CPU Cooler options

Post Date: 2012-08-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU Cooler options
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 8:25am
I recently got the Slade Level 2 and picked the Corsair H100 for my cooling solution but failed to realize it would require me to remove the top panel of my Obsidian 500D case at all times. This case was designed to be quiet and removing the top panel for two fans to run at all times wasn't a good solution for me (plus my PC is right beside me and having the air blow up on me at all times isn't ideal).

So I'm looking at other options. I know DS has the Corsair H60 and Hyper212 but I'm also looking outside DS at the Corsair H80. I'm concerned about temps but mostly concerned about the noise generated by any of these solutions.

Anyone have any advice? I'm kind of new to the CPU cooler selections and getting a little over whelmed reading too many reviews.

Thanks
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:52am
Just get some scyth gentle typhoons they are whisper quit. Side note I bought some nzxt performance fans they are running at 2600rpm and are quiter then the zalman fans that ds installs which run at 1850 rpm. Another option would be getting a fan controller that way when you are just browsing thee web etc you can turn the speed way down then during gaming or cpu intensive applications turn it back up
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:03am
Thanks tju76. The issue is this is my CPU cooler fans so I can't really reduce them or turn them off. The H100 that shipped with my system was not ideal because the fans in the top required the top to be open and the funs to always run. My idea was to have the top closed and if necessary put in optional fans to turn on and off when the temps needed to be controlled better (using a fan controller as you mentioned). This leaves me to replace the Corsair H100 with something that doesn't have fans in the roof of my system.

I know DS has the Corsair H60 and the Hyper 212 but I'm also considering the Corsair H80 since I'll be buying this on my own and replacing the H100.

Anyone have any experience or ideas about a good, quiet CPU cooler option? I'm also tight on space so have to avoid really LARGE units.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 1:38pm
Hi John,

You should consider the Noctua NH-D14. It has two 120mm fans and does equivalent cooling to the H100. Now if you truly have the H100 you can reduce the fan speed with the controller. It should run OK at medium speed.

Frank
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 2:44pm
Hi JohnD212,

There is a speed selector switch on top of the pump housing of the Corsiar H100.  Obviously it would require removing the side panal to change speeds though.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 4:21pm
The Noctua NH-D14 won't fit in my case. I checked that with DS and the Corsair Obsidian 550D does not have enough room for it. It isn't the fan speed of the H100 that bothers me. My computer sits right beside me and I can't have fans constantly blowing straight up. If my computer were under my desk or away from me it wouldn't bother me so much. I really also don't like having the top of my system open like that all the time. 
SpicierMire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SpicierMire Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm
If the bad look won't bother you, why not cut the side of a cardboard box and tape it to the top in a curved fashion to funnel the air away from you?
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 5:05pm
Well I didn't spend $3,000+ to have card board taped to the top of my system. I didn't realize this particular cooler had top fans and want to rectify it with a different cooler. I'm looking at the H60, H80 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. 
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 8:23am
Hi JohnD212,

You might want to take a look at the very thorough review of 550D case on HardForum for cooling solutions. One the coolers they use is the Silver Arrow which is every bit as large as the D14, so I'm not sure why DS says the D14 won't fit (problem with clearance given the memory sticks DS used?).

I use an H80, which I believe is functionally equivalent to the DS Vortex, and like it. It's quiet with stock fans, as long as it's on low speed, but too noisy for my tastes at the intermediate speed and impossible to live with at high speed. While cooling performance will vary depending on components, in my rig (2600K, Silverstone FT02), my temps range from 30C to 60-65C (room temp 22 C), going from idle at stock speeds to full load overclocked at 4.4GHz using low fan speed. If I needed more cooling I'd change to quieter fans. Corsair has some new ones reviewed here which seem to work well, and other folks have used Noiseblockers to good effect (don't remember which one, but could look it up if you need the info).

Marty
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 9:24am
Hi John,

I am confused. You say you have the H100 but DS doesn't sell that anymore. Did you special order the H100 or do you have the Vortex 240 cooler.

I also think the Corsair H80 would be a good choice. It will blow out the back. I would still want an exhaust fan at the top.

Frank
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:08am
Thanks Marty...i will look into the H80. I don't mind it but I just heard it can be noisy and that is what worries me. I don't want noise. 
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi John,

I am confused. You say you have the H100 but DS doesn't sell that anymore. Did you special order the H100 or do you have the Vortex 240 cooler.

I also think the Corsair H80 would be a good choice. It will blow out the back. I would still want an exhaust fan at the top.

Frank

Hi Frank,

DS does sell the H100...the Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition). It is still listed and is the Corsair H100. It even says Corsair on the pump.

I am considering the H80 but my concern is noise. I would gladly swap the fans on the H80 for better ones but I'm new to the entire Static part of using fans on these types of watercooling systems. I know you can't just use any fan if you want the watercooler to operate well.

I do plan to put a quiet 240mm fan in the top (eventually) but will hook that to a fan controller so I can turn it on only when I'm gaming and need the extra vent - otherwise I can keep that top panel on so the system remains quiet.
Wakka View Drop Down

Quote Wakka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 5:34am
I have the 800D, which has 3 fans on top, they all blow into the case though, not out. Its also pretty darn quiet for a rig with like 11 fans. I cant imagine your case being all that loud, youre going to have fans regardless of what you do, why dont you just move the case?
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 1:06am
What I've decided to do is know my options (going with Open Air cooler perhaps inside the case, put in the H80 perhaps) but for now I'm going to set my system up and give it a week or two to make sure it all works good then see how I feel. I might consider replacing the front Corsair fans (there are two in the front of the case) with lower noise, higher air flow fans at some point. I guess i realized replacing the CPU cooling can be done at any point. I was trying to do it even before I set my new system up which made no sense.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply