FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corsair A70 air cooler vs Water cooler

Post Date: 2011-07-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
desoto View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Corsair A70 air cooler vs Water cooler
    Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 9:01am
The recommended builds I have seen seem to favor the A70 air cooler over the water coolers H60, H70. Is there a reason other than lower cost for the A70?
lukexcom View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote lukexcom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 9:12am
All in all, the high-end air-coolers like the Noctua DH-14 and the A70 actually cool better than the low-end, all-in-one OEM water-cooling kits like the Aseteks or the H50/60/70/80/100.

To get  better cooling than the high-end air coolers, one needs to actually go to a true non-OEM water cooling setup, with separate pumps, reservoirs, larger radiators, etc. In Digital Storm, this is represented by the "Sub-Zero" cooling stages 4,5, and 6.

There is also a stage 3 "FrostChill" solution, but I'm not sure how much more effective vs. an A70 or DH-14 it would be, considering it's still just a 1x120 radiator and non-high-end liquid-cooling parts. If anyone else wants to comment on the stage 3...
lucaslep View Drop Down

Quote lucaslep Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 10:29am
pick stage 4 UP subzero!!! H70 is a sh*t , the stock intel cooler is better
Anglis View Drop Down

Quote Anglis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by lucaslep

pick stage 4 UP subzero!!! H70 is a sh*t , the stock intel cooler is better

The stock intel cooler is not better haha.

Most people are just under the impression that if you're going to go water cooling, why not go for the real thing.  The H70 actually performs just a few degrees under the Noctua in most benches.  The Noctua and A70 is cheaper, which is why they are definitely recommended.  The H70 is admirable, it's just louder, but that is easily fixable buy buying different 120mm fans to put on it.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Anglis

The H70 is admirable, it's just louder, but that is easily fixable buy buying different 120mm fans to put on it.

...Which would just inflate its already stupid high "rip off people who think it's real LCing" price even more.

Costs more, performs less, annoyingly louder, less reliable, introduces the potential for catastrophic liquid leak: Waste of money.

Stick with a Noctua or A70.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by desoto

The recommended builds I have seen seem to favor the A70 air cooler over the water coolers H60, H70. Is there a reason other than lower cost for the A70?

the A70 and noctua are great air coolers and beat the H60/H70 and other stage 1 and 2 LC systems.

that is why they are recommended and not the price.

if you want to beat the a70 or noctua's performance, then you need to go stage 4 lc or higher, however LC is not needed at all, the SB cpus oc very well and stay cooler and the a70 and noctua have enough cooling power to give us good load temps, at around 4.7Ghz oc.
desoto View Drop Down

Quote desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

Costs more, performs less, annoyingly louder, less reliable, introduces the potential for catastrophic liquid leak: Waste of money.

Stick with a Noctua or A70.

That about says it all Drag. I'm convinced.
desoto View Drop Down

Quote desoto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

LC is not needed at all, the SB cpus oc very well and stay cooler and the a70 and noctua have enough cooling power to give us good load temps, at around 4.7Ghz oc.

That is about as high as I would want to oc.  I found a youtube of Linus Tech unboxing one and seeing those 4 copper tubes with dual radiator fans makes it look like it would cool well.  Linus did not set one up on his bench and power it so I don't know how loud it is.

But, I have noticed that you and other experienced guys include it in a lot of your suggested builds. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2011 at 5:00pm
Why pay more for less performance and reliability, so obviously we gonna recommend the ones that have the best performance and reliability.
 Post Reply Post Reply