FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corsair 500R: Review of my new 'entry level rig'

Post Date: 2012-07-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Corsair 500R: Review of my new 'entry level rig'
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:33pm
First some background, I have been using a laptop with a 17" screen and max resolution of 1366x768 . It was having some overheating issues with playing STO, frame rate issues when playing current driving games, and could just about handle half-life 2, COD, and arkham city with low/medium settings.

I went from that to a 23" monitor running at 1920x1080 and this DS rig:
Corsair Carbide 500R with Standard Chassis Fans
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Intel i5 3570k with Stage 1 over-clock
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
16GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Ram
GeForce GTX 670 2GB
1TB WD Caviar Black Edition
800W Corsair GS
Standard DVD-R/RW
Wireless PCI-E

The anticipation was pretty high, checking my email for updates constantly but it arrived right in the middle of the expected window just in time for the weekend.

First impression when picking it up, holy **** that is a big box how is it going to fit in the car…. I don't have a small car but the seats in the back still had to go down. Even got help lifting it as the last thing I wanted to do was drop it on accident! The pictures I saw online don't really do it justice, that is one beefy container and that was the standard box not even a crate! Glad that even the basic shipping gets quality packaging.

Unpacked and took the side panel off pulled out the magic expanding foam doubled checked all the connections but the side back on, turned it upright and heard something rattle down. Pulled the side back off and found a small piece of plastic that looks like a hard drive mounting clip or something, can't find where it would have connected to anything though… so pulled it out and the side went back on.

Starting installing all my games and copying over files and drivers for my mouse etc. New monitor came with a cd that had some drivers and power saver app so tried to install those, resulted in a RSoD (never seen that before and had to google it). Glad I had a restore point only ~hour before. Did some googling and it looks like the dell cd was just bloatware I don't need anyway, in the trash it goes.

After those two minor hiccups, I finally got to use the fancy new machine for its true purpose :D

So far I have used the following programs: Chrome, Opera, Excel, Half-Life 2, Arkham City, Need for Speed, rFactor, Star Trek Online, Goldeneye (Half-life 2 mod) Didn't even have enough space to have this many installed at the same time before (old HD was a 5400rpm 250GB…)

General: Reasonably quiet, lounder than my laptop (until it started to over heat and I had to set it on top of a usb fan pad) not disturbing loud especially if the a/c or tv is on you can't hear it at all. The LEDs on the fans look slick didn't expect them on the side fan too! and the psu white matches the case fan white (guess that makes sense as they are both corsair) Been using the front audio port for headphones, like that it autodisables the speakers (which are plugged in the back) Internal wiring looks nice and slick to help with the airflow

Web browsing: I am one of those nutters that opens 20+ tabs, my old computer occasionally struggled and would pull the "wait for program to respond" when I got carried away. 0 instances so far :D The larger resolution has also helped me run programs side by side which is really useful.

FPS: Half-Life 2 and mods maxed out didn't even make it flinch, makes sense as it isn't that new. Haven't tried COD yet but I ramped the Arkahm City setting up to max, it gave a warning that you should have at least a gtx 560 :P The experience is on a completely different scale from what I was used it, feels like I am experiencing the games like they were meant to be. The lowest registered fps in arkahm city benchmarking was 48 with an average of 59 (looks like it is capped at 60) it was the very begin of a test that triggered the 48, which is higher than the max I was getting with low settings on my old computer haha.

MMO: Star Trek Online for some unknown reason tended to really punish my old rig, it would get increadably hot and even shut it self off if I played for over an hour, so I was going to treat this as the real test. I ran it for a couple hours at 1920x1080 and very high detail setting, not only were the load times for the areas reduced but the air coming out the back fan didn't change much in temp from idle!!! Really glad I went with the 500R case and it's big side fan to help out as it looks like I don't have any airflow/temp issues anymore which is a relief. Guess that stress/stability testing stuff really works!

