FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU usage high....spiking to 100% at times

Post Date: 2012-08-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Brent72 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU usage high....spiking to 100% at times
    Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:25pm
So, up until Saturday my DS computer that I've had for nearly a year now was running like a Ferrari with no issues whatsoever. Then the other day I noticed when I first started it up the CPU usage meter spiked all the way to 100% and stayed there for a few seconds. Then, when I tried to open my web browser or e-mail they were very slow to open and the CPU usage was running really high again. Long story short, I did a virus scan, malware scan, etc. and nothing showed up. Took the computer to a local repair shop run by a couple of guys I know and let them take a look at it. They did a more intensive virus search and found a couple low level threats, but nothing severe. They also checked the hardware and said everything looked fine. Told me to take it home and see if problem was still occurring so I brought it back to the house and the CPU usage is still really high. I can't even try to run a game as the system bogs down and becomes almost unresponsive. Any idea what could be causing this and what the fix might be?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:48pm
Hi Brent72.... Have you gone into Task Manager....Processes.. to see what's using cpu usage?       Try a System Restore to a point before it started.       If you use Sleep Mode then don't. It can play havoc with some computers.    Turn off your internet modem and router to isolate from the web.      Anything new added like hardware or software.    
Brent72 View Drop Down

Quote Brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 6:03pm
I tried doing a System Restore, but unfortunately that didn't help. Also, I don't have a Sleep Mode active on this computer since it's a desktop system. In the processes tab there really isn't anything out of the ordinary. What I've found to be happening is any time I try to open a program or run a game the CPU usage spikes to 100% or a very high number where it wasn't doing that before. Also, when I first start the computer it goes to 100% and stays there for a few seconds and that also wasn't happening until Saturday. I've done a ton of Google searches trying to isolate the problem, but I still can't figure it out. The thing that's most troubling is this is a gaming desktop, but I can't even run a game because of the CPU issue. A tech is supposed to call me back tomorrow, but I'm just looking for answers on here if anyone has them. Thanks for responding, bprat22.
Brent72 View Drop Down

Quote Brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 6:30pm
OK, quick update. I watched the Processes screen for a long time and every now and then MsMpEng.exe would go to the top and have readings of anywhere from 10-95%. I think that is the Microsoft Security Essentials program I use to protect my computer. Any idea why it would be causing such high CPU usage?
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:24pm

Does your internet provider provide you with a free anti-virus? If so I would try completely uninstalling it and installing the security your provider has for you. Or another option would be installing eset as they provide you with a free month and see how you like it and see if you still have the usage spikes with that program.

http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/5/?trl=ea

Doing a quick google search it seems your not the only one with this problem and Security Essentials.
Brent72 View Drop Down

Quote Brent72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:04pm
Hey Andy,

Yes, a quick Google search shows a lot of people have the MsMpEng.exe high CPU usage problem. The strange thing is that I tried uninstalling Security Essentials to see if that helped matters and the CPU still spikes very highly with svchost.exe sometimes taking the place of MsMpEng.exe in the processes tab. I'm convinced that there's a deeply embedded virus that the system is looking for, but so far every removal tool I've tried has come back with nothing. It's driving me crazy!
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:14am
In your spot I would do a clean install and download a new antivirus.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:33am
Brent72.   It does sound like you've found the probelm.   AndydViking's advice might be the fix.  
I would boot in Safe Mode and then run a virus scanner to see if that helps, before a OS re-install.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 8:29am
Have you went into msconfig and see what is running. Turn off everything that you don't need at startup.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 29 Aug 2012 at 12:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply