FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Couple more questions before I order

Post Date: 2015-07-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bmicinski View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Couple more questions before I order
    Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:18am
Budget:
[2100.00]

Expectations:
[Run modern games close or at max settings]

Usage:
[Strictly gaming]

Special Needs:
[none]

Saved Ticket #: [Quote #: 1241963]

Couple more questions before I order. Is the selected motherboard SLI capable if I eventually go to a 1440 monitor instead of the 1080 and want to add another 970 card? Need a wireless card to connect to my wifi did i just miss that somewhere? And lastly, i know ZERO about liquid cooling. Should i keep that setup or switch to fans? If so which ones? If i keep the liquid cooling do i need to do anything to it or add solution etc as maintenance?

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 9:58am
Hi bmicinski...   Yep, the the Z97-E mobo is sli ready.  

The wireless card option is under Internet Access in the config.

The Vortex 120mm rad cooler is just fine and being a sealed unit, requires no maintenance.   You could go for one of the Noctua coolers,  They are tops in reliability and quiet and cool just as good if not better, but are huge.  Some don't like them because they overhang a ram slot or two.  The ram slots access to them is removing the Noctua fan and or cooler.   Usually just the inboard most slot .   Either will keep your cpu cool with the modest overclock. 

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Jul 2015 at 9:59am
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:04am
Thanks, suggestion on wireless card to pick?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:22am
I think they give you only one option for an internal WiFi card.  The others are the external USB dongles.    I use a USB dongle for my older rig and hard-wire to LAN port on back of my new rig.  

Some say the internal; cards with their antennae are better but I've never looked into it. 

bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:44am
Thanks! Ordered! :)
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:45am
Will update again when i receive it in with my thoughts on the process, condition, and how well it runs.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:45am
Nice. Awesome

What WiFi did you go for? 
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:51am
I did the external one. Not the super cheap one but the ASUS. I figure if it doesnt work super well i can always upgrade later but I'm sure especially for just getting started it will work just fine. Excited to finally have it on order though. I've wanted to buy one even two years ago but I've been working on paying off other stuff first like car, student loans, and even an engagement ring :)

Thanks for all your help bprat!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:56am
My pleasure. Big%20Smile
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:28pm
Update for those interested:

I received the computer Friday afternoon.  The box it came in was huge and despite playing geometry wars with the box and my car in the parking lot leaving work it would not fit.  Fortunately my friend lives close to me and happened to bring his truck that day.  Please note the box size is not a complaint only an observation.

TL:DR - packaging was extremely good.  arrived perfectly.

I'm glad actually the box was so huge.  It was packaged extremely well.  Had some cardboard with a film of plastic over creating an air pocket on top and bottom the tower rested in.  There was some other misc packaging and a cover over the tower to prevent scratches.  Inside the tower was their storm shield protection to keep the components from rattling around.

TL:DR - setup was easy, inside of tower is monitored wired neatly, no extra bloatware, runs incredibly quiet and powerful.

It plugged into existing monitor and speakers i had very easily everything was of course very straightforward.  After the system was plugged in it booted up with no issues and loads extremely quickly.  There was no extra "crap" loaded on so to speak and there was a nifty binder with all the backup CDs.  Even connecting to the internet with the ASUS wireless USB device was easy.  It was online about 4-6 minutes after plugging it in and turning it on. 

TL:DR - ARMA 3 running maxed out on ultra @ 60-70 fps with no hiccups or performance lag.

I only currently have ARMA 3 and path of exile (free to play) loaded on there because while I'd like to go broke buying a ton off steam to play on it and try out to see how it all looks i just dont have the money to buy tons of extra games at the moment haha.  That being said ARMA 3 loaded perfectly and runs incredibly smoothly even on ultra settings.  Path of Exile (not as graphically intense of course) is obviously running perfectly and maxed out as well. 

Overall I'm exceedingly pleased with the process of ordering and the performance of the computer.  I received regular updates from DS during the build process.  The build process itself didnt take an incredibly long time.  It shipped with no scratches or broken components.  The setup was very simple and it runs perfect.  I'll admit i expected to have SOME kind of process whether with shipping setup, missing something, or the way it works but i have genuinely had ZERO issues.  Very impressed.  Can update one last time after 3 months roughly if anyone is interested for performance and long term use etc.

Thanks!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 10:37pm
Outstanding! Thanks for the chuckle with "geometry wars"...   

Post Reply Post Reply