FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling on the "Extreme" Builds

Post Date: 2009-09-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Agilulf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Agilulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooling on the "Extreme" Builds
    Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 1:08am
Hello all,

As you all know, Digital Storm has been offering some prebuilds that are very desirable. Specifically, the Extreme builds seem to give a ridiculous amount of firepower for a reasonable cost. 2 GTX 295's with a Core i7 processor is a good deal at $3000.

However, does this firepower come with a price?

Before I purchase one of the prebuilds I want to hear some opinions on the cooling situations of the Extreme 1 and Extreme 4. 2 GPUs produce a lot of heat, especially powerhouses like the 275 and 295. While both of these builds come with a water cooler for the CPU, there does not seem to be extra cooling for the GPU.

In short, do the cooling solutions on the two prebuilds mentioned above prohibit optimal performance?

If so, I've loaded up a build with this ticket: 328859.

Does my build exhibit cooling paranoia? Can I get by with just a CPU cooler and an extra fan or two for the GPUs?

Edited by Agilulf - 04 Sep 2009 at 1:09am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 3:50am
well the HAF case has great cooling with 2 or 3 230mm fans and 1 140mm fan you are getting some great airflow, however you do have a good point, 2 x 295 will produce some great heat, now we need to keep in mind that DS installs them with space between so atleast they are not sandwich together.

but I don't think anybody has gotten the extreme 4 yet, I too would love to see what the temps are under load, say playing crysis for 45 minutes or an hour.

now you got the 950si in your config and its airflow is no where near the HAF. also DS had been saying that if one wants to go with 920 and stage 2 OC with an HAF, they need to order the fan upgrade cause apparently the north bridge was getting very warm.

you also have the 1792MB version of the 275 GTX, its pointless, go with the 896MB version you will never notice the difference.

now having said all that what is your resolution anyways?
Agilulf View Drop Down

Quote Agilulf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 3:14pm
I'll be using a monitor at 1900 x 1200.

And though your point is valid concerning GTX memory (1792 mb vs. 896 mb), I heard that the extra memory comes into play when you use the cards in SLI.

Thanks for the great reply.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 3:16am
no extra memory never comes into play to the point where it makes a difference, the gpus work independently so the vram is never getting combined, sli or not the cards will be using whatever ram they have.

this better and you will never notice any difference:

Here you go Ticket# 329153 --- Price: $3342 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $3092

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Card Reader: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU & Two Video Cards
Liquid Color:UV Blue: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) With Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

and ociing the gpus is pointelss also since you will never notice the difference in peformance however you will notice the extra heat.

poppwoof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poppwoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 12:44am
I would not go with that motherboard, go with the EVGA X56 3X, that way you can upgrade to 3 cards if you decide to go that way.Angry
Poppawoof
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 2:52am
the LE can do tri sli and 2 other cards, something x58 3x can't do, so the le is better in that sense, the 8x pci slot will not make much of a difference, maybe 3 fps or something like that at most, which is sli will not be noticed.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Sep 2009 at 2:52am
poppwoof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poppwoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 3:43am
Really, I thought I saw quite a few posts where people were complaining about the quality of the mobo in extreme one offerings?Cry  Can you run two GTX 295's or 3 275's  on the LE board? I researched all the other mobo offerings the DS offers, but did not research that mobo because of forum reaction to it as an extreme build offering. I'm suprised no one is using the ASUS mobo's more often. They are highly recommended by a lot of the overclockers. That is the mobo I am looking for.
Poppawoof
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 3:05pm
ASUS has been a little.. flaky lately regarding customer service.

Yes, you can run dual 295's (though why bother) and tri-275's on the LE. It functions almost exactly as DST said.
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 7:20am
poppwoof the posts you are reading are on the prebuilds that were from last month that had the x58M mobo, they changed that to the LE now, and LE has enough PCI slots for tri sli, physx card and a sound card, or substitute te sound and physx card for what ever else card you like.
 Post Reply Post Reply