CPU-Z reading cpu speed at 2ghz??

Post Date: 2008-01-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU-Z reading cpu speed at 2ghz??
    Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:28pm

Anyone know why my computer would be running at 2ghz?  My computer shows 3.67ghz.  Please see screenshot below.  Specs in my signature..

MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 10:42pm
also, bios is reading my cpu temp at 80c.... 

Edited by MarkNY - 29 Jan 2008 at 10:49pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2008 at 11:22pm
Feature called speedstep. You can disable it in the BIOS if you want your CPU to be running at 3ghz 24/7.

You should remount your heatsink ASAP.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 12:06am
I'll bet that is the temp activated clock reduction kicking in rather than speed step. And yes, before doing anything else, make sure your water block is actually mounted to the cpu.
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 2:07am
SkyR is correct, its the Intel Speedstep technology feature. It can be disable in the BIOS:

Intel.com
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production. By decreasing power and heat on Desktop PCs, system builders can (depending on system configurations) potentially lower acoustics, and even develop more innovative small form factor designs. Additionally, this feature can help address power concerns in companies with sites approaching the limits of bounded electrical infrastructures. Combined with existing power saving features, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology can provide an excellent balance between providing power when you need it and conserving it when you don’t
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 8:31am
hrm.. remounting the heatsick isn't something i'm exactly comfortable doing on my own... I'm assuming that I have to send my computer back to DS a week after I received it, which is more than a bit frusterating.

Edited by MarkNY - 31 Jan 2008 at 3:36pm

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 11:10am
Interesting. I would have thought it was this:

Originally posted by EVGA 680i owner's manual page 50 fig. 11

CPU Thermal Control:

Use this function to enable or disable TM1 and TM2 support. The options are:

>Disable
Disable support for TM1 and TM2

>TM1 only
The CPU is thermally throttled by cutting active processor clock cycles.

>TM2 only
Thermal throttling is achieved by reducing the CPU multiplier and CPU core voltage.

>TM1 & TM2
Enables support for both TM1 and TM2.

Either way, I'd find it extremely hard to believe DSO just said "screw it we're shipping a system without a CPU heat sink attached". I've heard of water blocks becoming unattached just transporting a system to a LAN party, and this in the care of the system's owner, not a small group of random strangers working  for a shipping company bringing the system cross country. My money would be on vibrations encountered during shipping, or just outright rough handling.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 30 Jan 2008 at 11:19am
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 12:19pm

Maybe...although the box was really in good shape and it was only a 2 day flight.  Also, for what it is worth, i opened the case and touched the water tubes coming in and out of the processor and they were border-line hot (if that means anything)...  What happens if I keep using the computer at this temperature?  I played Crysis for 2 hours the other day before I noticed the temp problem and it ran flawlessly.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:11pm
Honestly, there's only so far you can get on the forums. I mean, people try to help, but if I were in your shoes, I would be calling DSO at this point and asking about these system temps. I wouldn't be comfortable running a machine that hot without at least a conversation over the phone with a tech.

However, if I were going to try and investigate further, the next thing I would look at would be the radiators. I would check and make sure they had good air flow (fans operating normally).
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:36pm
Yeah. I will be calling tomorrow when i'm back in front of my computer.  Its just difficult b/c i have a really busy work schedule this time of the year :/.

I checked the fans, they are running, but don't seem to be at 100 percent. Maybe something to look into.
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 1:47pm
For a water cooled system to run 80C something seems very very wrong. Please download and install coretemp to monitor your temps:

coretemp
*64bit will not run this program

Even though shipping abuse is always a possibility, I really doubt the waterblock is loose. That thing is screwed down. If anything, check to make sure your pump is working properly.

Edited by Duke - 30 Jan 2008 at 2:20pm
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 2:28pm
Duke,

I ran that program yesterday and it was reporting temps in the 70s for all cores while idle.  How do I check the pump?  I can see water flowing through, but i'm not sure if it is at the correct speed.

Edited by MarkNY - 30 Jan 2008 at 2:28pm
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 2:40pm
Put your hand on the pump and make sure you can feel it vibrate/working. Also check the reservoir and see if you can notice the water level moving. If you're getting flow, then this just makes me scratch my head.

The CPU waterblock should be easily accessible when the sidepanel is off. It should be mounted down tight, see if its wiggling or seems loose. You can hand tighten it down via the four thumbscrews. I'm sure you can figure it out by looking at it. You do not need to un-do any tubing.

Can you also please provide a screenshot of coretemp too.
* Press the PRTSCN button on your keyboard to take a snapshop of your screen. Open Microsoft Paint, hit CTRL-V to paste and save.
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2008 at 2:47pm

Hi Duke,

I will check everything when I get home tonight and post screen shots at that time.  Thanks!
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 8:35am
Ok, I checked and water seems to be flowing well to and from the waterblock, which is also well secured.  The problem, I think may be due to the fan above, or within the top radiator.  It doesn't seem to be moving and the lights are off (there are lights on the back radiator and I can easily feel air moving from it).  Maybe the power cable came undone? Also attached is core temp screen shot.  It was taken 30 minutes after startup with the computer idling.

Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 12:34pm
Thanks for the screen shot Mark.

Please confirm if the fan is working or not and let us know ASAP. We'll gladly send you a replacement.

Edited by Duke - 31 Jan 2008 at 12:35pm
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 8:15pm
Ok- well the fan on the back radiator is working.  So no problems there.

