Configuration help/advice

Post Date: 2008-10-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration help/advice
    Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 1:52am
First off before i ask some questions here is my current configuration

ticket number: 189572

Specifications:
Chassis: Antec 900
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz (1333MHz Front Side Bus) (6MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (CLEARANCE PRICED)
Extreme Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Additional Case Fans)
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Okay i guess my first question would be should i keep the current e8600 or change it to a quadcore 2.86(9550).  I ask this because the market is slowly moving towards supporting quad core in more programs.  My other question is my choice of overclocking, i was doing some reading and i saw your ram speed can only be utitlized if your FSB is higher or equal to it.  So i should be okay keeping my ram speed at 1333 even if my fsb is raised during OC'ing or should i let them OC the ram.  As far as price goes this is really the most i wanted to spend i just wanted some input as to what processor type and my ram selection.  Also i know when you oc'ing your reducing the life of your processor but ive seen some articles where they have kept the voltage the same with achieving some very good results.  I wanted to know what would be a typical clock speed digital storm usually achieves and wether this is on the safe side or is it pushing it.  thank you guys for your responses ahead of time.

edit- How is my case choice with cooling since i picked stage 3 and overclocking the cpu?

Mike

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 02 Oct 2008 at 2:03am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 1:58am
ticket number please
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 2:03am
Originally posted by DST4ME

ticket number please

sorry, updated original post with ticket number
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 2:17am
DS OCs on the moderate side I think, if you know what you are doing, after a short time you will be able to OC better, but for a new person, their OC is very good.

with a q9550s I have seen here you are looking at speeds around 3.4 to 3.6GHz, last few were at 3.6GHz as far as I remember.

I say go quad, just because quads can do more then dual cores when it comes to multi tasking and they are the future, to be honest soon quads will be replaced by 8 cores and soon after that possibly even more(if they figure out how games would utilize quads better). so here is my idea.

creative is good but its been having lot of issues, specially with vista so I upgraded your sound card.

now keep in mind you don't need to get a sound card right now, you can always add that later.

Also down the road you may want to replace the first HDD with a veloci Raptor(fast) or a SSD (fast)and use the 500GB as a second drive for media/personal files and the first and the faster drive for OS, apps and games only and you would enjoy improvement in your experience if you do that.

Upgraded your case, HAF is a great case and at stage 2, its actually at stage 3.

I put the OC on ram cause it will be under warranty when you play with it and it will include the fan for the ram too.

change your ram to OCZ, cause corsair has been crapping out.

here you go Ticket# 189815 --- Price: $2301 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Wireless Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink Upgrade (Copper Heatpipes)
Internal Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Modifications: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

I like to match ram to FSB, specially for budget builds that way if not in OC, you full speed of ram is in use, so you can't lose. Having said that, higher ram speed should help you get higher OC but that is for experts IMHO.

Just a bit of background on me so you know were I'm coming from, I'm a customer just like you and I'm just waiting for the new chip to come out so I can get my own DS system (hopefully by December), I'm not affiliated with DS, but I do believe in their company and I love the way they handle their customer service.

hope that helps, also remember you can upgrade this next year or so to a qx9770 which starts at 3.2GHz and should easily get you over 4.0GHz with liquid cooling.

only thing this system is missing is liquid cooling for the cpu only, which would take it to $2551

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Oct 2008 at 2:21am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 2:27am
i really appreciate your help and will prob order the exact system you made for me.  My only question is why did you choose home premium 64 bit over ultimate 64bit.  Thank you for all your help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 2:32am
Well to be honest most of us don't need ultimate your money is better spend on some other stuff.

however take a look here and see if there is something premium is missing that ultimate has that you badly need

if you see something there that is worth the extra money then choose the ultra

good luck, I have to go out but I will be back in about an hour, so if you have any questions for me, I would be back then

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Oct 2008 at 2:34am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 2:43am

Well to be honest most of us don't need ultimate your money is better spend on some other stuff.

however take a look here and see if there is something premium is missing that ultimate has that you badly need

if you see something there that is worth the extra money then choose the ultra

good luck, I have to go out but I will be back in about an hour, so if you have any questions for me, I would be back then

you rock! I actually do have one more question as far as the sound card goes.  When i do my gaming since there is other people living in my house i always use some decent razr stereo headphones.  Since im only gonna be using stereo headphones does it even make sense to have such a good sound card or would the onboard audio provide basically the same expierence?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 3:46am
To be honest I think it all depends on what is good sound, for me both would do just fine, I think if you are picky about your sound then the sound card is for you, if you are not picky then integrated should do, the mombo does have a 7.1 audio.

Here is what I'm thinking, putting myself in your shoes, I'm thinking, I don't get the sound card, when I get the system I will see how I like the sound, if I don't like the integrated, I will just order the sound card.

