FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU and GPU?

Post Date: 2008-10-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tyler_14_420 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tyler_14_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU and GPU?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 2:07pm
Hey, I was recently at a local computer store y'know, checking out their stuff. They had nice fans and quite a few parts I was interested in. The clerk at the store told me to wait until Early 2009 because new technology would come out where the CPU can run as a GPU and vice versa. I don't see any reason why he'd lie since I was interested in buying something...

I tried googling but didn't find anything. Any confirmations on this?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 2:15pm
What is Larrabee?
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 2:34pm
The clerk could also probably be talking about Havendale as nothing as indicated Larrabee for a early 2009 release.

It's a duo core CPU with an integrated GPU for the mainstream market which isn't scheduled to release until the second half of 2009.

Why not just buy from newegg or ncix, more choices and cheaper by a long shot probably.

Edited by skyR - 22 Oct 2008 at 2:38pm
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 3:18pm
Intel Larrabee is expected to be launched sometime in 2009 with samples as early as Q4 2008. Larrabee is a multi-core, programmable general purpose graphics processors (GPGPU). It is a GPU, physics and scientific calculation chip all in one. It will use a tweaked x86 instruction set and be used for specialized applications. The GPU is expected to contain up to 16 cores and each core can execute up to 4 simultaneous threads allowing up to 64 total threads. Larrabee will be manufactured using Intel's 45 nm process. Each core is thought to be able to operate at speeds above 2 GHz. Larrabee will introduce a new extension set called Advanced Vector Extensions which will be similar to Intel's SSE extension sets. Larrabee will support OpenGL, DirectX and ray-tracing instructions. Larrabee will use GDDR5 memory.
tyler_14_420 View Drop Down

Quote tyler_14_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 2:54am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Intel Larrabee is expected to be launched sometime in 2009 with samples as early as Q4 2008. Larrabee is a multi-core, programmable general purpose graphics processors (GPGPU). It is a GPU, physics and scientific calculation chip all in one. It will use a tweaked x86 instruction set and be used for specialized applications. The GPU is expected to contain up to 16 cores and each core can execute up to 4 simultaneous threads allowing up to 64 total threads. Larrabee will be manufactured using Intel's 45 nm process. Each core is thought to be able to operate at speeds above 2 GHz. Larrabee will introduce a new extension set called Advanced Vector Extensions which will be similar to Intel's SSE extension sets. Larrabee will support OpenGL, DirectX and ray-tracing instructions. Larrabee will use GDDR5 memory.

Sounds interesting. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it's coming out any time soon by the time I buy my computer.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 2:59am
its probably not gonna be out soon, and I don't think it will do great for gamers as a separate components would do, but thats just speculations, we will know when it comes out.
 Post Reply Post Reply