclocked gtx 460 or the SLI gtx 560 Ti? Any other contenders including single video card configs?

Anyone know if the new FT03 (Enix system) has anywhere near the cooling of the DT02 or 800d? How much OC would I expect to lose (and fan noise to gain?)

Anyone have any opinions on the 79 option noise dampening option? How much quieter is it?

Anyone know if the FT02 or 800d have any front USB ports? Was thinking of getting the media bay upfront but noted DS says it disables the front media ports?

Any thoughts on the above are appreciated.

-Paul
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:04pm
asetek is not real lC cooling, its performance is the same as a good air cooler.

your oc depends on what stage you pick, so both will give you the same oc.

800d is good for LC because it has lot of room, but thats for stage3 or higher cooling.

best video card depends on your res and what you want to do with it, are you gonna be gaming? remember rule number one for gpu is "always go with a single solution card that gives you what you want". 460 sli, bad idea.

for air cooling I would go with a case like haf, if you want good airflow.

noise dampening options is not good, trap noise, trap heat, and no matter what you do, 99% of your noise comes from the gpu's fans when underload, there is nothing you can do to keep that noise low, unless you put LC on gpu.

depends on your mobo, the 800d does have front panel and mine works, if you have enough usb headers, it will be connected.

Quote patentattorneypaul Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:46pm
Thanks, DST4ME,

I read much controversy about choosing for example an SLI 460 card v a single 480 card (or even a single 580x card, making the wallet adjustment for price.) While a one card option is a good one, the 460 card is such a good card for the money, I'd think an SLI config might deserve to be an exception. Not sure if the 560 is as good, price/cost. (Try searching for sli gtx 460 v gtx 580 in google, I see a gamut of opinions as to which config is better.)

I've read about the Haf case as well, as an air cooling case, it is supposed to be one of the best.

Do you mean that noise insulation will not be very effective vs the roar for the graphics cards fans under load? I would think noise dampening would reduce noise moving through the case.

Thanks again, Paul
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 5:54pm
I know about the 460, but sli has its own problems, its always better to go with one powerful card then sli, and again this all depends on your resoution and if you gonna be gamming or not.

sli 460 for 1600 x 1200 is not better then single 570 at that res, price and performance, whether you notice the extra performance or not, is a very important.

we don't recommend the 580 here anyways due to price, 570 is a much better bang for the buck, again depending on your resolution.

noise dampening will have a bit of effect, but not enough, those little fans on the gpu are loud, also you trap noise, you will endup trapping heat, you don't want to trap heat. we don't recommend the noise package to anybody here.

Quote patentattorneypaul Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:16pm
I plan to use the computer for gaming (latest titles, but RTS games mainly) on a 1920 by 1080 screen, for video compression and editing, plus general other tasks the computer will be overpowered to perform. I did plan to go with the latest crucial SSD as I hear the speed increases from SSD are very impressive. I'll take your advise about the one the GTX 570 card. Think I'll go with 1 KW power supply in case I want to a second one later. Your explanation about the 800d case made sense. You prefer the HAF case over the FT02? I have heard they are both pretty awesome air cooling cases (hard to choose between the two.) I was leaning towards the FT02 because of the vertical cooling and convenience of a top mounted cables. Along the same lines, any experience with the upgrade fans (Zalman performance + fan controller). Think they'd be most helpful in the HAF and FT02 case, since they are air cooled. Thanks for your thoughts.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:33pm
Do the games you play support sli? if they do then go with the pro mobo and the 1000w corsair psu.

for ssd speed is not everything, reliability is very important, intel is the one to go with in ssd.

haf has more room and it has 3 x 230mm fans and a 140mm fan, and you can add more fans, if you want 4 x 200mm fans then go with haf x, they have better airlfow and its easier to work with them IMHO.

forget the fan upgrades, they are loud, haf does not need any fan upgrades, as it has great air flow (haf = high air flow).
 Post Reply Post Reply