FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crashing

Post Date: 2007-12-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Solo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Crashing
    Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 8:52pm
1-3 minutes into any game the game will crash and comp goes to desktop.

Comp is not overheating

E6850
2 8800gt
2gb mem
audigy LS

any ideas? tried reinstalling graphics drivers, tried installing beta graphics drivers...
commast View Drop Down

Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 9:08pm
Have you try shutdown all your firewall,anti-virus,anti-spyware and IM apps ? Re-install DX ? Re-install soundcard driver ?  Did you OC your Video card or RAM ? Which OS are you running? Your problem is most likely due to video card or RAM issue.

Edited by commast - 17 Dec 2007 at 9:10pm
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 9:14pm
No OC on ram or video card.  .. ill reinstall DX and sound card driver..

I have tried turning off AVG 7.5

WIN XP

I tried turning everything off
commast View Drop Down

Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 9:34pm
Reseat Video card ? Check all connections ? Switch RAM slots ? Yes i know it's seem like a lot of work but it may help to isolate the problem.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 10:36pm
OC on CPU? If so, try lowering it or setting it to default speeds.

- Scan for viruses, spyware, and clean your registry.
- Close everything in processes that you do not recognize.
- Get the latest bios and drivers for your hardware.
- Try with one stick of memory
- Re-install DX9

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 11:32pm
okay, tried reinstalling DX. didnt work. Comp is clean, all processes are necessary....

I finally put resolution on monitor to 1024 768 and its okay.

Any higher resolution and game crashes.. =[ =[ =[
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Dec 2007 at 11:33pm
resolution in games has to be 1024 by 768 as well.. its weird.. my monitor supports up to 1600 by 1050 or something like that
Pineapplerum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2007 at 9:57pm
Hi Solo,
My computer keeps crashing on me, too.  Stupid graphics card. Confused I'll be playing something simple like the Sims 2 and it'll freeze up.  The sound will still be on but the picture will freeze, although I can still move my cursor but then my computer reboots itself.  Really strange. I'm starting to get aggravated with it.  It's really annoying.  With having trying to turn off other services on your computer?...I don't see why you should have to turn your things/services off to play a game.  Disapprove  That bites.  I can play Sims 2 fine on other computers and they don't crash and I don't have to turn off any firewalls or any other services.  I don't think you should  have to do that on a computer that you spent a lot of money on.
It's got to be the graphics card.  They said they were having problems with them.  Maybe the ones we received are bad or something.
I hope your computer fixes soon, Solo.  I hope mine does, too. 
I am really disappointed I keep having this problem with it. 
I'm thinking of going back and playing on my other computer until this gets resolved. Maybe I should try turning down my resolution, too? 
I want a new graphics card.  This one sucks.

Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2007 at 11:27pm
welll what worked for me was to take both ym video cards/ram out and reseat them.

I do have an SLI bridge which maybe wasnt' all the way on or something.. I dont know mine is good.

If its just the SIMS2 crashing you can try to get ahold of their tech support.. COD4 would crash on me like crazy but thats because its not really compatible with steam.........
Solo View Drop Down

Quote Solo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2007 at 1:47am
DSO should include with each computer, a few pages with pictures explaining how to reseat and check all cables before they start up their system.  I was able to figure out to do this all on my own, but I know several people who would be too excited to do it or just not know any better.

It would probably save DSO a lot of time because the most common response to most problems is "Reseat memory/video cards"
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:01pm
I did unistall and then reupload the driver like DSO told me and mine still crashes.  I don't know what the problem is. This time it didn't reboot itself.

It seems to happen after I've been playing for a couple of hours.  Do you think it could be overheating?  I don't think it's that, I upgraded on the cooling system, got a bigger case for what I purchased and I got the cable thing done.  I would think that would give it enough air circulation to stay cool.
What is an SLI bridge?
One other thing, after the bios booting, my computer stays black for about a good minute and then the windows page finally comes on.  Is this normal? Why does it take so long to boot?
I think I may start another thread asking.
What does it mean to reseat?
Can you explain that to me?  I'd like to try it.  My computer traveled all the way across the country. Maybe some of the cards got knocked loose.  Can you give me a step by step process?
Thank you!!!! :)
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:10pm
Reseating is just a simple word for removing the component and installing it again to make sure it is properly inserted into the slot.

