FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU issue?

Post Date: 2012-03-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maeg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maeg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU issue?
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:47am
Greetings,

Around last June I purchased an ODE ("Best") pc. Shortly after receiving it, I noticed that I would frequently get TDRs on it while playing certain games. I looked up common methods of solving TDRs and had various degrees of success. These would sometimes be rainbow-like colors all over the screen, othertimes my screen would completely freeze or my screen would blackout for a moment then return to normal. Over the next several months I also noticed that I would frequently get "Overclocking failed" error messages and that my computer would reset itself once or twice everytime I powered it on. After several months of cleaning out drivers, installing new ones, reverting old ones, and putting my pc on "power saving" in the bios, the issues subsided.

A couple days ago, I brought my pc back up to "performance." The first day went great, with no freezes, TDRs, or any other such issues. However, yesterday I couldn't play any game without freezing after 5-20 minutes. At first these were common TDRs (the rainbow colors flickering and such), but after a few times it would freeze my system entirely. I tried changing drivers, putting my pc in "balanced" and "power saving" mode, but the freezing would continue. The best I got was about 40 minutes in one session on "power saving mode."

Last night (after a day of this), things worsened. I started seeing the logo for the motherboard come up during start up, which it never has before. It typically pops up 3-4 times during start up. Before starting windows, an error message appears stating that the CPU fan has an issue and it directs me to the BIOS (unable to start up/access windows). I've tried "power saving," "balanced" and "performance," but the same errors occur on all settings.

I plan on calling CS about this, but any words of advice from the forum would be appreciated.  Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 7:59am
Sorry for all the headaches.... Not sure if you did it, but the first thing to try is what we always recommend....re-seat gpu, connectors to gpu and connectors to mobo and memory sticks.
  If your getting cpu fan messages make sure the fans, I'm guessing the A70?? , is plugged into the mobo header and that the fans are running.

Is the gpu fan running?   Also, download HWMonitor   http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

and run it while stressing your rig, either gaming or Windows Experience Index is a quick check..  Check cpu core and gpu temps. 

Could be lots of things...tough to tell from here.

Temps for both cpu and gpu should be 70's C or lower.  85C is tops.

Another check....try one RAM stick at a time if still having problems.  The overclock failed message is sometimes really a boot issue related to ram.

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Mar 2012 at 8:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply