FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Considering DS for next computer

Post Date: 2011-08-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sturm Rider View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Considering DS for next computer
    Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
Hi all,

Just discovered Digital Storm and I will be upgrading from a Dell shortly and may be joining the family. I have probably overbuilt this machine and it is a bit more then I was hoping in the price, but I am trying to prepare as much as possible for future needs. Any advice and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help. Please pardon me if I am a little terse in the messages I have always had problems communicating through e-mail:(

Budget:
3500++

Expectations:
Speed and reliability.

Usage:
Heavy Graphic Design including 3D modeling.

Special Needs:
Expect to go to 3 monitors in the near future one of them a Cintiq.

Saved Ticket #: 583804

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm PROTUS
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: !CLEARANCE: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad-Core) (Extreme Performance) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b> System Memory: 12GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX (3x4GB Sticks) (CMT12GX3M3A2000C9) <b></b> Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended) Expansion Bay: Dual Solid State Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay <b></b> Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series) <b></b> Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1.5TB Hitachi Deskstar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: 7K3000) Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Video Card: NVIDIA PNY Quadro 4000 2GB (Outputs: DVI, DisplayPort) <b></b> Add-on Card: - No Thanks Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only <b></b> H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b> Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b> Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue) <b></b>
Enhancements: Strike-X AeroCool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) <b></b> Chassis Mods: - No Thanks Noise Reduction: - No Thanks Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended) Boost Video Card: Option Not Available Boost Memory: Option Not Available Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b> Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD) Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 4 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty (Highly Recommended)
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 11:33pm
Will 6-core computing be beneficial to what you're going to be using the system for?

- 2k Mhz RAM most people would say is useless in the gaming scenario, though I'm not sure whether or not it's beneficial in graphical design.
- PSU could be bumped up to a Corsair HX750
- Is the double solid state hot-swap bay necessary? The Digital Storm PROTUS/Hailstorm/800D already has a forward facing 4-drive hot-swap bay.
- As for graphics...eh...I really have no idea how to go about workstation cards, will leave that to someone else
- Zalman fans most will say is loud, and custom-ordered Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans are preferred for liquid cooling efficiency.
- Fan controllers I'd say are nice, but personally I've been against giving myself manual control of my fans because I don't want to have to continually observe and adapt to temperatures. I'd rather just have my fans set at one speed and the system be stable all the time at that speed.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 11:44pm
I don't think the 2k Mhz RAM is a drawback for graphic Design. This is something I will have to look into a little more.
I will bump up the PSU.
I did not realize that the PROTUS had a 4 drive hot swap bay already definitely don't need another one.
I will have to look into the fans and drop the fan controller.

Thank you for your feedback.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 11:48pm
Also, about the 4-drive bay, I forgot to mention it was in the 3.5" form factor, given that the solid-state bays are in the 2.5" form factor. They do, however, have tapped holes that will accept a 2.5" solid state drive for swapping.

Speaking of holes, the bay still requires the user to remove screws that secure each drive into the swapping caddies, so they're not tool-less. I'm not sure what kind of securing method the hot-swap option offers.

Edited by ablahblah - 06 Aug 2011 at 11:49pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 11:53pm
That will work fine.

The 2K mhz RAM is the best offered on the Graphic Design work stations. The other RAM is 1600 mhz so I think the 2k RAM will prove beneficial when working on 3D or I have multiple images up.

Thank you again.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 1:54am
You will see very little difference from the 2k ram

the highend platform of sandy bridge is coming out in oct/nov and will be putting the 9xx cpus to shame, for what you are talking about you should wait for that.

have a look here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=15132

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:19am
That looks like quite a chip. It is probably going to be quite pricey initially, but maybe there are a few other areas I can cut back on.

Thank you for your help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 1:26pm
It will be more expensive yes but it has more power.

you can wait and see by that time the price on the 9xx chips will have dropped also.

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 1:32pm
I will probably wait, but in the meantime any other feedback I get on the system will help.

Thank you very much for yours. I will keep watching for more suggestions I am thinking more will come during the week. After all people have to find something to do while they work:)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 1:40pm
Well to be honest from what I have seen the 2600K will do much better then the 975 in most of the tasks you mentioned so I would recommend you move to the p67 platform. but it does not have the quadro card that will be what you want.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Aug 2011 at 1:41pm
JStones View Drop Down

Quote JStones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 5:39pm
Im sure you can request a quadro card for a p67 build

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 5:49pm
Sorry been away from the computer a little while. I am still learning components so forgive me if I am a little lost.

What is a p67 build?

Thanks again.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 12:03am
P67 is a common chipset used by current Intel mainstream processors. It is the higher end chipset that allows the processor to be overclocked, which is a feature it shares with its hybrid cousin Z68. Z68 lets you use the integrated graphics processor, which I imagine would be useless to you anyways, so P67 is a better option.
Current P67-based Sandy Bridge processor systems have been tested by many sources and defeated past Core i7-9xx series processors in performance. Given this amount of power in a mainstream chip, we're eagerly waiting to see what kind of insane performance the high-end X79 platform chip will be able to do later this year. I'd wait honestly, since the new tech is just around the corner.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 9:48am
I will definitely wait on the chipset, though I find it interesting the P67 isn't offered as an option on the Primus.

Are there any other suggestions on the build I have made. Thanks for your help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:43pm
If this was when the x58 was the best you could get, then I would do it this way:

Ticket Number: 584520

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 6:50pm
Thank you for your feedback. Do you still think it is a good motherboard? If so maybe I don't need the Rampage.

Thanks again.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 12:55am
If I don't think a part is good, I don't recommend it

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 4:14am
Thanks. I think it was the way you worded your initial reply. When you said "when the x58 was the best you could get". I was a little confused by the wording.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 1:55pm
Well when I said best I meant performance-wise referring to the x58 platform and not the mobo itself.

for your money in a few month you will be able to get a lot more performance vs teh x58 platform.

but within each platform are great parts to get.

so my comment was referring to the platform itself and not the mobo.

Quote Sturm Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:39pm
Thank you, I think I understand. You are talking the chipset as well as the other parts. I think I have already decided to wait. I will be watching for the new items and try making a new configuration then.

Thank you for your help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 2:45pm
Yes I'm talking about the whole system, x58 vs x79, cpu/mobo/ram/etc, when you compare a full system of x58 vs x79, the x79 is the one to get for your money nowadays.

Our pleasure and good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply