FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration-RAID for M.2 SSD Drives??

Post Date: 2020-11-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BakoBeef View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BakoBeef Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration-RAID for M.2 SSD Drives??
    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:20pm
Budget:
NA FINALLY GETTING WHAT I WANT...and it aint cheap!

Ordered a config but have a question about RAID. I will have 3 identical M.2 SSD drives. RAID yes or no and why??

Thanks!

Edited by BakoBeef - 30 Nov 2020 at 8:21pm
Beef
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:22pm
Welcome to DS.
Awesome

Hopefully one of the gurus can provide an answer. Why would you want RAID, speed or security? If security, the failure rate of SSDs is close to 0 since they are not mechanical like HDDS.. If for speed, they are ungodly fast already but ....
Good luck.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 3:47am
What hoserator said.

You will not need RAID for speed. If you be sure to get an M.2 NVMe drive for your primary drive, it will start everything immediately. Boot in <1/2 minute. Security is a different matter, but with an NVMe primary you can back up to an external incrementally really fast, too. up to/over five times as fast.

Don't make the mistake many do and get the "DS Performance" M>2, they are SATA, not NVMe.
DigitalCow View Drop Down

Quote DigitalCow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:34pm
I tend to agree with the others in that if the machine is primarily for gaming, there isn't really a need for RAID. Generally, the reasons for RAID is either to combine 2 physical disks to appear as one larger disk, or for redundancy in case of a disk failure. If you plan on doing any kind of machine learning or processing with data sets, like another fellow on this message board was planning on doing, then that may be a time to consider a RAID for your secondary disks. For just gaming though, RAID is probably un-necessary. Even if your disk dies, you can re-download the games from Origin or Steam.

I should also mention that if you are considering a RAID, my own personal recommendation is a total of 4 secondary disks in the RAID for a RAID10 configuration - a combination of striping and redundancy. Also, I generally recommend hardware RAID, which I believe is an option while configuring a machine here in Digital Storm. I am not familiar with the exact feature-set of the cards offered here in Digital Storm, and the hardware RAID card is a single point of failure, but it may give a few more options regarding the RAID types that can be setup and also perform better than a software RAID.
BakoBeef View Drop Down

Quote BakoBeef Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:37pm
Thank You!
Beef
 Post Reply Post Reply