FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Corsair GS800 Internal Fan?

Post Date: 2012-09-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Synthetix View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Synthetix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Corsair GS800 Internal Fan?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 2:02am
Is this fan supposed to always be on? Or does it only turn on under heavy load? Cause I looked on the website and it adjusts the fan to "Varying Speeds" based on heat.

I'm looking at my PSU fan right now (I'm just AFK in World of Warcraft right now, not doing anything heavy), and it's not moving at all. Is that normal? Or should the PSU fan always be spinning?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:13am
Hi Synthetix...    I can't say 100% but I believe that psu, like alot of them, the fan stays off until 20% load or so is applied.      Put stress on the rig with a shooter or Windows Experience Index,etc to make sure.   

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Sep 2012 at 5:14am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 11:28am
For the GS800 which is the gaming series, you should see a color glow as well coming from the fan. I usually do see the fan always spinning, but, I could be wrong, try putting a load on the system like playing a video card for a few minutes and see if it spins? If it does not, something might be stuck in the blades or the fan may have gone bad and we can help you with a new replacement power supply, etc...
Synthetix View Drop Down

Quote Synthetix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 3:11pm
I'm running FurMark right now, 50% of the way through the PSU fan started spinning for a bit. And for some reason it started making odd noises (The fan) and the fan would slow down, stop, and start back up again for a few more minutes.

Right now my GPU is at 77 C, more than halfway through the test. The fan is still making the noises, and when I look at the fan, it goes from spinning normally (Since the GPU is under intense load), then makes the sound, then stops for a few seconds, and spins as normally again.

EDIT: I don't know if Youtube links are allowed here, but this video pretty much is a 100% replication of what I see happen when I watch the fan under load:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE07eqFgRXA

Edited by Synthetix - 22 Sep 2012 at 3:33pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 3:40pm
Sounds like the fan bearing has gone bad. Contact our team on Monday, we'll help take care of you.
Synthetix View Drop Down

Quote Synthetix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 4:58pm
I'll definitely contact you guys Monday.

However, I've seen multiple cases on the Corsair forums about people having this exact same issue, not only with the 800 models, but also the 700s, or any in the line of the GS series.

People have also done RMAs for replacement models, only to experience the same exact situation when putting the machine under load.

Part of me feels that this is some sort of design flaw, because I've seen people talk about how the fan is meant to start up when the computer starts pushing a certain threshold, and could be a result of the Fan Controller turning on and off constantly.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:42pm
The GS series (800W) is one of our most highly used power supplies, if this was a big issue, we would never have continued to use it. There may have been a bad batch or something, this is the first time I've seen this issue with a customers system.

We can always test the replacement unit to you beforehand to ensure there is no issue, just let our team know
Synthetix View Drop Down

Quote Synthetix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 12:15am
Thanks for the input, Alex. I did some more scrounging around the internet as well, and it seems that this weird anomaly is also possibly linked to a Fan Controller issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing went bad too due to how much the thing was going on and off. I'll be contacting you guys first thing Monday. :)

I have one small concern though. Will I have to send my entire machine back to you guys? Or would I just receive the replacement Power Supply?

Edit: Found this video, which shows how the fan for some reason, is attempting to spin in reverse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VcYF2JeuKM

That might be causing the noise.

Edited by Synthetix - 23 Sep 2012 at 12:19am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:14am
They will send you the psu.    If you've never done it, it is easy enough.   Just take digital pics of the inside of both side panels to use to re-route the cables, and take notes of what you disconnect from mobo, video card, drives,et.   

Get some black plastic ty-wraps to tie the cables together.    

Good luck and DS or us can help if needed.   

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Sep 2012 at 4:15am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 12:27pm
I'm not sure why the issue is happening, but, yes, we can send you the replacement PSU as well to get you up and running quicker.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 8:21am
Hi Synthetix,

To add to what bprat22 said. Get some 1/2" masking tape and cut you several 2" long pieces. As you remove a power connector write down the location on a piece of tape and fold it over the wire end you just removed. After you have the PS removed set it next to you so you can read the tapes. Now just copy the connection on the new PS like you see on the old PS. Easy job if you can figure out the routing again.

Frank
surf71zx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote surf71zx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 7:54pm

To bad it wasnt modular,you could leave the routing of the wires alone and just unplug from the PSU.

Post Reply Post Reply