FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU V-Core

Post Date: 2011-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cerebros View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU V-Core
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:18pm
 So I received my computer about a week ago now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Massive improvement from my old PC by leaps and bound. I am worried about one thing though.

DS was able to overclock my computer to 4.7 GHz but my V-Core is very high even when I first start up the PC at 1.48. From what I have read that is high even under full load and I have got that at idle. I really don't want a dead CPU in a years time. Would this be something I would need to call DS about, or is there anything I can do on my end?

Thanks

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:29pm
Call DS and ask them for the highest oc you can get with a vcore lower then 1.4.

at 1.45 vcore and 24/7 use, around 3 years or so your cpu can endup dead, it could be longer it could be shorter, but keep in mind that is if vcore is at that level 24/7.

they will help you change bios settings (oc settings) and then take it from there.

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Aug 2011 at 4:29pm
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:46pm
i would call like dst said. For reference you should be able to hit 4.7ghz at right around 1.375V
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:00pm
Ya tho its different from cpu to cpu I have also seen lot of 2600k with around 4.5Ghz - 4.7Ghz at under 1.4 vcore.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Ya tho its different from cpu to cpu I have also seen lot of 2600k with around 4.5Ghz - 4.7Ghz at under 1.4 vcore.

i completely agree each cpu is different but that v-core is way to high even if its a bad chip. Almost as important as v-core is your line load calibration(v droop). If its set to low and allows the v-core to droop your gonna have to put alot more voltage into it to stay stable. Higher line load calibration will allow you to run lower v-core. my chip is at 4.5ghz stable at 1.35V =)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 6:54pm
That is what I was saying also, I think that vcore is too high.
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:31pm
 So I ran LinX and these were my results I got after running it for just 5 minutes. Those temps seem pretty high.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:18pm
temps are ok but 5 minutes is not enough, so run it longer, if all cores go above 85c then that is high.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 11:31pm
did you call them to ask about your v-core. If you wanted me to help you i can also help if you cant call do to work or what not.
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 3:22pm
 Just an update I called DS and was able to set my OC down to 4.5. Was wondering though my vcore at idle is 1.104 and under load jumps up to 1.48. Is that normal to jump up that high?

I ran LinX again and my temps seemed quite a bit higher from the 4.7 overclock. I ran it about 3 minutes before I turned it off since all but one of my cores was reaching 88 and my Package was up to 91.

I would actually welcome some help from you Rice. I have tried to fiddle around with my voltage settings under bios and not much has helped unfortunately.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 4:30pm
I'm a bit confused, didn't you ask them for the highest oc you can get with the vcore staying under 1.4? only load numbers count.

I mean it looks like you had a 4.7GHz oc with 1.45vcore, now you have a 4.5Ghz oc with 1.48 vcore? thats worst of both worlds, lower oc and higher vcore.

the point here is to lower the vcore and try and keep the 4.7Ghz oc, if not then say vcore of 1.39 and the highest oc that can hold, which should be around 4.5 to 4.7Ghz.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Aug 2011 at 4:32pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 12:19am
alright lets start simple here.

Go into your bios and let me what the vales are for these values.

internal pll overvoltage
load line calibration
vrm frequency
phase control
duty cycle
cpu current capability

these are the most important

obviously your running offset mode
is it offset plus or minus
cpu offset voltage value
Dram voltage
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 11:25am
@ DST
 I did ask them for as high of a oc that I could get below 1.4. We tried twice changing the voltage from 0.120 and then to 0.110 but it didn't change my vcore much. I am thinking though if I gave it a little bit more time I would have saw it lower at 4.7 but I didn't give it enough time looking at cpuz.

The tech said to give it a week to see if my performance lacked at all with the new voltage but I am still not happy with the way the results came out. The only plus side I got out of it is my PC no longer stays at 1.45+ but lowers to 1.1 when I am not doing much to stress the cpu.

Temp wise I am also puzzled about because my room temp is usually 64-68 right now yet my temps when I run say LinX are jumping up to high 80's and low 90's in less then two or three minutes.

@Rice

Here are the values I found on my OC:

Internal PLL Overvoltage - Enabled

Load Line Calibration - Ultra High

VRM Frequency - Manual at 350

Phase Control - Standard

Duty Cycle - Extreme

Cpu Current Capability - 100%

Offset is set to plus

Cpu Offset Voltage - 0.110

Dram Voltage - 1.65000

Thank you both for your help and replies.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 1:17pm
the reason your load voltage isn't coming down much is because the value was barley changed. going from .120 to .110 is going from 1.46 to 1.45, its not gonna do much.

All your values are spot on you just need to tweak your offset value which should be easy.

Go into your bios and change your offset value to + .020 and run prime/linx for long enough just to see your max v-core at load. If its below 1.4 you can do around 20 passes of linx or do like an hour of prime and we can tweak.

@your temp question extra voltage really adds to the temp alot. Once we get your voltage under control the temps will be acceptable.

edit- if for some reason when running linx/prime and it locks up just increase your offset, i would go with .025 then .030 next but you shouldnt need to add more voltage if anything you could prob take some off if .020 is stable.

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 01 Sep 2011 at 2:42pm
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 1:52pm
When the tech helped me with the same problem, my offset was changed from 0.120 to 0.065 and that gave me a load vcore of 1.37 at 4.5ghz oc.  Ran prime95 and it was fine.
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung M.2 SSD EVO 970 1TB
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Bensonc120

When the tech helped me with the same problem, my offset was changed from 0.120 to 0.065 and that gave me a load vcore of 1.37 at 4.5ghz oc.  Ran prime95 and it was fine.

Thats the biggest problem with offset, the base value the offset modifys is different for every chip and no one ever knows the value so it requires a bit of tweaking. So each person to get the same v core will need different offset values.
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:41am
 So I changed my Cpu Offset Voltage to .020 like you said and ended up with a higher voltage at 1.47 which doesn't seem right. Is there something else I am supposed to be changing other then that because lowering made it worse not better. I still would have liked to try a higher OC but it seems I am going to have to go even lower then 4.5 to even lower the voltage in which case I would say why did I even bother paying the extra for stage 2 to begin with.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 1:50am
do me a favor and go into ai tweaker>cpu power management and tell me what the turbo multiplier is set at and more importantly additional turbo voltage setting along with the other settings.

Try lowering your line load calibration to high and see if this effects it.
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:08am
I lowered the Load Line Calibration to high and it took my idle to 1.096 and on full load I was switching from 1.416 and 1.424 so that got a bit better there.

CPU set to Auto

Enhanced Intel Speedster Technology - enabled

Turbo Mode - enabled

Turbo Mode Parameters

Long Duration Power Limit - Auto

Long Duration Maintained - auto

Short Duration Power Limit - Auto

Primary Plane Current Limit - Auto

Additional Turbo Voltage - 0.008

Thank you again Rice
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:13am
no problem man see we are making some head way. I would change the additional turbo multi voltage to auto.

Lower your line load calibration one more level and see where the v-core goes.

again if for any reason your unable to boot or lock up checking v-core just boot back into bios and change back the settings and report back.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:14am
if your v-core doesn't drop you could raise the line load back up to high and reduce the offset.

After you try whats in my last post.
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:28am
You are awesome so far my pc is jumping from 1.364 - 1.396 and temps are high 70's and low 80s running linx.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:33am
Originally posted by Cerebros

You are awesome so far my pc is jumping from 1.364 - 1.396 and temps are high 70's and low 80s running linx.

:D thanx man lol

when your comp is under full load is the v-core rising or is it drooping down. So for example when linx is really stressing the comp its sitting right at 1.36 and then rises a bit as load goes down?
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:38am
It pretty much just is jumping up and down I have ran 3 passes so far and ranges from 1.372 up to 1.402 being highest so far temps highest is package at 80 and lowest is core 0 at 65
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 2:58am
Alright so just finished running 10 passes of Linx. I ranged from 1.372 - 1.431. It only stayed up at 1.4 for about 20 seconds or so then it went back down

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:00am
make sure your not doing anything when doing linx. The voltages seem a bit jittery for when the cpu is under full load.

Try going down another notch on the load line(regular) and see what your load and idle v-core is.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:01am
if normal makes the voltages stay in line a bit more we can play with the offset.

out of curiosity what power supply and model asus motherbaord do you have?

