FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corsair A70 Fan speed

Post Date: 2010-10-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jlmitnick View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jlmitnick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Corsair A70 Fan speed
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:26am
Hey everyone!  Just received my DSO comp yesterday and it's awesome!  I may be coming with other questions to the forum in the coming days but one question I did have was about fan speed.

I got the Corsair A70 and it's excellent at keeping my temps low.  In reviews and such though it is mentioned that it can operate at a user selectable 2000rpm or 1600rpm.  I was wondering how to know how fast my fans are spinning, and how to select the other speed for volume or cooling purposes.

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 11:32am
there will be a small set of 3pin female to 3pin male connectors in your "extras" box (they are just resistors) which you can install between then fan and the power supply to lower the speed, which will decrease the noise
are they noticibly loud?
jlmitnick View Drop Down

Quote jlmitnick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by !ender_

there will be a small set of 3pin female to 3pin male connectors in your "extras" box (they are just resistors) which you can install between then fan and the power supply to lower the speed, which will decrease the noise
are they noticibly loud?

The system overall isn't ultra loud, no.  It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly how loud the Corsair A70 fans are relative to the other fans in the system and such.  Bear in mind I have a HAF 922, not 932, so the main fans are slightly smaller (and thus perhaps louder).

Unfortunately I've never owned a Noctua so it's hard for me say how comparable they are in terms of sound.  The temps with the A70 are great though.  Based on very preliminary checking of RealTemps my i7 950, OC to 3.8ghz, the cores range from is like around 37-41 at idle - will have to do some load testing.

When I get home from work I'll try to do a better assessment of the noise levels.
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:19pm
Smaller fans will run louder b/c they need to spin fast to keep components cool. A larger fan can do the same with less noise.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by jlmitnick

The system overall isn't ultra loud, no.  It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly how loud the Corsair A70 fans are relative to the other fans in the system and such. 

if you are up to it and have some tech knowledge you can get in there while the system is on and disconnect fans to see what is causing the noise, however do not do this if you are not very sure of what you are doing as it could obviously be not only dangerous to you but to your hardware
jlmitnick View Drop Down

Quote jlmitnick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 12:31pm

if you are up to it and have some tech knowledge you can get in there while the system is on and disconnect fans to see what is causing the noise, however do not do this if you are not very sure of what you are doing as it could obviously be not only dangerous to you but to your hardware

Yeah the Corsair A70 fans are definitely the "loud" components in my rig.  The huge case fans of the 922 are not noticeable, my PSU is silent, and my GTX460 isn't making hardly any noise at all.

I haven't tried the slower 1600 rpm speed yet, but will probably do so this weekend.  But again, it's really not even that bad.  And the cooling is great.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 12:42pm
all 2000 RPM fans are loud.
1600 RPM should have very little effect on cooling, and quiet it down some.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:02pm
i would be very interested to see your temperature results from an hour of prime95 at 1600 and at 2000 mhz  Big%20Smile
jlmitnick View Drop Down

Quote jlmitnick Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:59pm

i would be very interested to see your temperature results from an hour of prime95 at 1600 and at 2000 mhz  Big%20Smile

So I just put in the resistors to make the fans run at 1600 rpm and now it's VERY quiet and wonderful.

That being said, only a few minutes of Prime95 put the cores at like low 80s..., and it seemed like it was going to crawl up to 90 if I didn't stop it.

I'll get around to testing the 2000rpm speed tomorrow probably.

The question is though, in what real world scenario do my cores get to 100% load?  I really like the quieter fan speed, but I don't want to overheat anything.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 12:05am
Originally posted by jlmitnick

The question is though, in what real world scenario do my cores get to 100% load? 
the short answer to this is...
if they do, do you want your chip to fry?

prime95 is a punishing test, but the idea is to make sure that you are stable with safe temps for the long haul
 Post Reply Post Reply