Daisy chaining monitors using DisplayPort

Post Date: 2024-02-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smfcpa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smfcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Daisy chaining monitors using DisplayPort
    Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 3:27pm
While waiting for my new Aventum computer to arrive, I wanted to see if my old Aventum computer would support DisplayPort Daisy chaining two monitors. My old computer is 4 years old. I have been using dual monitors for a long time. It was very convenient for the work I used to do. I have been retired for 16 years.

You need one monitor that has a DisplayPort input and output jack. I have two new Dell Ultra Sharp 27" 4K monitors that fill the bill. Your video card must also support DisplayPort 1.2 or higher.

I wasn't sure if my old Aventum did so, I thought I would give it a go.   Incidentally the final monitor in your daisy chain doesn't need a DisplayPort output port nor does it need to support DisplaPort 1.2.

So you connect your first monitor to your video card using your DisplayPort output on the video card to the DisplayPort input and connect a DisplayPort cable from the DisplayPort output on that monitor to monitor 2 and like magic, you have dual monitors. You will need to setup the parameters on the two monitors to your liking (i.e., font size, resolution, etc.). The process couldn't have been easier. You don't really reduce clutter, but you have one less wire going into the computer.

Edited by smfcpa - 17 Feb 2024 at 3:29pm
Steve Foulks
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
 Post Reply Post Reply