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 02 Sep 2011 at 3:02am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:13am
i may of overlooked a setting change your phase control to up two setting to extreme.

edit- sorry for the amount of changes im asking you to do. I want to make sure your computer is running properly

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 02 Sep 2011 at 3:15am
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:15am
1050 hx psu and motherboard is Asus p8p67 deluxe.

So far I have gone from 1.344 - 1.40 so it is just jumping around a lot still. Don't have anything running except CPUz and hwmonitor
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:16am

1050 hx psu and motherboard is Asus p8p67 deluxe.

So far I have gone from 1.344 - 1.40 so it is just jumping around a lot still. Don't have anything running except CPUz and hwmonitor

phase control should hopefully fix this then report back to see if it jitters.
Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:29am
Isn't jumping as much but still is ranges from 1.33 min to 1.40 max according to hwmonitor. On CPUz it still mainly switches from 1.336 - 1.360 mainly but still get spikes
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:40am
are you seeing 1.4 show on cpu-z when its spiking? It could be hwmonitor reading the v-core wrong. If your not comfortable with the spikes you could overclock by manual voltage which is much easier its just your processor wont down volt at idle(it can still downclock to 1.6ghz)

offset route

i would use cpu-z for the v-core i think you've got a good settings for 4.5ghz stable.

if you wanted to keep it at 4.5ghz i would run a good 20 runs of linx at max problem size and all memory.

if you wanted to push it back to the 47 multi i would do that and change the offset to + .035 and then run 20 runs of linx.

Manual route-

Change the load line calibration to very high

set a manual voltage for a 45 multi to 1.35

set a manual voltage for a 47 multi to 1.375

Run linx for stability.

This may not fix the jittering but its a strong possibility.

Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 3:50am
It might just be hwmonitor because I reset it about 4 passes ago and it is now saying 1.33 min and the max being 1.37.

I would probably be fine putting this back on manual since when DS sent me this system it was on manual and the tech had me switch it to offset. I guess my only concern is running it at a constant v core, will that kill the CPU quicker?

Those numbers to set it manual when you say 45 and 47 those would be the ghz numbers I would be changing right? Also with all the changes we made for offset will they need to be reverted back to the way they were if I went back to manual?

Thank you again for your help tonight. I am sure you probably have better things to do but I sure appreciate it.

Edit: I think I found the culprit for the high spikes. It was my Norton 360 which starts background tasks when the pc is idle after X amount of minutes. Oops

Edited by Cerebros - 02 Sep 2011 at 3:53am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 4:04am

It might just be hwmonitor because I reset it about 4 passes ago and it is now saying 1.33 min and the max being 1.37.

I would probably be fine putting this back on manual since when DS sent me this system it was on manual and the tech had me switch it to offset. I guess my only concern is running it at a constant v core, will that kill the CPU quicker?

Those numbers to set it manual when you say 45 and 47 those would be the ghz numbers I would be changing right? Also with all the changes we made for offset will they need to be reverted back to the way they were if I went back to manual?

Thank you again for your help tonight. I am sure you probably have better things to do but I sure appreciate it.Edit: I think I found the culprit for the high spikes. It was my Norton 360 which starts background tasks when the pc is idle after X amount of minutes. Oops

To be honest offset voltage either works for some people or it doesnt and some motherboards dont even support offset voltage for overclocking. Long story short as long as your voltage isn't to high running a constant voltage is perfectly fine.

When im refering to 45 vs 47 its the multiplier its the number you changed when you were on the phone with the tech to bring the speed to 4.5ghz. 45 multiplier is 4.5ghz 47 is 4.7ghz.

"Also with all the changes we made for offset will they need to be reverted back to the way they were if I went back to manual?"

All you would need to do is click on the area that says offset mode and change it to manual and you'll see a field below that to plug in a voltage. If you ever wanted to go back all you'll need to do is change it back to offset + and plug in the offset value to get back the settings. Every thing else stays the only other thing you would need to change is the load line calibration.

Cerebros View Drop Down

Quote Cerebros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 4:12am
Cool I'll give manual a go again. I am going to see if I can keep this offset profile and save a new manual one to the 2nd slot.

Thank you again for your help tonight Rice. They really should pay you guys since we have been at this now for 3 hours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>