FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Could use some advice for a new dev computer

Post Date: 2020-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tag1431 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tag1431 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Could use some advice for a new dev computer
    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 10:11am
Hello Everybody,

I'm attempting to configure a new development computer that I will also play games on from time to time.

Budget:
$4000 is what I would like to stay at if possible.

Expectations/Usage:
I need the computer to be able to handle data analytics and machine learning algorithms on large datasets (number crunching), use the Adobe Suite without too long of delays for rendering in my various projects, and work in various IDEs (mostly JetBrains) for programming and VR development for work. I'm interested in the 3090RTX performance card since reading the specs/info about them, they are close enough to Titans although I still get the gaming aspect out of them.

I would also like to be able to play games like Cyberpunk and various VR titles during my off time/wait time.

Special Needs:
I will need to be able to put at least 5 internal 3.5" SATA drives into the case for a RAID5 setup. I already have the drives, just need a case that can support multiple drives and a motherboard to support multiple SATA connections.

Does anyone know if I can use my Windows 10 Enterprise volume license on this instead of being limited to have everything configured on Win10Pro and risk messing something up when I change the license?

Specifications:
I did manage to put together a config (3587124) although could use some guidance to make sure I'm not choosing something that just adds costs vs performance. :)

I would also like to consider this build (3587185) if it is worth the money. I would like to gain the advantage of liquid cooling for the CPU and GPU to help with noise and thermal reduction.

Edited by Tag1431 - 27 Nov 2020 at 10:21am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 3:48am
Hi,

IMO your budget is not enough for what you posted.
I went to the workstation section and made one up for serious machine learning and was in the neighborhood of $30,000.
And only with 2 gpus.
You really need 4.
You need a lot of RAM and preferably EEC.
The case is the correct one.
But that is my sole opinion.
Good luck.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:21am
The last thing I think you should want is a PCIe Gen 3 Intel gaming chip. All AMD CPUs and boards are PCIe 4th generation, and the latest Ryzen 9 chips outperform Intel. What you need most is a lot of cores and a lot of RAM. The Ryzen 9 5900X will widely outperform the Intel CPUs you chose, and the PCIe 4 will provide longevity and superior performance from every part. Especially the PCIe 4 3090 will run better than on a PCIe 3 system.

I have spit-balled a build with the monster 5950X 16 core CPU. This is the one you want if you can fit it into your budget. The 5900X is around the same price point as the 1099K Intel, but is about 20% stronger in multi-core performance with 2 extra cores. So choose that one if it fits your budget. The 5950X bests the 5900X by 25%, and the 10900K by 45% in multi-core tasks.

The motherboard I chose has 8 SATA ports, but I think you will need to check with DS if it will support RAID 5 , because I honestly don't know. The Firecuda SSD is PCIe Gen 4, on sale, and superior to the PCIe 3 Samsung you chose.

I am not a fan of custom liquid cooling. If you want it, it will cost you for little gain, IMO. Then you will have to maintain it. That case with all its cavernous room and some 14 fans is a cooling monster. The all-in-one CPU coolers are very good, and the GPU tends to run cool believe it or not. A recent stress test result I saw got it "all" the way to 68C. Very chilly for a GPU.

So here's the build:

3591293       $5215 with discount.

The 5900X would make it $4865. Don't trust me on the motherboard because I don't know about RAID 5. Otherwise, it's a great board with a lot of thermal management built in.

Hope it helps.
Tag1431 View Drop Down

Quote Tag1431 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:23am
Thanks for the reply and help.

I understand and while I wish that was in budget, it is not. My boss would laugh at me.

What about just to verify my code prior to uploading to Hadoop on a reduced dataset? I would like to use something besides Kaggle Notebooks everytime just to make sure my code does what I want vs what I typed. :) My current computer does it just fine with datasets ranging in the 1000 to 2000 records. I'm interested in an upgrade though.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:37am
   My dear friend, I'm just a lowly gamer with maybe too much knowledge/info on the recent state of computer parts. It is so amusing that what you just asked is like a foreign language to me. Anything outside of what I said about your build vs mine, you'll have get from a DS tech if you can, including that bit about the Windows Enterprise license. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Tag1431 View Drop Down

Quote Tag1431 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:38am
Thanks,

I was looking at a AMD build prior to the one I posted. I too seem to think the motherboard options were better for AMD vs Intel CPUs. I'll check out some benchmarks and reevaluate my choice on that. Thanks!

Your advice on liquid cooling is just what I needed to see this morning. I was wondering if the extra $1000 was worth the money. Never used liquid cooling before and that changes a lot on my build options, more money to dedicate elsewhere.

For the motherboard RAID, I'm sure the boards listed for AMD supports RAID5 if they support RAID at all. Easy enough to verify though and a very good idea.

I'll check out the build you put together and seriously thank you for the help!
Tag1431 View Drop Down

Quote Tag1431 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Cretae

My dear friend, I'm just a lowly gamer with maybe too much knowledge/info on the recent state of computer parts. It is so amusing that what you just asked is like a foreign language to me. Anything outside of what I said about your build vs mine, you'll have get from a DS tech if you can, including that bit about the Windows Enterprise license. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

My apologies on the confusion!

Your advice is very much appreciated and useful! The reply below yours was meant for the other reply post from mine. I just didn't want to include the quote section.

Thanks again!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:59am
That does clear it up.    And you are very welcome!

That mobo says it supports 0, 1 and 10. On the other hand in the RAID section of the configurator, DS says they can give you RAID 5 without any disclaimer for certain mobos. Of course, they can't configure yours unless you were to send them your drives, but they would certainly know the answer to the question on that board. My thinking is you might require a RAID card. I know little of such things.
Tag1431 View Drop Down

Quote Tag1431 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Cretae

That does clear it up.    And you are very welcome!

That mobo says it supports 0, 1 and 10. On the other hand in the RAID section of the configurator, DS says they can give you RAID 5 without any disclaimer for certain mobos. Of course, they can't configure yours unless you were to send them your drives, but they would certainly know the answer to the question on that board. My thinking is you might require a RAID card. I know little of such things.

Did some research on my RAID question based on the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero mobo. Looks like it doesn't support RAID 5 according to the mobo manual. Using RAID 10 is similar although it takes your drives and halves them so to speak. Basically, 4x1TB drives using RAID 10 you only get 2TB of usable space.

Looks like I'll take that extra savings for a RAID card that will be overkill for my data needs, but nice to have. :)

Thanks!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 12:14pm
Hi,

I'm sorry, on your question on verification of files prior to ul, I can't help you there.

Post Reply Post Reply