Driving: The newer need for speeds I couldn't even play (fps was <15) and rFactor was running at 800x600 not the best. Both are now running in 1080p with high settings and excellent frame rates :D High FPS is really important for being able to drive accurately in the realistic sims and the nfs series tends to have abnormally low fps so I haven't tried maxing out yet but just the resultion ramp makes a great improvement

Accessories: Targus basic keyboard, Logitech G500 mouse, Logitech G25 steering wheel/pedals
All plugged in and the Logitech management software that lets me adjust things like sensitivity on the fly is all playing well with no issues

Would also like to include a thank you to bprat22, Orange7, and tju76 who helped me out in the configuration stage.

I have built my own computer before but with the great price, over-clocking (never really felt comfortable doing this myself), reputation for good service, and well populated forums it felt like a no brainer to go with DS. Easy choice to recommeded to my friends.

If you are looking at a similar build/need/budget to me and have a specific question about a choice I made on why or anything let me know.

Template from my config thread:
Budget: ~1.7-1.8k
Expectations: Play current generation at high settings
Usage: Lots of gaming (mostly fps, mmo, and some rts), movie playing via second connection to a 42" 1080 HDTV, usual internet music etc
Special Needs: Nothing crazy loud but doesn't need to be silent

Edited by UKCoopeR - 01 Aug 2012 at 8:39pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Nice Review, Nice Pictures! Big%20Smile

Congrats! Awesome

Also nice Duck.

Edited by Tidgxor - 31 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 4:39am
Congrats!

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with your new rig, and I love the comparisons with the old rig.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 5:55am
Haha yeah, probably not fair to compare a $800 3 year old laptop to a $1700 brand new DS desktop... but that is my reference!

Had a good MMO session this morning and the temp got a bit higher than idle but still nowhere near worrying, I couldn't even comfortably touch the laptop body it got so hot but the tower body is staying room temp even right at the exit fans :D
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 6:07am
Very good review you will enjoy that beast for years to come.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 7:36am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 9:17am
Sat down, read the whole post.  A question or two.

First - look at all that performance (and peace of mind) for low cost.  Great value in my opinion.

Second.  In regard to your G25.  I want one of those - how do you use it?  What I mean is - do you set the wheel on your lap?  Doesn't it slide off?

I have one of those NASCAR wheels - useless.

Finally, if you wanna -really- test that unit in STO - go to the "Mirror Event" and fly toward one of the giant blooms behind the space station past the enemy fleets.

Turn your settings up and enable bloom.  I use a GTX295 atm and it -cripples- my framerate, otherwise, I run the game flawlessly.

Did I mention your PC looks sweet?  Only one suggestion - get it up (like 6 inches) off that carpet.

If you ever need anything in STO - let me know.  Love that game.

Regards.

Xii.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 10:39am
Nice review and great pics.  Awesome

That 500R case looks great.   EnjoyBig%20Smile
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Also nice Duck.

Nice… I see what you did there

For the G25, I have a setup similar to this (I am not at home (ninja defense is up though) or would just take a pic) http://tweakers.net/ext/i.dsp/1147951647.jpg

In my opinion the sit on the lap wheels are useless as anything with respectable force feedback would end up shifting and throwing off your steering angle. I would highly recommend mounting it to your desk, it makes a world of difference (I used to have a "lap mount" one back in the ps1 days and it was a hunk of junk compared to my now solidly mounted g25). It basically has plastic c-clamp arms under the steering wheels and shift knob, I don't recall the exact range but fits all the desks I have had (had my g25 for ~4-5 years) My other hobby is car racing and the impact a nicely mounted force feedback wheel running something like rFactor has on making a sim useful for learning and refreshing your memory on tracks is dramatic. Some people thought I was nuts for getting a nice wheel on a pretty barebones rig when I got it, but everyone that tried it out wanted one. If you like car racing games without one you will love them with one!

I also love STO, I always feel slightly embarrassed mentioning it as it got such horrible reviews but as now free to play mmo for a star trek fan (pauses to take a sip from his drink resting on next generation coaster) that doesn't fall into the deep end of something like eve, I think it is awesome fun. I have fond memories of playing ST:TNG for 95/DOS and this satisfies my craving for space battles and it's in HD

I will check out the mirror mission and see what happens. My laptop lasted for getting my fed character to lvl 50 and could just about let me fly an odyssey but when I started my klingon character every time Qo'noS First City loaded it would try to light itself on fire and I had to limit to less than 60 mins and a few hours of cool down, less than ideal to say the least. Setting wise I haven't played with the advance stuff yet just upped the resolution to my monitor's max and put the slider all the way to the quality slide.

Interesting point on picking up the case, I assume for an airflow benefit? I will see what I can figure out, I do have a wheeled dolly but that would cover the side fan. Do you folks get much airflow through the bottom? I was surprised that the dust filter was down there instead of the front panel…. I am sure the is a good reason, but not really my area of expertise.

bprat22, thanks for pushing me to the 500R instead of the 300R, very pleased I went with your advice there!

Edited by UKCoopeR - 01 Aug 2012 at 12:34pm
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 12:41pm
The steering wheel comes with the clamps?  Im in!

Im on Fed in STO so I could always team queue with you - the next.. Mirror event will be at....5pm to 6pm today queue-able via the combadge icon.

Raising it isn't just for airflow - youll have all kinda dust/carpet fibers in your case over time if you don't.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 2:05pm
Love the review and pics. Cool  If you have room get something like a small cofee table to sit your rig on, or If you know anyone that does wood working you could have a small platform on legs build to fit the space you have.  Just some ideas and congrats on your new rig.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:42pm
Yup, the clamps are built in, it is a great quality acessory

My work hours are a bit tough to predict, which makes weekday events that aren't really late or really early a bit tough. Weekends are easier but this weekend i have a car race in rl but i'll let you know when i have a chance to hop back in

didn't think of that, makes sense that it keeps the dust from getting sucked in by being further away, so i don't have to worry about lifting it with something full open on the bottom, that makes it easier! thanks for tips!
z3839 View Drop Down

Quote z3839 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 12:31pm
Damn, that pc looks awesome.  Can't wait for mine to arrive next week or so.  It's gonna be such a huge step up from my 5 year old dell inspiron laptop.....:/
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:37pm
Thanks, your shift in experience should be even more wild than mine! My laptop was only 3 years old.

Still trying to figure out what the selector on the far right on the picture below controls. I though it would something fan related but I can't tell a noise difference between the three positions.... any ideas? I have it in the top most position as that is how it was when it arrived.

Figured out the reset and led buttons much more easily, though not entirely intentionally

z3839 View Drop Down

Quote z3839 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 5:51am
Originally posted by UKCoopeR

Thanks, your shift in experience should be even more wild than mine! My laptop was only 3 years old.

Still trying to figure out what the selector on the far right on the picture below controls. I though it would something fan related but I can't tell a noise difference between the three positions.... any ideas? I have it in the top most position as that is how it was when it arrived.

Figured out the reset and led buttons much more easily, though not entirely intentionally

It's probably the self-destruct button or the "DONT TOUCH DAT" button.  Honestly i have no idea.SorryNinjaNinjaNinjaNinja
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:17am
Here is a video review of the 500r case.  If is a fan speed switch according to the review.

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by Asangard - 03 Aug 2012 at 6:29am
Not from Without,

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Asangard

is a fan speed switch according to the review

Interesting, thanks for the link! That is what I thought, maybe I am just too deaf to hear the difference might as well leave it on max then...
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:30am
If you can't tell the difference the wire may have come loose.  Try tracing where the wire goes and see if it is plugged in or hanging loose.
Not from Without,

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:39am
Makes sense, I know the wire for the side panel fan was disconnected when it was shipped to allow for the expanding foam, will take a look after work.

Edited by UKCoopeR - 03 Aug 2012 at 6:41am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 6:59am
The switch might not do much.  The top  front fan control on the ODE's 600T case also does little with the fan speed.   Some of these are more gimmick than substance.

Have fun.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Aug 2012 at 7:02am
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 4:13am
Looks like everything is connected that I could tell, there might be a slight difference but not enough such that I won't be fine just leaving it at the max setting.

