FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dad with $2K budget looking for help

Post Date: 2020-11-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brirx View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: dad with $2K budget looking for help
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:54am
Budget:
[$2000-$2500]

Expectations:
[looking to buy a gaming pc for 13yo son for birthday/Christmas and struggling to find good deal with my very limited knowledge of computers and his expectations. he mostly plays COD on laptop and complains FPS is low. he wants to move to desktop with monitor with better refresh rate. I've looked at cyberpowerpc and was close to buying a hp omen 30-l with a 3080 gpu but when i get to customization options and get overwhelmed especially with cooling and don't know if need to upgrade number of fans or size of fans. it seems what I thought would be a decent budget might not be all that much in the gaming pc world.
if someone could configure a pc that would be good bang for the buck I'd appreciate it. he seems to be very focused on 3080 card if that can be in the build it would be a plus.]

Usage:
[COD, fortnite]

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:47am
Two things you must know. AMD is more advanced than Intel right now. Second, everyone is talking 3080, but it is very hard to get in the market, and it is not at all necessary for a great gaming experience first time out. When he knows more about computers and gaming on them, you can always get a faster card later.

That said, here are a couple of builds in your price range. I used the Lynx case because it comes with RGB fan enhancements built in, and it saves on the case so we can get better parts. To see these builds in the Configurator, go to the main page, upper right: "load Config. Click on that and a new window opens. Copy and paste just the config# in the code window and <enter>.

3568015     $2004 after a $200 discount you'll get at checkout.

This is a very strong build all around at this price point. Computer monitors come in various resolutions. the only two we are interested in are 1080p and 1440p. At 1080p which is a super picture at 24", this rig, with an Nvidia RTX 3070, will crush every game out there on the highest settings and very high framerates. On a larger monitor at 27" or more, you probably would prefer a 1440p resolution. This rig will also perform very, very well on such a monitor. It won't get the fastest frame rates in every game, but it will get very close to or over 100fps in most. It will get well over 100 fps in COD on Ultra. I've seen benchmarks from 125 to over 150fps.

If you simply HAVE to HAVE a 3080, know that it is a total waste of money at 1080p. Know also that the framerate enhancement on a 1440p is in the eye of the beholder and barely noticeable to many. If you don't have two monitors playing the two cards side-by-side, you would never know the difference. You can go online and watch You Tube videos of the two side-by-side, and there's just not that much to see, IMO. so here's a build for that:

3568055       This one is $2152 with discount

Note the second one has come down a notch on the CPU to a 3700X. That is not a crippling performance blow by any means, but it could reduce the longevity of the machine going forward. A lesser CPU could possibly limit your choices for a future video upgrade.

If it were me, I'd have the young man do all his own research on the two cards and what they are capable of. Have him see if he can see the differences in the videos. These cards have taken a mighty leap forward technologically just recently, and the 3070 is faster than the former highest-end Nvidia card just a couple of months ago. As far as I know, they are available now, and there seems to be about a one-two month wait for the 3080s.

brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm
thanks for the info Cretae i appreciate it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:50pm
Awesome
Welcome to DS and congratulations.
Cretae is one of the gurus in creating systems for users. He will not give you more than you need and/or can afford,
Enjoy.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:46am
You are very welcome. I hope it helps you and that lucky young man!
brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:31am
Cretae,

Can you look at this build and advice if this is a better value or not as good as the one you originally suggested.
This is what I was looking at before finding digitalstorm. Thanks.

OMEN 30L Gaming Desktop PC, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Graphics Card, 10th Generation Intel Core i9-10900K Processor, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD and 2 TB Hard Drive, Windows 10 Home (GT13-0093, 2020) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HR91FHT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_c1.UFbQ27SMYP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:14pm
That Omen is from HP. If it were me, I would not buy it.
Any of those companies that build out of the box gaming PCs like that, are using the bottom of the barrel stuff to put theirs together. Yes, it's a 3080, but it probably did not pass muster to be used at places like this. The combination of parts they use are parts they have laying around. Many times, those parts will work together BUT, not the best at playing well together.
Custom PC builder, like DS here, know exactly what parts are made to work well together, hence you only see certain things listed in the configurator.

Do a little research and you will see that what I am telling you is true, plus you will gain more insight on parts used for building PCs and who they go too. I did, and was glad I did.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 23 Nov 2020 at 12:17pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:22pm
Thanks. I just want to be sure. Some of the specs APPEAR better but I get that doesn’t mean it’s good overall. I appreciate your response.
Thanks
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm
I'm not sure what I looked at. The price I saw was $4000+, and that's a total rip-off.

My suggestions are by your budget, and they are PCIe Generation 4 computers. The Omen is soon-to-be obsolete PCIe Gen 3. All parts you may get in the future to enhance either of those builds will be Gen 4 parts. They will be backwards compatible with a Gen 3 CPU, but they will not perform as well as they should. Just FYI, all the better GPUs we're talking about here are Gen 4 parts.

You absolutely do not NEED more computing power than I have recommended. No one NEEDS 32 GB of RAM. No one NEEDS a 10900K CPU for gaming. If you want to increase the budget, I still won't recommend a Gen 3 build.
brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:47pm
The omen was $2200. It seemed to be close to the build you suggested. But had slightly larger ssd drive and more ram. With the 3080. So it seemed like a bit higher spec components for about the same money. But I want sure if any of those parts were less quality or if the case would get too hot etc.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:26am
Do they have a forum you can get information on the system and what you want to use it for like here? Check it out.
You know "Caveat Emptor" might apply. Chilling
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:05am
Good Sir, I have visited the site address you directed me to twice. The exact equipment you describe is priced at $4179.99. I have been to the HP website, and there is nothing there that would indicate that price would be on anything they sell with that equipment. If I can't go where you send me and see what you saw, I can't debate on the merits. In my searching far afield, all I saw from HP aside from the $4179.99 model you showed me, had last generation parts from six months ago in the $2000 range.

Amazon nor HP will stress-test your rig for flaws before they ship it out. The NVMe SSD I recommend is 5 times faster than a SATA SSD. They don't warrant every individual part for a year, probably the whole thing has to go back to be replaced. There is no mention of lifetime support from experts.

I'm not interested in disputing anything, just citing facts and saying I can't find what you saw. Every hand-built DS machine is superior to any off-the-shelf assembly line PC at any price point. That's an opinion. If you buy here, you will never regret it.
brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:37am
Cretae,
I appreciate your advice and am sorry if I’m coming across as trying to dispute you. I am not. I have only the slightest knowledge of computers to where I see 1 tb > 512gb etc. I was very close to ordering the
Omen a few days ago. It was in my cart while I tried to decide if I should upgrade any components. Then it was gone (sold out). So I looked at Amazon and found one and it too must have been the last one and same thing happened. Added to cart and went to checkout and gone. So I went to a site that tracks availability and got an email saying it was back in stock. And this time I ordered but it still seemed off so I tried to post the link in hopes you’d point out why omen was not the way to go vs lynx.
I have placed order for your recommended build (and already had when I bought the omen too?! So I quickly cancelled the Amazon purchase)
I see where the link I sent only shows the real-time price as opposed to price as I had purchased at. I think the $4000+ is the “out of stock” price gouge price.
I believe this link shows what I saw albeit the price I had was $2200 plus tax.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14578627-hp-omen-30l-gaming-desktop-w-rtx-3080-and-i9-1976-on-amazon

Again Thanks for your help and sorry if I came across as anything other than appreciative.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:56am
brirx,

I am a 72 year old curmudgeon, but I don't intend to come off as one.
That does appear to be a heckova deal that obviously ran afoul of the 3080 supply issues. It is a faster CPU, but the NVMe SSD will outperform the SSD by a huge margin. It's basically instant everything. The GPU, according to comments at the site is an HP clone that does not appear to be well regarded. I didn't even know HP did that. As I said, the 32GB of RAM will not come into play for gaming. Most games don't even access 16GB.

I don't know if that is a sketchy site or not, but I would hate to test it out if the rig came and just wouldn't work. Who would you turn to? That is not even a question here.

You are honorably welcomed here as a "Verified Customer", so it's pretty pointless to hash this further. Obviously we are nearly as passionate about our facilitator (DS) as we are about our hobby. They have been tripped up occasionally during this trying time by circumstances, but we veterans here know they ALWAYS make it right, and that is extreme value added.

I just want to assure you above all, that your son will never be able to perceive anything but excellence from whichever build you chose. The fact of the matter is that the top CPUs today are way overpowered for gaming, and the GPUs have just recently become everything we gamers have been hoping for. It's not necessary to go to the very top end to get brilliant performance for the first time ever.

I'm humbled by your apology, but it isn't necessary. My ignorance of what you came across explains it all. You asked the right questions, and I hope we have given satisfactory answers. Welcome to our family.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 3:14am
@Cretae: you are a "curmudgeon" also!? Whoa
Do we have a group?

