Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DELL SP2208WFP
    Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 7:47pm
any one have this monitor, tell me how it is and how dell monitors are just in general cant decide betweem samsung t220 and this looking for the best monitor in the 300-400 price range.
warlock View Drop Down

Quote warlock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 10:14pm
i have 2 of them.  personally, i like them a lot.  out of the box, the settings are pretty good, but text can be hard to read until you tweak a few things. 

samsung makes great monitors too, however, so do your research.  i am happy with the dell's though.
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:42am
thanks for your reply I'm almost sure going to get the monitor i was just wondering, if its really worth paying more and stepping up to the 1900 resolution. 
warlock View Drop Down

Quote warlock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 12:52am
That would be a matter of opinion and preference.  A 19" monitor seemed big enough until I got the 22" monitor.  I'm sure there are members on this forum that feel the same about 22" until they got their 24" or 27" or ....

If you want to read up on some user experiences with the Dell monitor, you can do so here....

http://tinyurl.com/5lzjrq

By the way, if you decide on the Dell and can stand to wait, it's worth keeping an eye on their site for a few weeks to see if the price goes down.  I got mine for $290 a couple months ago.  The price fluctuated a lot around that time - usually discounts off the listed price, not a changed price.

Edited by warlock - 16 Jun 2008 at 12:52am
tksuther View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tksuther Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by e.fruman

any one have this monitor, tell me how it is and how dell monitors are just in general cant decide betweem samsung t220 and this looking for the best monitor in the 300-400 price range.

I picked-up a Samsung T220 from Best Buy. I could have purchased online for less but BB has a 30-day return policy and they're close to my house so it made sense. I have a fairly nice-looking home office set-up so this monitor fits-in well and looks awesome. You pay an extra $30 or so for the looks but it was worth it to me. Anyway, aside from looks it performs great! The software is nice too - it allows you to make the same adjustments "on-screen" as you would by using the buttons on the right side of the display. The only negatives are (for me): 1) It's fairly tall with no height adjustment (I'd like to lower it in my case) so I'm getting used to that. 2) There is a little backlight bleed at the top and bottom of the panel when watching a movie (or anytime the edges of the screen are black). It's no big deal to me. And I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but it seems to be diminishing with some use. The lack of height adjustment is a bigger issue for me and that's only because my computer desk has two levels so the monitor sits a little higher than the desk's tabletop workspace. I think I'll get used to it though. While shopping I noticed HP LCDs have a really nice adjustment design but their large LCDs have glossy screens and I wanted a matte screen. Plus the Samsung has 2ms GTG response and I believe the HP is 5ms GTG (though from what I've read the difference is not typically noticable).
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 3:24pm
I Heard the t220 stand is too wobbly and the reason for this dell is i want an hdmi input to play my 360.
tksuther View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tksuther Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 4:22pm

I Heard the t220 stand is too wobbly and the reason for this dell is i want an hdmi input to play my 360.

The stand really isn't bad.  My computer desk is sturdy so it's a non-issue.  The monitor never quivers.  I suppose if you have a potentially wobbly desk, the monitor is at risk as well.  Yeah, HDMI and USB inputs are nice but I really don't need them.  If I did the T220 wouldn't have been a consideration.  I'll use this monitor for a while and see how it does over the next few weeks.  The main thing I need to adjust to is the height.  Anyway, good luck!
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 4:43pm
thanks for the info im still wondering if i should spend a few bucks and lose hdmi but gain 1900 resolutions in the E248WFP or Acer P243WA.
Wallyguitar View Drop Down

Quote Wallyguitar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 4:53pm
I went with two of those Acers to go with my DSO rig.  I haven't seen them in action yet, as I'm still deployed. Shocked  10 days left!!!

Click pic to see config
tksuther View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tksuther Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 5:13pm

thanks for the info im still wondering if i should spend a few bucks and lose hdmi but gain 1900 resolutions in the E248WFP or Acer P243WA.

FWIW, I had a 17" NEC at home (the Sam T220 is at home) and I have a 19" Acer at work.  The T220 dwarfs the 19" Acer and is gargantuan compared to the 17" NEC.  To me 22" is the sweet spot at its native resolution.  I like it much better than the 19" Acer.  I went with Best Buy because of their return policy.  You could try a 22" and if you're not happy, trade-up!  Also, you could get a DVI-D / HDMI splitter............... like this:

http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Prod_Individual3.aspx?groupcode=I3582

I think if I had a 24" monitor I'd be too close and would look like a bobble-head doll looking left, right, up and down to read everything.  Then again, maybe not.
e.fruman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e.fruman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 6:25pm
Yea, Im starting to think that 24" is to big but then again, i want to play games on 1900*1200 so bad but it might not be that much of a step up compared to 1600, can anyone answer?
 Post Reply Post Reply