Would like to add I have noticed how awesomely fast the hdd is at copying files, blows the doors off the old one! Definitely worth the tiny price increase for the black edition.

Edited by UKCoopeR - 06 Aug 2012 at 5:02pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:51pm
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:29pm
Glad everything was connected.  You should have great gaming ahead.Big%20Smile
Not from Without,

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 10:41am
Started playing Spec Ops: The Line. Everything maxed out at 1920x1080 zero frame rate issues

I don't think it is a game famous for high system demand but the sand storm effects are pretty cool.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 10:46am
 Awesome Awesome

Doesn't matter which game it is, as long as you are enjoying it and your DS rig is eating it for breakfast nothing else matters Strong
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:42am

Big%20Smile Nice Machine !  Big%20Smile

Nothing Entry Level About Your Box  !!
                  Strong

Congrats and Enjoy !

FR3SHM3AT
     Strong
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 12:54pm
Haha I meant entry level as compared to some of the epic machines I have seen here, definitely not a basic bare minimum machine like my old one!
retirednavysnipe View Drop Down

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 8:07am
Great Review and really fine looking machine. Congrats on your rig and hope you have years of enjoyment with it.
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
120 GB SSD, 1 TB hardrive
Fully liquid cooled CPU, GPU and chipset.
UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 1:26pm
Just a short update. Started playing SC2:WoL and COD:Black Ops II both completely maxed out and my rig has been handling it like a champ

Great frame-rates, no stutters at all. Not sure how relatively demanding the games are but the water/rain effects in Black Ops II blew my mind!!!! This is the first time I have had the computer to really enjoy the little details like that and I love it!!!!!!! The air coming out the back doesn't even get that warm, unlike my work computer which tries to light itself on fire if I open more than 5 tabs in chrome

I have been used to having a computer struggle with the latest and greatest games and continuing to just hit max everything on a build that didn't break the bank is a great feeling.

Thanks again to the forum guys that helped me pick and DS for the rock star computer

Edited by UKCoopeR - 19 Dec 2012 at 1:29pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 1:37pm
You put together a real nice rig and its good to see its paying off.   ENJOY and thanks for the update.    
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 2:13pm
 Awesome
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 2:17pm
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 2:58pm
Cool
Not from Without,

UKCoopeR View Drop Down

Quote UKCoopeR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 6:55pm
Almost 2 years later and the computer continues to crush it. I have been playing the new Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, COD:Ghosts, and Saint's Row IV. No issues at all

I did move to a new place recently and was thinking about a UPS as it is a bit older power line wise and I want to keep my computer safe. I had the power flicker during a heavy storm earlier this week which resulted in the computer cutting off

I have no idea how to pick a "good one" though... because I have an 800W power supply and would need to plug the monitor in too do I need something that can put out that many watts? I have also see comments about lack of compatibility with sine versus stepped sine and I am not really sure what I need. All I want to be able to do is have the computer do a standard shutdown instead of a power loss. Maybe I am just being paranoid... I do have everything on legit surge protectors, is that good enough?

I welcome any thoughts/suggestions!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by UKCoopeR

Almost 2 years later and the computer continues to crush it. I have been playing the new Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, COD:Ghosts, and Saint's Row IV. No issues at all

I did move to a new place recently and was thinking about a UPS as it is a bit older power line wise and I want to keep my computer safe. I had the power flicker during a heavy storm earlier this week which resulted in the computer cutting off

I have no idea how to pick a "good one" though... because I have an 800W power supply and would need to plug the monitor in too do I need something that can put out that many watts? I have also see comments about lack of compatibility with sine versus stepped sine and I am not really sure what I need. All I want to be able to do is have the computer do a standard shutdown instead of a power loss. Maybe I am just being paranoid... I do have everything on legit surge protectors, is that good enough?

I welcome any thoughts/suggestions!

heres one i ran across on Amazon, i plan on getting it later http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JE9LD4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=311P3V3AZBLF3&coliid=I2VNXQ5OUWK3O8&psc=1
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>