FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU OVERHEATED, whats the damage?

Post Date: 2011-10-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Flavin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU OVERHEATED, whats the damage?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 1:37am
So got home from work tonight and my ODE LVL 3 was turned off.

Didnt think much of it until I went to power it on and it turned on for 2 seconds and shut right back off. WTF so i let it sit for a few minutes and try again. This time it gets half way booted and i see a warning message "CPU OVERHEATED OVERCLOCKING FAILED" I have not done any self overclocking my self only what DS did for me.

It was a nice day today in my town but not HOT at all, I believe i left my fan control at about 25% of maximum and hadnt played on it all day being that I was at work for 12hours.

Im not messing around with it at all tonight and plan on making a call to DS storm first thing in the morning, My question is will there be any permanent damge to my CPU or any other parts?

Ive had this PC for only about 3 weeks and this is the first problem I've had, will any damage be covered under the warranty? Like I said I plan on calling DS first thing in the morning, Just wondering if theres any damage to my baby so I can sleep tonight. THANKS

~ B. Flavin
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 1:44am
the fan control you are taking about is the one on top of the case? if yes that has nothing to do with it.

what is your room temp?

I doubt there is any damage at all, the system will shut itself down when temps get too high to protect from damage.

does the system turn on now?
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 1:48am

TY FOR QUICK REPLY.

Yes talkin about control of top of PC, I havent really messed with it since i saw the error, I felt the watercooler on top of the CPU and it felt quite hot, so i put my lil room fan infront of the pc and let that sit there for 20 minutes. Went back and it feels cool now, but scared to turn it on.

Weird thing was i havent been on the computer all day, virus scans set to run at 4am so it couldnt have been that, and either way no way would that over heat the system.

So you think i should try and turn it on, when i first tried after seeing it was off, the fan lights never came on until i turned the fan nob up to max, thought that was very strange. THANKS

~BF
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 1:56am
Room temp is average, never to hot, i love in chicago suburbs never crazy hot during the fall.

Anyways just went to turn it back on everything seemed fine, except the fan lights only turn on now when i turn the fan dial to the max.

PC stayed on for about a minute and then died, didnt try and run anything was going to give it a few minutes to chill etc.  I felt the CPU cooler b4 starting it up and it felt fine, not hot not cold, so I am at a loss here.

Suppose ill try once more before bed, but you say the chances for permanate damage are slim? Cause $2,400 for this bad boy wasnt no easy task to save and then spend and then this. as always THANKS in advance everybody.

~B.Flavin

PS. Trying to quit smoking cigs, this sure as hell doesnt help
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:21am
Wait..you have an ODE...so that hot "watercooler" is a self-contained waterblock/pump combination. Since you said it was quite hot, there's a possibility that the pump burnt out due to some manufacturing defect, causing the overheat due to a lack of heat-carrying media going around.

Check your radiator mounted at the back of your case while the system is on, the air coming out should be warm and not cool.

If any damage shows, I believe DS will pay shipping back/forth and fix it at no charge given that it's within 30 days of build.

Edited by ablahblah - 05 Oct 2011 at 2:33am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:34am
Talk to DS tomarrow, it could be your cpu cooler or something else, they will take care of you.
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:36am
WATERCOOLER thats the word i was looking for, this is my first water cooled system, so i only know about heatsinks.  Yes, when i returned from work and notice the problem first thing i check was the temp of that WC with the back of my hand, and it was super hot. I thought the watercooling fail would be the only thing that made any since, since the CPU overheated.

I will check the temp of the air comming out of the watercooling unit. Like i said im still uneducated when it comes to watercooling, i should have done more research before my purchase but the summer ended so fast.

Again thanks for all the help. Will post more info about when I turn the system back on
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 12:14pm
You can't really check the lc temp like that and with your hand, for it to get warm or hot, the pc needs to run for a while, also the rad on the lc is suppose to be hot/warm (depending on room temp) when working.

is the fan on the rad working?

most times if the cpu is getting overheated its because whatever is cooling it is not sitting properly or is not working properly.

ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 7:45pm
Regardless, a toasty motor in a failing system has never been a good sign in my past experience...

Again, since that's an all-in-one liquid cooling loop, the waterblock he's referring to also houses the pump for the liquid cooling loop. I don't believe Asetek or CoolIT make systems that house the motor in the radiator, it's always been combined with the waterblock unit. Regardless of how long the loop has been on, the fact that there's a failing system with a hot waterblock in THIS configuration implies that there's actually something wrong with the pump.

Edited by ablahblah - 05 Oct 2011 at 7:48pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 8:56pm
So just talked to DS tech and as you all and myself suspected it is something with the water cooler.  In the bios the CPU fan is comming up N/A. So its gotta be something with that right.

The strange thing is all the fans are running on the water cooler and the air comming out the back is cool. So they are sending me out another water cooler which should arrive in 3-5 business days, and thanks to youtube i shouldnt have any problem getting it installed and up and in running.

My only concern is what if the water cooler wasnt the only problem, guess only time will tell. DS tech said sometimes these things just fail so guess i just got the unlucky one then huh.

Anyways thanks for all the help here guys and to the tech at DS ty for the fast callback, didnt realize you guys work past 5. I'll let you guys know how everything shapes up when i receive the new water cooler
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 11:57pm
keep us posted man!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 3:55pm
@Flavin,

If you need anything else, feel free to contact me directly: [email protected]
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:27pm
Cool air coming out of the back of the radiator essentially confirms what I suspected. If cool air is coming out, then that means heated liquid isn't getting circulated throughout the loop, and that the pump unit is malfunctioning. This will cause local overheating at the waterblock and pump area.

Replacing the whole liquid cooling unit should fix the issue, let us know.
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:39pm
when my gpus are not under load my fans blow out cool air also, as I mentioned you need to have the pc running for a while and under load, and allow things to get heated up, then you check and see if it is still blowing cool air, if it is then you are correct, problem is that his pc would not stay on long enough for us to even check the temps.

also if the wb is not seated properly, you can have cool air coming out of the fan due to the fact that wb is not seated on the cpu so its not getting hot.

You make some good points but teh cool air thing is not helpful all the time, some time it can give the wrong idea.

now most likely it is the cpu cooler, I agree with you on that.

@Flavin, if you have looked at the video on how to change, while waiting for the new one to get there, make sure that the current one is seated properly and etc.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Oct 2011 at 6:04pm
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 11:49pm
Long weekend, got promoted at work so have been very busy. But i did have a chance to take off the water cooler and make sure it was seated correctly, and that went ok, so its defently a failed watercooler.

The new one should be arriving in the mail on the 12th, one question do i have to use thermal paste?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 11:54pm
Yes.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:06am
yes you have clean the surface on the cpu that has it now, then reapply new thermal paste and then sit the cooler.
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 10:29pm

Well i asked becuase on that youtube video I watched the guys talking about the corsair watercooler said there was some time of paste or something already on the cooler under some plastic to keep it nice and fresh for me.

Who knows well find out tomorrow when it hopefully arrives with fedex
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 12:14am
Ya once you get it you will have a better idea of what you gonna be doing.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 1:43pm
it may come with a thermal pad type thing and not actual grease.
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 6:33pm
So received the cooler yesterday, right on time, and finally have some time to install it today, so gonna go ahead and get to it.
I did some youtubing and im farely certain it has thermal paste pre applied... i hope, who knows about these youtubers now a days.

be back in a bit
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 9:18pm
Wow so i ran into every problem in the book, probaby didnt help i had just got off a 10 hour shift on 5 hours of sleep, but besides that.

My ODE is up and running once again. I want to thank you DS for the quick support and delivery of my replacement part, I believe all this was fixed in a week.

Now my real question is, What are the chances of any damage to the CPU, I know it shuts down to prevent damage but i did turn it back on after it failed a few times. Also Question #2 How can I check to make sure the DS overclock settings are still enabled.

As always and FOREVER Thankyou all,
                                                               Brian Flavin
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 12:18am
If cpu had damaged you would notice as it would not be stable or work correctly or work at all.

put your cpu underload and check the "core temp" with CPU-z
Flavin View Drop Down

Quote Flavin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 10:03pm

WOW been so busy at work lately, anyways the CPU temps are good everything is going great so far, when i get a chance to use the thing.

Now the problem seems to be my I7 2600k is at 3.4 ghz which I believe is factory standard for the I7. Come to think of it I cant remember what it was clocked at when I received the ODE LVL 3 in the very beggining, anyways I dont believe there is any overclocking done on my processor at this moment.

I will be looking into this further once i get a legitamite day off.

PS. DS the malfunctioning watercooler is in the mail on the way, shipped it earlier this week.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 3:19am
to know your oc you have to run cpuz and do what I recommended.
 Post Reply Post Reply