Constant Reboot after Installing New Graphics Card

Post Date: 2014-06-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Constant Reboot after Installing New Graphics Card
    Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 9:32am
Hi all. Have a DS computer I7 running Win7. Just upgraded from nvidia 560 ti to a 750. Now computer stuck in reboot loop. As boot ends, screen goes blank and hard drive flash on for a second like Win7 about to load. Light goes out and system reboots over and over. Any help?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 10:02am
Sounds like a bad 750.  I had a constant reboot, very similar symptoms,  with a bad card.  Try reinstalling the 560ti to help isolate the problem.  

Could be a driver, something you bumped loose, etc. 
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 1:07pm
Ok, I put the old card in and everything is fine. One thing I noticed when the 750 Ti card was in it, the Razar logo on my keyboard never lit up despite both usb cords being plugged in. Sometime on reboot it would not pick up the keyboard but when it did, the logo was never lit up. I have a Corsair TX 650 power supply. The 750 ti only calls for a 400W power supply and in fact it only has one six pin power connector vs two on my old card. Nevertheless with the keyboard issue I kinda think it very well may be a power issue. Any other suggestions?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 1:33pm
I think the keyboard issue isn't your psu but the 750ti, being defective, might be lugging down your psu because of an internal short, etc. A bad card can cause motherboard issues like a USB problem.   If the keyboard works and no rebooting with your 560 then it's the 750 with a problem. RMA it.

Most 750ti need no power connector so I'm guessing you picked up a overclocked card, like an Asus, that requires a single 6 pin. Your psu has plenty of juice for the new card.
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 3:29pm
Thanks. It's an EVGA 750 Ti Superclocked. P/N: 02G-P4-3759-KB. Kids gave it to me early for Father's Day. Didn't want an overclocked card so may exchange it.
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 8:51am
I returned the Nvidia 750 Ti card. I am guessing it was the card not the power supply since my EVGA 560 Ti card says it minimum specs are a 500W power supply and the 750 Ti was only 400W. My computer is running fine with the 560 Ti back in it. Why not swap for a different card? Well after doing additional reading I'm not sure the 750 Ti is a sufficient upgrade to the 560 Ti to warranty a $200 investment. Seems as though in some of the benchmarks I saw a GeForce 680 was better than the 750 Ti. Not sure that's accurate but think I may save the money for now. Wonder what is the best upgrade at a decent price?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 11:35am
Yep, the 750ti is a small, maybe 10-20% bump over the 560ti.    The gtx 760 is a nice big increase in performance for maybe $250 or so.   

Here's a comparison......

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/858?vs=854

A good 50% , and some case much more, increase,  StrongBig%20Smile
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 7:46am
OK, one final question here. This one is a keyboard problem but it cropped up after all this video card swapping. I have a Razer Anansi keyboard. This happened when I swapped to the 750 Ti, but is still occurring now after going back to my original card. When I do a cold bootup, the keyboard is not detected. I do a reboot by pressing the power button and it is detected and everything is fine until I shut down and do another cold bootup. Now it is never detected on cold bootup but is on reboot. Annoying problem. The legacy is set to detect keyboard in the BIOS. Should I try turning this off since the keyboard is a USB keyboard with 2 usb pluggins? This just occurred to me but I can't try it out as I am at work. I should also mention I see 2 keyboards under hardware. A HID keyboard and the Anansi keyboard.

Edited by Steveski - 17 Jun 2014 at 7:50am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 8:02am
I would re-install the keyboard with the disc that came with it or download the latest driver from the manufacturers website and run that.     Sometimes uninstalling it in task manager, by right clicking the keyboard and rebooting will get it working as Windows installs a new device.  Then you can update the driver.

Post Reply Post Reply