FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Core Parking

Post Date: 2013-11-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Oxon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Core Parking
    Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 8:18am
I want to disable CPU core parking in Windows 7.

To that end I was able to follow the instructions at the below link to add the following entries to Processor Power Management under Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan setting -> Change advanced power settings.

Processor performance core parking min cores
Processor performance core parking max cores

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/494232-how-adjust-core-parking-inside-windows-7-a.html

The problem I now have is that I cannot change the "Processor performance core parking min cores" setting.  Whatever value I enter in that field is reverted to 0 as soon as I click Apply.  It seems that I can change the value for "Processor performance core parking max cores."

I saw some reference to this problem later in the same linked thread.  The suggested solution was to go into the Windows registry and make sure that the Max and Min values for each power profile are correct and at their default.

I'm not sure what the correct, default values are, and not sure how to find and change them if they are not correct...

Any information on this?  I've tried a number of other "fixes" to disable core parking, but when I check the Windows Resource Monitor, it always clearly shows that some of my cores are parked.  So I think it must be that my machine always over-rides these changes I make to the registry.

I have read that if C6 is disabled in the BIOS, Windows cannot park cores.  I haven't tried that yet, and I'm not sure if that is correct and a good way to go about disabling core parking.

Thanks for any help!
Oxon View Drop Down

Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 7:09am
In the meantime, I disabled the processor C states in the BIOS.  However, when I check the Windows Resource Monitor, it still shows some cores as parked...

I'm not sure how that is possible since I understand core parking is a C state.  I did notice that it is alternating cores that are parked, so it looks like the hyper-threaded cores are parked, not the physical cores.  And maybe that is normal, even with C states disabled?  I could see it more as "thread parking" in this case, which probably doesn't degrade performance the way actual "core parking" does.

I mainly want to get the maximum performance from this desktop system:  ASUS Rampage IV extreme and 3930k.  The small amount of power saving I get from the core parking feature is not worthwhile.
Oxon View Drop Down

Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 9:46pm
Anybody have any further info / thoughts on this core parking issue?

I'm still don't understand why entering any value in "Processor performance core parking min cores" is changed to 0 as soon as I click "Apply"...

Thanks!
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 4:43am
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp-Core-Parking-a-better-way-to-Turn-It-OFF-m1861804.aspx

Also to note, as a disclaimer, I in no way encourage you to do registry edits.  You can truly mess up your system digging around where you don't belong.

Edited by Meller - 30 Nov 2013 at 4:44am
ScottishBattleAx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ScottishBattleAx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 5:11am
Way too technical for me, but I disabled core parking using the little program talked about and linked from this video. Took seconds and worked easily
http://youtu.be/QkfIFP0g2xY

Edited by ScottishBattleAx - 30 Nov 2013 at 5:12am
HAF X // i7-4770K @ 4.2GHZ // Win 8.1 Pro // ASUS Z87-Expert // EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked ACX // 16GB 1866 RAM // 256GB SSD // 2TB + 4TB HDD // Recon3D 5.1 Sound
 Post Reply Post Reply