As an interesting side note to the 2000 mhz issue, if I run games it will raise the speed to 3667 mhz, however BIOS shows both speedstep and CPU thermal control to be disabled, so i'm not sure what is going on there... 

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 12:12am
Is C1E Enhanced Halt state enabled?
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 1:21am
Yeah its the C1E Enhanced Halt State option in the BIOS.

Mark if all your cooling components are working properly, then I am stumped to why you're getting such a high temp reading. I will talk to my water cooling guru and report back.    
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 9:03am
Hi Duke,

I spoke with Alex for about 20 minutes on the phone yesterday.  He said as long as the system was stable, the temp of my CPU (67c-90c) should be ok.  He advised that I could send the system back in order to install another radiator or lower the OC to 3.33, however, it really wouldn't be necessary unless I noticed problems.

He seemed to think that the two ultra cards were dumping too much heat into the cooling system.
pgs8113 View Drop Down

Quote pgs8113 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 9:21am
I thought I had heating problems (62 degrees under full load, but I don't have liquid cooling, just air), but 90 degrees is pretty high for liquid cooled.

You should consider sending it back..   or talk to someone else with the same system, I thought ED1371 (something like that) had a similar set up, see what kind of temps he is getting.

see my post

DOG LOVER said this (similar specs, thermoelectric cooling)
"I have a smoking DSO rig, and it pukes out the heat like a space heater.  My core temps at idle range anywhere from about 37 - 45 C (Every one is always different). When I get in and do some heavy gaming for several hours at a time, they have NEVER gone over 51 - 52 c... EVER. 

If you are getting up to 65 C, I am thinking you may have some issue.  One easy one: Have you cleaned your grates and fan blades and air intakes regularly? I have seen people that never open up and clean their machine have so much built up lint that it looks like a plugged exhaust vent from a clothes dryer!"

Edited by pgs8113 - 01 Feb 2008 at 9:25am
QX6850 Extreme 3.33 Ghz (OC)
nvidia 680i Core 2 Quad(A1)
2Gb Corsair Dominator 1066 Mhz
1x150 Gb Raptor (10k)
1x320 Gb WD
8800 Ultra 768 Mb
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 10:28am
Ed's system is very similar to mine- not sure what his temps are though or if he has dual loop. Doglover doesn't have his cooling looped through his video cards, which i'm beginning to think would have been a good idea! haha :)

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 10:35am
I would save my OC settings, and lower the CPU to 3.33 and see if I noticed any performance difference in games personally. At 333 and X10 multi, you should be able to drop your Vcore considerably from where you're at right now. I would suggest this not only for the sake of your CPU, but also for your pair of Ultras.

Another thought... can the fans on those radiators be swapped out to something that may generate a bit more noise, but move a lot more air? Something like Scythe Ultra Kaze 133CFM?

I wonder if you lowered the OC short term and tried out higher volume fans afterward to see if you could return to the faster setting at lower volts.
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 5:08pm

out of curiousity- in my case, would it be bad to disable C1E Enhanced Halt State?

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2008 at 7:35pm
Mark, I also checked more into your order, you do have a top FAN with Radiator. Please check if the TOP fan is spinning.
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 2:38am
Mark, the C1E state is merely for power reducing/saving modes when the system is idle. Its not necessary bad if you disable it, you'll just have to answer to Al Gore!   
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 11:32am
it doesn't look like the top fan is spinning... I will call on Monday to discuss (or feel free to call me)...
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 12:02pm
checked BIOS system monitor:

right now it reads:

CPU Fan Speed: 1205 RPM
nforce Fan speed: 4269 RPM
Chassis Fan Speed: 1240 RPM
Aux Fan SPeed: 0 RPM
Chassis Fan 2: 0 RPM

Let me know if thats normal...

Edited by MarkNY - 02 Feb 2008 at 12:08pm
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2008 at 2:34pm

ugh.. not that its a big deal, but now the lights at the base of the machine won't turn on.. they randomly shut off while I was out jogging.

MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 10:46am
As an update- the fan over the radiator is running, although I had to take the casing off the computer in order to see it move... Even so, I played Crysis for 2 hours last night, spiked the CPU temp up to 96C- however, I didn't notice any performance issues.  As a side note, after playing for that long I touched the upper radiator and it is to the point where if you hold your fingure on it for more than 2 seconds it starts to burn.

Not sure if I can get the machine any hotter...Right now I am ok with letting it run hot provided it doesn't hurt performance.  BTW- both ultras are running around 87C during gaming...  I'm beginning to think air cooling would have been more effective!
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by MarkNY

Anyone know why my computer would be running at 2ghz?  My computer shows 3.67ghz.  Please see screenshot below.  Specs in my signature..

This shows your Vcore at over 1.5 volts. It doen't surprise me that your chip is running hot. That seems way out of line for a CPU that isn't overclocked. This chip is rated for a 1333 MHz FSB, right? 

As an experiment, I'd go into the BIOS and set Vcore to 1.4 V and see if the machine will boot. If it won't I'd start turning down the FSB speed until it does. That's not a solution, but I'd want to know what the core temps are at that lower voltage. 

Guys, am I missing something here? Are the Quad Extremes supposed to run with parameters like these?

Your chip shouldn't be this hot, but Vcore shouldn't be that high either.

Edited by Bill the Cat - 08 Feb 2008 at 1:07pm
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 11:55am
I bought and installed a a couple extra fans around the top radiator and in the case.  While it is  a bit louder now, I dropped the idle temp to around 55c and the load never seems to go about 75c. yay.
 Post Reply Post Reply