Post Date: 2014-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooling - Noctua vs. Corsair H100i
    Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 7:01am
Hi Folks,
I was wondering what the general consensus is on cooling systems.  I really have it down to the Noctua or the Corsair closed loop H100i.  My preference really is for air cooled but DS is still only carrying the older NH-14 and not the NH-15.  I was hoping by now that the NH-15 would be available as to special order this is another $45 which makes it like 1.5 times the cost of it normally. I'm thinking of the 5960X processor with a Stage 1 overclock perhaps (could either of these coolers do a Stage 2)?  Any input is greatly appreciated!!  Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 7:09am
Stage 2 on that chip with those coolers would be a great question for DS.  I like Noctua myself, no surprise there Hahaha, but The H100i is a nice cooler.    

Think I'll do some checking on Noctua with the 8 core.  I'm not very hopeful ,but if Noctua can't then maybe sealed units can't either.   Just me guessing.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Oct 2014 at 7:25am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm
Yeah - everything I'm seeing is that it would be a stretch to get that overclock without true water cooling. I really rather do air cooling.  I'm inclined to go in that direction.  My issue is the NH-14 covers the first PCI-E slot and isn't as effective as the NH-15.  From what I can tell, the Corsair cooler is a little better than the NH-14 but not better than the NH-15.  If you could let me know what you find, I'd appreciate it! 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:02pm
It's tough finding anything about the 5960x with Noctua, and what I did find found the Noctua struggling with anything over 4.3 -for example. The liquid coolers did better, but not much.    Just me, but I would get the 6 core 5930k, 2 less cores to cool, and put a piece of the savings into Noctua D15 special order. Best of both worlds.   The 5960x is high end just for the sake of high end unless you have apps that might actually use it. It's your baby and I do understand your desires but that's my opinion.

I would still ask DS what testing results they might have had. They'll be honest and straightforward with you.

Not sure this helps or just adds to your anxiety.

Let us know what DS suggests.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:06pm
Full Disclosure: I am a Noctua Fanboy (though I stretch the definition of "boy" to its limit Big%20Smile)

The NH-15 does have a 6 year warranty, compared to the Corsair's 5 year warranty, I know you're looking into other details, but its something to consider.

Also, yes, the NH-15 outperforms the H100i and is more quiet. Last I looked into it the NH-15 was about 1C better than the H100i when it was on Maximum mode and about 7C cooler when the H100i was on quiet mode. But again, these are just general temperatures, not specific to your O/C situation.

Edited by Tidgxor - 23 Oct 2014 at 2:07pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:24pm
Not many Noctua Fanboys around anymore.

Tidgxor, ever figure out how to put the Noctua into your Bolt.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:27pm
I decided it was easier to put the Bolt inside of the Noctua LOL
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:30pm
   Nice one.     I'd ask for pics but.....
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:49pm
I thought about selecting the h100i for my next system but kinda concerned about the pump failing or leakage and the updates for the software
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:00pm
Thanks folks.  Tidgxor, thanks for that information.  It confirms what I've been seeing also.  I'm definitely predisposed to Noctua.  If the NH-15 was offered as a standard part, that's the way I would definitely go.  My issue is with the special order for the NH-15 as 1). $45 charge (which is almost 1.5 x the cost of the part itself) and most importantly 2). the warranty - it's only a 1 year warranty on special order parts and you can't return the rig due to the special order fan (not that I would think I would need to do so but if I have issues not dealing with the fan it seems a bit draconian you can't return it and thus takes that option off the table).  Thus do I pay 1.5 times for a part with a more limited warranty (and more money for the rig) vs. something that probably is a bit better than the NH-14 and is less money and a full warranty.  I was hoping by now that the NH-15 would be offered...Cry
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 6:14am
There's a lot of good information in here in regards to the two. But what we need to look at is a couple of things such as air flow and performance.

The NH-14/15 is a great air cooler. It's one of the best there is. But as bprat said it kind of starts to lose to water cooling once you get into the mid 4ghz's. On top of that it's very big and blocky. While it won't hinder you from being able to install ram in any slots or effect your gpu's in any way, it is quite large.

Reason's why I'd pick a H100i over a Noctua is quite simple. It's not because it's quieter (and it is, don't let anyone fool you. You can run more fans on an H100i in a push pull config at much lower rpm's making it much quieter than the NH-14/15. Though don't take much quieter too far, as both can be quiet as long as you're using PWM fans on your NH-14/15). On top of sound output, the H100i does better with you're higher cored cpu's. Now before anyone says "Not true, I have an NH-14/15 on an AMD 8-core and it does just as well if not better than an intel". First off, it's amd you're using so you're already "special". I say it's better for your higher cored cpu's such as intel because most of the time you're able to overclock all of your 6-8 cores to higher frequencies considered to based frequency, hence higher voltages, hence higher heat output... and yet better heat dissipation.

One of the last reasons I'd pick the H100i over the NH-14/15 is the same reason I mentioned to someone else. Air flow. Let's say you're going with the Corsair 760T or 900D case. You're going to want a lot more air coming in than going out to maintain your positive pressure. If you have an NH-14/15, it'll block any fans you put in the top, thus given mess your air flow route. You can aim it up, but then it messes up your back exhaust. You can aim it back, but then it messes up your airflow at the top.

Air flow is important here, because you're mostly likely wanting to buy some ram that is higher than 1866mhz. Thus, it will generate some heat. So you want that air coming in and blowing over it. I mentioned this to someone else in another post. You're overclocking your cpu, you have higher frequency memory. That higher frequency = more heat coming from your cpu because of the ICM. All of this puts more of a strain on your chipset, so it's generating more heat. All of these things mean you want colder, positive air pressure in your system. At the end of the day the NH-14/15 can't do this for you.

So it really comes down to you. If you really do want a quieter system, longer life, better air flow (which btw, better air flow = better positive pressure. Better positive pressure = much less dust inside your case.)

Fan boy or not, and yes I'm quite a corsair fan boy and love their closed loop systems. While I don't use one in my main system, I do have one in my guest PC and it's so worth the slightly extra cost over the NH-14/15 for the exact reasons I just said.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:14am
Lots of good information thus far - I appreciate everyone's input.  FYI - the case I'll be getting is the Corsair Air 540.  I'm looking at the 5960X chip more than likely (overkill I know but my computer now is 8+ yrs old so I don't upgrade much).  I'll also add the upgraded fans to the package (Corsair Air Flow performance fans).

Meller, one thing, when you indicate 'water cooled', does that include the AIOs?  I wasn't totally clear on that.  Bprat suggested also asking DS if the H100i (or Noctua) could do the Stage 2 overclock.  From what it sounds, it seems the H100i may be able to do that but not the Noctua?  I also heard on the H100i to possibly switch out the fans on it for Noctua F-12s?  Also, Arkansas does bring up a point with the AIOs and the pumps failing that has me a bit concerned. 

I do appreciate everyone's help on this. 
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:49am
My next computer i buy from here will be the Air 540, its just a awesome looking case and i like the fact that all the cords and psu go on the other side.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:51am
I swear by corsair products like no other. If it does fail, it doesn't stop one day and bam, your cpu is fried. You'll hear it dying. Which just doesn't happen. I have a corsair H100i running on my living room pc, and it's on 24/7 and has been for... months.

Well custom loops will always out performan AIO's. But an AIO will out perform air at higher clocks. And yes, and AIO can handle 4.6-4.8ghz. I've had a Corsair h100 (the non-i version) handle a 4.7ghz cpu for 24/7 usage no problem.) Temps stay in the high 20's but usually in the low to mid 30's which is really good for your socket 2011 cpu's (that includes 2011-e).

And you can put whatever 120mm fans you want on the really unless they have some weird, non-standard screw hole placement or size. But the noctua fans should be fine. I personally use Corsair SP120's for all of my intake slots. But that's just me. Everyone has their preference on what they feel is their favorite fan.

I truly feel that if you want any stage of OC, and you're not running a customer loop, a AIO is your best best, just because of everything I mentioned in my prior post.

Truthfully, either will work. I'm like you though and I'm about overkill and want to optimize everything I have to it's fullest.

If you truly want to go overkill, get a custom loop put in there. It'll be so much quieter, run cooler, and allow for better overclocking. If everything stays cool you could possibly squeeze out a few more mhz on your cpu. Put those cards under water, and you'll wonder if your pc is even on since you won't hear anything. GPU's love water cooling.

Sorry I got off track. AIO can do stage 2 and H100i can handle other brands of fans than just stock or corsair brand fans.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply