FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling with new mobo, cpu

Post Date: 2022-07-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Digi27 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Digi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cooling with new mobo, cpu
    Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 3:35pm
Upgrading Digital Storm pc mobo to Z690, CPU i7-12700K and RAM DDR5 32GB 5200, but i don't know if i need a different cooler than DS's cooler with copper pipes. Would the already existing cooler be compatible with the new hardware? It's my first time upgrading a prebuilt

-Current Specs-

MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
i7 10700K
6GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:41am
The newer procs from Intel have run progressively hotter over the last two generations. You'll want all the cooling you can afford. I recommend a dual fan radiator AIO for your CPU.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:09pm
+1

You can still get some more use out of your system by just adding some RAM and maybe a stronger gpu. What monitor(s) are you using?
Digi27 View Drop Down

Quote Digi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 5:12pm
@Cretae Would the AIO be replacing the pipes or those aren't for cpu? Because i don't know if i have to do anything with them or need to attach them to a new AIO

@hoserator I need more power since I am looking at getting into game development and those programs would run better with these upgrades
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 4:26am
By pipes, I assume you mean an all-air cooler with a heat sink attached to the CPU with the pipes you mention moving the heat away from the CPU/heatsink up to where the fan(s) can dissipate it. An all-in-one will replace all that with a disc-shaped apparatus that covers the CPU completely. It has an intake tube and outflow tube attached which carries a fluid that will move heat away to a radiator that will vent the heat out of your system by means of fans built into it. The now cooled fluid returns to your CPU to carry more heat away. It's a continuous process, and more efficient than an air cooler.

You will need to completely remove the old air cooler, and replace it with the disk that fits over the CPU. You'll use some thermal paste that will come with your AIO to make a good heat seal with your CPU. Then you will need to mount the radiator to the front or top of your case where you have case fans mounted that can move the air out of your system. The intake/outflow tubes will be plenty long enough for that placement.

If this seems like a bit much, I'm sure you could get it installed for you if you purchased it at a retail outlet like Best Buy.   
Digi27 View Drop Down

Quote Digi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:52pm
Yeah, that's the tubing I have, unfortunately, I'm disabled and cannot see the layout or what case it is as the pc is out of my view.
 Post Reply Post Reply