FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cosmos S edition

Post Date: 2008-07-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nickdapimp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nickdapimp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Cosmos S edition
    Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 11:52am
I just bought my system with it, and I see all other systems with DSO and nobody chooses this chassis.... why? Whats so bad about it?

Kliebor2 View Drop Down

Quote Kliebor2 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 12:29pm
I just really liked the 950 SI case. Also i am a huge fan of cases with no doors or blockades in front that hamper my drive access. I am a purist in the sense I like the classic tower style case I guess.

Also every review of the case, which is actually a Silverstone TJ09-BW has had nothing but fabulous things to say about it... so... I used it in my order. :)

Digital Storm 950Si - Q9450 Quad Core @ 3 Ghz
Dual PNY OC2 GTX 560Ti
8 Gigabytes DDR2/800
2 Western Digital 500 GB SATAII 7200 RPM HD
Bismark View Drop Down

Quote Bismark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 1:27pm
I debated the cosmos s vs the 850i and it came down simply that I wanted green lighting and the cosmos comes factory with red. Aside from that from my reading its an excellent case with the only knock being that its heavy but who really cares about weight. I'm sure you will enjoy the case very much, dont sweat it.
Asus Rampage Formula
Core 2 Quad Q9550
2 ATI Radeon HD4870 Crossfire
4GB Corsair DHX 1066
1000W Corsair HX
DS 850Si

SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 7:37pm

I have the cosmos S, you wont be dissapointed. Though keep the tape on the bottom bars, nobody will notice, its not worth having the paint come off with the tape.  There is no door blocking access to the drive by the way. There are two little clip doors on each side of the front, but they dont block or hinder access to the drive(s) all they do is hold the mesh grills on. The doors are sorta flimsy so watch out for that.

The black top all around the power button is a finger print magnet so watch out for that and have a rag handy if youre a neat freak. It is a very open air, so expect some dust cleaning every month or so. If you got stage 3 air cooling they will put LED lighted fans on the top, from my experiments these fans are basically useless, as having them running or not, blowing in or out, will have zero to negligable effects on the CPU or GPU temps.

Also watch when you pop the panels out that you are there to catch them, if you just let them fall out they might bend at the bottom, and the side with the fan will rip the cord for the fan out of its connector if you arnt there to stop it falling. Prepare yourself for a very big and very heavy case. Fairly easy to move around there. Dont put it on carpet if you have to put some books or something to lift it slightly off the ground. It will improve airflow  for the bottom fan + the fan for the power supply.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Bismark

...its an excellent case with the only knock being that its heavy but who really cares about weight.

If you're little like me, huge and heavy makes a difference!  LOL! LOL

It seems many magazines really like the design of the cosmos and it appears to be a well-engineered case. Personally, I love the density and feel of aluminum over metal or plastic. I used to race bicycles and developed a fondness of aluminum and carbon fiber.(even though carbon fiber has some plastic characteristics due to the resins used).

I'm a fan of classic styling and efficient function, but as long as the case protects the components and keeps the operating temperatures within recommended parameters, go with what you like!

Edited by widdlecat - 04 Jul 2008 at 1:52pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2008 at 6:30am
Its not that heavy, id say around 40lbs. Even the scrawnist of computer nerds can pick that amount of weight up...and hell if they cant, just slide it across the carpet...it almost slides too easy
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
FLighT View Drop Down

Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 8:13am
Originally posted by SunfighterLC

I have the cosmos S, you wont be dissapointed. Though keep the tape on the bottom bars, nobody will notice, its not worth having the paint come off with the tape.  There is no door blocking access to the drive by the way. There are two little clip doors on each side of the front, but they dont block or hinder access to the drive(s) all they do is hold the mesh grills on. The doors are sorta flimsy so watch out for that.

The black top all around the power button is a finger print magnet so watch out for that and have a rag handy if youre a neat freak. It is a very open air, so expect some dust cleaning every month or so. If you got stage 3 air cooling they will put LED lighted fans on the top, from my experiments these fans are basically useless, as having them running or not, blowing in or out, will have zero to negligable effects on the CPU or GPU temps.

Also watch when you pop the panels out that you are there to catch them, if you just let them fall out they might bend at the bottom, and the side with the fan will rip the cord for the fan out of its connector if you arnt there to stop it falling. Prepare yourself for a very big and very heavy case. Fairly easy to move around there. Dont put it on carpet if you have to put some books or something to lift it slightly off the ground. It will improve airflow  for the bottom fan + the fan for the power supply.

Good to hear that, I ordered the "S" with my new build.

Edited by FLighT - 18 Jul 2008 at 8:14am
ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 9:07am
I've read the power button can be finicky as it's a heat sensor of some sort.

Anyone get that?

Also hows the noise on that beast?
bjt
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 10:26am
Its more of a pressure button then anything. Ive accidently turned off my computer only once, and thats because i was whipping the front down with a towel. Other then that i havent had any problems
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
FLighT View Drop Down

Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2008 at 12:31pm
Here's some not so good news, I was just looking through the CoolerMaster NA forums, apparently there is some sort of issue with the large side panel fans on the Cosmos S self destructing and the blades tending to spew about the inside of the cabinet! Apparently power switch issues as well.

Never mind, problem solved, DS just called me (out of the blue) to let me know that they were still waiting on the liquid cooling components to arrive for my build and that the Dual Loop system for CPU and single video card I am having installed would install better in the 950i case and save me a few bucks as well. I'm liking this company more and more already.

Okay, no more surfing component manufacturer websites. Wake me when it's over, and delivered.Thumbs%20Up

Edited by FLighT - 18 Jul 2008 at 3:06pm
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by FLighT

Here's some not so good news, I was just looking through the CoolerMaster NA forums, apparently there is some sort of issue with the large side panel fans on the Cosmos S self destructing and the blades tending to spew about the inside of the cabinet! Apparently power switch issues as well.

Never mind, problem solved, DS just called me (out of the blue) to let me know that they were still waiting on the liquid cooling components to arrive for my build and that the Dual Loop system for CPU and single video card I am having installed would install better in the 950i case and save me a few bucks as well. I'm liking this company more and more already.

Okay, no more surfing component manufacturer websites. Wake me when it's over, and delivered.Thumbs%20Up

Plus you'll be able to see all the tubing better thru the window! wuwu! Embarrassed
FLighT View Drop Down

Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 6:07am

"Plus you'll be able to see all the tubing better thru the window! wuwu! Embarrassed"

I guess that will be a plus so I can check on the coolant from time to time without having to open the box.
 Post Reply Post Reply