FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Core i7 930 2.88GHz to soon replace Core i7 920 2.

Post Date: 2009-10-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Core i7 930 2.88GHz to soon replace Core i7 920 2.
    Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 3:48am
Core i7 930 2.88GHz to soon replace Core i7 920 2.66GHz

The LGA 1366 legacy continues in Q1 2010

For the past eleven and a half months, almost every ardent enthusiast running an X58-based Nehalem motherboard had undoubtedly heard of the wonderful advantages of running an Intel Core i7 920 for overclocking related purposes. While the legacy of this chip has only recently begun to rise in the hearts of the global consumer population, it is with great hope that we remain confident its performance will continue to endure into the 45nm generation of 2010.

Intel has recently confirmed plans to discontinue the Core i7 920 2.66GHz in order to make way for a even greater successor in the lineage, the Core i7 930 2.88GHz. It should be made clear that this is not recent news, considering the ubiquitous headlines back in June suggesting such an event to occur to the entire current Core i7 lineup. We have already witnessed the replacement of the Core i7 Extreme 965 3.20GHz with the 975 3.33GHz, the replacement of the Core i7 940 2.93GHz with the 950 3.06GHz, a few stepping revision updates along the way (C0/C1 to D0), and now this.

Just like its predecessor, the Core i7 930 2.88GHz will be a quad-core, eight-thread chip designed for socket LGA 1366. This last little detail is an interesting point considering the widespread notion of the LGA 1366 platform going “Extreme Edition only” throughout the entirety of 2010.

In terms of competitive pricing, it is likely that we may witness price reductions on both Core i7 860 and Core i7 870 socket LGA 1156 processors as Intel introduces its Core i7 860S and Core i7 870S low-power models with 65w TDP in Q1 2010. These LGA 1156 chips were originally assumed by analysts to be the only remaining mainstream “Core i7” branded models on the market to survive the transition into 2010. However, this is obviously not the case and we can positively exclaim that the legacy of everyone’s enthusiast favorite LGA 1366 budget-minded CPU with incredible overclocking power will continue under a new name with greater performance as it makes its way into the beginning of a fresh new decade.

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 9:07am
FUD is the worst place in the world for news, always late, and almost always wrong. Smile
I love how in every bit of their "news" they are corrcting their past bull$hit..SmileSmileSmile
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 12:40am
Some how I think that is bullsh*t (the article).  If you take 2880 / 133 = 21.65.  Unless Intel just started doing half ratios/multis again, I don't believe it at all.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 7:54pm
I thought intel i9's were being released Q1 of 2010
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 11:18pm
Should be around that time, maybe H1 2010.
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 1:59pm
My question for Digital Storm is, If/When a new 920 successor comes out would I be able to purchase one and have you Pre-OC it and have it sent to me with the OC, or would I need to bring in my machine to have it done there?

Edit: Fudzilla has it wrong though... 2010 is the ending of the 2001-2010 decade, so we have to wait another year for a new one... dumb writers not knowing how our messed up calender system works...

Edited by Kaleliar - 02 Dec 2009 at 2:03pm
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 2:23pm
Fudzilla is pretty much always wrong.. they are the Inquirer of the PC community.
If you want a different chip, i9, then you will have to re-do the overclock.. the overclocking is done in the BIOS, not on the chip, if that makes sense.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 3:03pm
In other words, if You're talking about re-purchasing a LGA1366 Socket CPU
and have that shipped to you, and have You personally install it then answer is
NO

For as justin stated, it's done through your motherboard Bios (that menu option that shows up when you first turn on your pc)
if you're talking about re-purchasing And send in your entire Desktop for Them to install it on and ship it back to you.
Then Yes
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:01pm
no matter how you purchase it, you can't pre oc, the oc will be done after the cpu is installed, be it by you or DS.
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:16pm
I should have clarified.  I wanted to know if DSO could take the chip you buy through them and OC it, then when they see what settings its stable at, send the OC information to you with the chip so that you can OC it on your rig. Or would they need your machine due to hardware/software issues.

The reason I asked is because I already know that the OC is very chip related... justin has one that OC's really high (4GHz+ as I recall) with a fairly low voltage yet mine couldnt be pushed much past 3.33.

Edited by Kaleliar - 02 Dec 2009 at 4:22pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:21pm
chip must be in your system. everyone will be different.
If they overclock it on one of their systems, send the chip to you, and you enter their settings, there is zero guarantee it will work.

Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:23pm
ah so much for mass production yielding the same results....
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:23pm
Just like justin said, each chip is different and it will oc differently in each system also.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 4:51pm
We would need the machine.

Originally posted by Kaleliar

I should have clarified.  I wanted to know if DSO could take the chip you buy through them and OC it, then when they see what settings its stable at, send the OC information to you with the chip so that you can OC it on your rig. Or would they need your machine due to hardware/software issues.

The reason I asked is because I already know that the OC is very chip related... justin has one that OC's really high (4GHz+ as I recall) with a fairly low voltage yet mine couldnt be pushed much past 3.33.
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

no matter how you purchase it, you can't pre oc, the oc will be done after the cpu is installed, be it by you or DS.

that's why i said if you purchase a new chip but ship your entire desktop to them to have them install it and ship it back to you,
the answer is yes.

thought my answer was simple enough Wink
I failed
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 7:20pm
question was:

Originally posted by Kaleliar

My question for Digital Storm is, If/When a new 920 successor comes out would I be able to purchase one and have you Pre-OC it and have it sent to me with the OC, or would I need to bring in my machine to have it done there?

and I said:

Originally posted by DST4ME

just clarifying that no matter what, there is no "pre ocing" the cpu
 Post Reply Post Reply