Post Date: 2021-03-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
akdiesel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Console Convert
    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 7:35pm
Hey everyone! I've seen some pretty informative posts about builds and wanted to ask what the gurus here think would be the right setup for me.

I'm a lifelong PS gamer looking to come over to the PC Master Race. With that said, I need everything but a desk and chair I'm fairly certain with my build I went way overboard so I wanted sage advice.

Budget:
$3,000 to $4,000. This includes a monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Expectations:
I play VR regularly and want to expand my library to PC games. I will be playing Half Life Alyx, COD, Cyberpunk and Resident Evil. Cool RGB lighting haha

Usage:
I have kids in homeschool, general web surfing, occasional photo/video editing and gaming with the above titles/VR. Using it as my main video streaming device for Netflix, Disney Plus...etc

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: 3822493

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Halo (RGB Fans) (Remote Control Only)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: Digital Storm Premium Mouse Pad (Standard Size) (Stitched Edges) <br><strong></strong>
Display: ASUS 27 inch VG27AQ (G-SYNC) (2K Resolution) (165Hz Refresh) (1ms Response) (2560x1440) (HDR10) <br><strong></strong>
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Digital Storm Devastator Bundle (RGB) Keyboard & Mouse <br><strong></strong>
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks

Edited by akdiesel - 17 Mar 2021 at 7:58pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 3:54am
I think you've gone overkill on the CPU as though photo/video editing were to be the main focus. I think we know gaming is what you'll do mostly, so let's dial that back, save some money, and get a more up-to-date CPU/ mobo combination. Have a look at this:

3823056     $3816. Too see it in the configurator, go to main page, upper right > "Load Config". Copy/paste the #.

I'm very confident the more cutting-edge gaming CPU will perform up to all your expectations. Have a look here:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X/4057vs4085

Paired with the upgraded MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, this proc is my favorite combo for multiple use with emphasis on gaming. The mobo has better thermal controls built in and is a stronger selection from which to upgrade the CPU if you ever want more cores.

The DS M.2 SSD is a mistake. The PCIe 4 Firecuda is up to 10 TIMES FASTER. With your OS, apps you need, maintenance software, and a bunch of your most favorite games on there, you have a game-changing speed demon to boot, load and scan from. The secondary storage should always be SSD if it's in the budget. That will be your main games library. Great load times from there. You could go larger, but the 2GB SSDs are too pricy here. It'll take awhile to fill 1.5 TB, and an additional SSD is easy to install later, honest.

Everything else is as you wanted it. I don't think I missed anything. That's a good monitor, and priced okay, but you might look around a bit to be sure.

akdiesel View Drop Down

Quote akdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:27am
Cretae, thanks a ton for helping me out!

The performance difference between the 5800 R7 and the 3950 R9 is surprising. Plus being new to PCs I'm not as fully educated yet about the hardware as I should be.

I appreciate the updates to my config with speed in mind. I'm pretty impatient lol.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 3:20am
Happy to help.
 Post Reply Post Reply