Installing a sound card is as easy as 1, 2, done. if you have never done anything like that and you are wondering how difficult it is, its very simple, even a cave man could do it.

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Oct 2008 at 3:47am
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 3:01pm

i actually like my onboard sound better than my old soundblaster from creative that was in my dellOuch

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 4:02pm
well i decided to keep the soundcard.  I dont want to get a comp and not be happy and i really dont feal like fiddling with it. Just wanted to say one last thank you on the help making tweaks to my system.  I should be ordering the comp in prob a week and a half. Tongue
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 4:07pm
good luck, if you wait a bit next month the prices should drop more
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 4:47pm

good luck, if you wait a bit next month the prices should drop more
i would love to wait for the new processors to come out(i7) but as it is my comp is pushing 5 years old and u know how technology works in "just a few more months" theres always gonna be something i could wait for lol
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 7:56pm

Another quick question since everyone has been so helpful for another $130ish would it be worth getting the 150gb velicraptor? will u see a noticable difference over the standard 500gb WD   

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:12pm
yes the raptor is the way to go, faster rpm = faster seek time raptor is always worth it

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Oct 2008 at 8:12pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:13pm

yes the raptor is the way to go, faster rpm = faster seek time raptor is always worth it
lol arg see what waiting around does.  It really didnt make sense to spend all this money and have basically a storage drive as a main HD.  This should make the system an around good comp beside it being water cooled.

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 07 Oct 2008 at 8:14pm
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:19pm

The differences arnt huge huge, not money wise at least. I have the 300GB Velicraptor. While its a great drive, and indeed maybe 25-30% faster it feels like..its not 250 bucks worth of performance.....

E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by RiceEatin2000GT

lol arg see what waiting around does.  It really didnt make sense to spend all this money and have basically a storage drive as a main HD.  This should make the system an around good comp beside it being water cooled.

actually what I was thinking for cases that have your budget, is this:

right now you get started with a 500GB drive, after about 3 month the prices of Raptor has gone down, now you get a Raptor for less price then now, and put the Raptor as HDD1 and move the 500GB to HDD2.

this way you get your PC now, and get the Raptor in time and payless. and endup with the raptor HDD1 and 500GB HDD2 setup as everybody else has

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Oct 2008 at 8:29pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:33pm

Originally posted by RiceEatin2000GT

actually what I was thinking for cases that have your budget, is this:

right now you get started with a 500GB drive, after about 3 month the prices of Raptor has gone down, now you get a Raptor for less price then now, and put the Raptor as HDD1 and move the 500GB to HDD2.

this way you get your PC now, and get the Raptor in time and payless. and endup with the raptor HDD1 and 500GB HDD2 setup as everybody else has
yea def a good idea, the reason i considered this is because i got email saying i could get an additional 109$ off the price of any computer i ordred within a few months.  I plan on ordering the comp next week reguardless so i figured to take advantage:D
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:37pm
In that case, congrats on your raptor boss got to love DS
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 10:32pm
I got the same offer but they refused to honor it after a while, use it quick. Geek

PS: Almost the same.

Edited by Nomak - 07 Oct 2008 at 10:33pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Nomak

I got the same offer but they refused to honor it after a while, use it quick. Geek

PS: Almost the same.

it says "in the next few months" im def ordering this next week so they better offer it to when i call lol
Nomak View Drop Down

Quote Nomak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 1:48am
They told me it was a computer generated discount, but it came from a  <name@dso>:

Please note, I am only able to extend you this special price until Sunday, September 14, 2008 (72-Hours). If you are not in the market to purchase a new computer at the moment, and are planning to make a purchase within a few months, give us a call when you are ready and I will be more than happy to give you this offer again.

So i wouldnt *wait* if i were you, cause i got burned! I should probably mention that it wasnt a deal breaker for me as i have decided to wait for new hardware to come out and go from there, but his wording couldve used a few tweaks as the offer was only valid until said date.
 Sleepy

Edited by Nomak - 08 Oct 2008 at 2:05am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Nomak

They told me it was a computer generated discount, but it came from a  <name@dso>:

Please note, I am only able to extend you this special price until Sunday, September 14, 2008 (72-Hours). If you are not in the market to purchase a new computer at the moment, and are planning to make a purchase within a few months, give us a call when you are ready and I will be more than happy to give you this offer again.

So i wouldnt *wait* if i were you, cause i got burned! I should probably mention that it wasnt a deal breaker for me as i have decided to wait for new hardware to come out and go from there, but his wording couldve used a few tweaks as the offer was only valid until said date.
 Sleepy

yea i agree that needs to be changed if they arent going to honor it
 Post Reply Post Reply