Use a temperature monitoring program like CoreTemp to make sure it isn't overheating.

A SLI bridge is used to connect two video cards together for SLI.

Edited by skyR - 02 Jan 2008 at 1:22pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:24pm
THanks Sky.  Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:26pm
Core temp download, it asks, mirror 1 or mirror 2.  I haven't the foggiest clue.  I guess I'll just try mirror 1? 
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:37pm
Mirrors are just download servers so any would work.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:45pm
Thanks again, SkyR, one more question.  Where do I download it to? 
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:47pm
Doesn't matter.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:48pm
Okay, I just downloaded it to my desktop. I didn't know if it had to be in a certain folder. 
I'll try this and see how it goes.

skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:52pm
Remember to go to Options and enable logging. That will make a notepad document (to the location you saved it) taking down all the temperatures.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 1:59pm
Okay, I'll do that.
At what temperature should I start to worry? Right now it's reading.. 37c, 32c, 31c and 35c for the different core #s.  That seems fine. I guess when it starts getting up to about 99 or something I should be concerned?

skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 2:02pm
If it hits 70, you should start to worry.

You should DL RivaTuner to monitor GPU temps as well.

Edited by skyR - 02 Jan 2008 at 2:05pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 2:57pm
I tried the DL RivaTuner but it seemed too confusing to me so I uninstalled it.  I'll just go with the core temp for now.
Smile
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 3:03pm
coretemp monitors CPU and RivaTuner monitors GPU =\
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 3:16pm
okay
Know what?  I went to Nvidia out of curiousity and I was nosing around and in a section I clicked onto it said that you must turn off your virus protection before installing the driver or it won't work right. 
I didn't do that when I installed the drivers.  I think this may be what's wrong?  I hope.  I reinstalled it without the virus protection.  Let's see what happens.
I appreciate all you help SkyR -you're really smart.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 3:33pm
I played last night for 2 hours, it was fine.  I'll play again tonight.  I hope this is all that it was.  If it was then I owe Digital Storm and everyone a big apology for being such a pain in the butt about this when it was my own stupid mistake.  
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Pineapplerum

I played last night for 2 hours, it was fine.  I'll play again tonight.  I hope this is all that it was.  If it was then I owe Digital Storm and everyone a big apology for being such a pain in the butt about this when it was my own stupid mistake.  

Hmmmm... yes, so we see now.  You will now go to your room until told to come out.  You've been a very bad guest.
4261 View Drop Down

Quote 4261 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Pineapplerum

Don't worry, that's what skyR is for Tongue
Have another rum on DS.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2008 at 5:09pm
Grrrrs, it crashed again so no, that wasn't it.  Sigh.  Of course, it's the weekend and tech support isn't in. 
I'm going to try and reseat the graphics card and memory.  Wish me luck.  If this doesn't work then I think I'm going to ask to exchange my graphic card with an upgrade or downgrade or something. 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2008 at 5:55pm
Okay, I did it.  I reseated it.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I was a little too gentle with it and the cards wouldn't come out or go back in at first but then I gave it a little muscle and everything did as it was supposed to.
So, I'm going to play Sims 2 for a few hours tonight and then for a few hours tomorrow. If it freezes up on me DSO will be hearing from me first thing Monday morning.  Tongue 

Know what, they're getting sneaky now.  They no longer have a toll free number.  I guess this way we won't bug them so much? LOL  We'll pay for it if we do?
Dag, I have to call across country.  Man, I don't have a long distance plan either.  I'm going to leave a tech a support ticket and tell them to call me. Approve That way I won't have to pay for the long distance.  I'm sure they have a long distance plan.  And anyway, it's a write off for them. 
Smile

Well now, let's see how my baby does now that she's been reseated.   Oh, and I dusted her fans, too.  Amazing, I've only had her for a month and she was dusty.  I guess with having 2 dogs, that'll happen. 

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2008 at 7:16pm
I played for a little more than an hour and once again, it froze and got all red and I had to reboot my computer.  I'm going to try reinstalling the darn driver one more time without the virus protection on.
GRRRRRS!
 Post Reply Post Reply