PM me.

LOL

Edited by hoserator - 25 Nov 2020 at 3:15am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:09am
I DO believe we have a group! I will get right on that PM. Waaiit for it....

Oops. Keep waiting a bit longer, I need to clean out my Spark!

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 5:10am

LOLLOLLOL
(don't mind us)

brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 11:45am
Hello,
Was wondering if I can ask a quick follow up question.
Are you able to tell me the types of display related ports that will be on this computer?
Looking to run a two monitor setup and assume there will be only one hdmi port so wondering what type of cable I’ll need in addition to an hdmi cable to facilitate two monitors.
Thanks again.
Brian
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 2:37pm
The exact number of ports will vary a bit by video card maker, but all will have at least one Display port, 1 HDMI, and 1 oldie DVI with the multi-prongs. If you bought a monitor not too long ago, it may have come with a display port cable. If you are buying, get a display port 2.0 for the latest, but a 1.4 will do fine.

There are adapters available that can convert one kind to another.
brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 3:25pm
Thanks for the response Cretae
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 3:36am
A pleasure.

We would like to hear back of your experience when you get delivery. It would seem it hasn't come yet, and that's a shame, but it will hopefully be worth the wait.
brirx View Drop Down

Quote brirx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 6:21am
No it hasn’t arrived yet. Last email I got showed it in stage 6 on 12/16.
I checked online and saw this:
View Troubleshoting Flow-Charts

Blue Screens, Crashes, Freezes, Stability Issues. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF file.

� During Game Play
� During Regular (Non-Gaming) Use
Power Up, Boot, Loading Issues. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF file.

� No Video Signal / Monitor Signal
� During Windows Startup

So not sure if those were corrected prior to stage 6 or if those issues are still being resolved.
Dus10 View Drop Down

Quote Dus10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:04pm
Cretae, Great write up! I am in the same boat at this guy. I am dad with the same budget. I really like the 3568015 build. Was that $200 off for black friday? I wanna pull the trigger on that build and was just wondering.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Cretae

Two things you must know. AMD is more advanced than Intel right now. Second, everyone is talking 3080, but it is very hard to get in the market, and it is not at all necessary for a great gaming experience first time out. When he knows more about computers and gaming on them, you can always get a faster card later.

That said, here are a couple of builds in your price range. I used the Lynx case because it comes with RGB fan enhancements built in, and it saves on the case so we can get better parts. To see these builds in the Configurator, go to the main page, upper right: "load Config. Click on that and a new window opens. Copy and paste just the config# in the code window and <enter>.

3568015     $2004 after a $200 discount you'll get at checkout.

This is a very strong build all around at this price point. Computer monitors come in various resolutions. the only two we are interested in are 1080p and 1440p. At 1080p which is a super picture at 24", this rig, with an Nvidia RTX 3070, will crush every game out there on the highest settings and very high framerates. On a larger monitor at 27" or more, you probably would prefer a 1440p resolution. This rig will also perform very, very well on such a monitor. It won't get the fastest frame rates in every game, but it will get very close to or over 100fps in most. It will get well over 100 fps in COD on Ultra. I've seen benchmarks from 125 to over 150fps.

If you simply HAVE to HAVE a 3080, know that it is a total waste of money at 1080p. Know also that the framerate enhancement on a 1440p is in the eye of the beholder and barely noticeable to many. If you don't have two monitors playing the two cards side-by-side, you would never know the difference. You can go online and watch You Tube videos of the two side-by-side, and there's just not that much to see, IMO. so here's a build for that:

3568055       This one is $2152 with discount

Note the second one has come down a notch on the CPU to a 3700X. That is not a crippling performance blow by any means, but it could reduce the longevity of the machine going forward. A lesser CPU could possibly limit your choices for a future video upgrade.

If it were me, I'd have the young man do all his own research on the two cards and what they are capable of. Have him see if he can see the differences in the videos. These cards have taken a mighty leap forward technologically just recently, and the 3070 is faster than the former highest-end Nvidia card just a couple of months ago. As far as I know, they are available now, and there seems to be about a one-two month wait for the 3080s.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:40am
TY. Unfortunately the discounts have gone away.

If you need to save a little, the RTX 3060 Ti is the very powerful price/performance pick for 1080p monitors. Those cards were not out when those builds were recommended.
 Post Reply Post Reply