Post Date: 2008-02-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
impyshaz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote impyshaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Custom Orders
    Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 1:15pm
I'm addressing the Customer Service Reps/Techs that happen to read through this forum, as well as those helpful enough out there to add their own input.

Is it possible to request 8Gb of Ram being installed into your computer?

I ask because I recently (Friday evening) put in the order for my system, which would be running Vista 64-bit with 4Gb of Ram.

Doing some research over the weekend I am not so sure I want to stick with Vista 64-bit anymore. The way I see it I have two options.

Per this article:  http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/15/vista_workshop/

It was made clear to me that simply having 4Gb memory with Vista 64-bit does not overcome the overall excess the operating system requires. You get a minimal performance boost at best, and generally it just eats up whatever memory increase the 4Gb cap would have given you. Vista 64-bit really is able to shine however when using 8Gb of Ram for your system. I would like to try this option and would like to know A) If it is Possible and B) How much it would cost.

If this simply is not doable I would like to modify my order. I'm not sure how I do that exactly. I likely will jump down to 2Gb Ram and move down to 32-bit if this is not possible. I also need to modify my order to include some extra "Scythe" fans for the case. There was no where to put this but the comment section of the order form. If there are instructions on how to go about these requests, please let me know. As of now my order has been received, but not yet processed.

Thanks in advance to all,
-Impyshaz
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2008 at 11:32pm
I read that article as well, and have to say, it's one of the more disappointing articles I have read at Tom's Hardware.  I kept waiting for some benchmarks to illustrate performance differences, and they just never came.

The relevant portion of the article:

Originally posted by Daniel Shuhmann of Tom's Hardware

We can also see that the 64-bit versions take up quite a bit more memory as well. Again, the explanation is very simple: all of the variables are no longer only 32 bits long, but 64 bits instead. Typically, this makes applications between 20% and 40% larger, which consequently results in a higher memory footprint as well. File formats such as music files or videos are not affected by this.

The upshot is that it doesn't make sense to install a 64-bit version of Vista in order to better utilize 4 GB of memory simply because the 32 bit version would only recognize 3.5 GB. The problem is that while it is true that you would "gain" the missing memory, you would also immediately lose it to the system due to the 64-bit version's larger memory footprint. Thus, using a 64-bit version really only makes sense with larger memory sizes.

I won't try to convince you not to install more RAM, but I question how an average of a 60% increase to the effective RAM installed does not keep pace with a 20-40% increase in RAM footprint. Especially considering the author goes on to say that most applications that would be run today are of the 32-bit variety, and as such, would not require a larger RAM footprint. We are left to 'take the author's word for it' when it comes to his disparaging remarks about systems with "only" 4GB of system RAM.

I also take issue with the remark about 32-bit systems recognizing 3.5GB of system RAM. Perhaps this is true of systems without discrete  GPU's and other hardware common on gaming rigs, but for most builds I see on this forum, the 32-bit OS is only going to be able to address 2.5GB on average. This goes back to what I was saying about a 60% increase of the system's effective memory.  Later in that same article, a test system spec is shown and then absolutely nothing is done with it. I was left wondering where the rest of that article went.

If you do happen to see a better explanation, or even a more complete article elsewhere, I would be keen to read it. I was certainly interested in the subject matter, as I have been considering installing a 64 bit version of Vista and going with a 2x2GB kit.

As far as special requests, DSO will do just about anything you want to pay for with a build. The best way to get these requests filled, is to contact DSO directly by phone.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 18 Feb 2008 at 11:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply