FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Desktop newbie seeking advice on high end rig

Post Date: 2023-03-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JP$ View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Desktop newbie seeking advice on high end rig
    Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 12:12pm
Budget:
Under $10k

Expectations:
Lots of storage
Very high end graphics and processor
Customizable with new hardware as it is released

Usage:
Gaming

Special Needs:
Most of my modern games are on Steam and I’m thinking will have no problem. But I do like to play old games too (I even have an old laptop with windows 98 on it so I can play some old Jane’s flight sims). I’d like this to be able to run old games using dosbox and other programs in addition to the most modern games.

I haven’t owned a desktop in over 20 years, but have configured and purchased many laptops. I don’t know as much about desktops, their hardware, cooling, future proofing, etc. so please feel free to offer me noob advice. My current build can be found using this number: 4638033

Saved Ticket #: 4638033

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 7:51am
I’m unable to post links for some reason, though I see other users have done it. Maybe it’s because I’m new? Are people able to use my ticket number to see the build?

Is this overkill for my requirements? Also, any advice on fans and motherboard? I don’t know how to choose those.
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 8:18am
I can use the ticket number to see your build, but I have no comments on it. I am sure someone with more knowledge will come along and comment.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 8:27am
Off the top, you should be aware the Aventum weighs over 100 pounds. It's that gigantic. you may want to consider your space, and that it won't be portable at all.

Next, your choices are suitable for a very high-end content creator, editor, studio or engineering monster, not a gaming rig at all. For gaming it contains some parts that will never be of any benefit.

Specifically the CPU has threads and cores that will never be used for gaming and everyday use. 64GB of RAM is not just overkill, in gaming, half of it will be idle all the time.

It's cool you want all that super fast storage, but you don't want that for your boot drive, Lean and mean is the idea for your "C" drive for ease of management, scanning, and routine maintenance like back-ups and cache clean-up.

This is better preserving some of your choices:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4638649

Saves a grand, and upgrades the motherboard to fit the budget. Eliminates the parts you'll never use. I don't recommend you buy all that stoarge at once. It's really easy to add more when you need it, and you may well get better performing parts, With 4.5TB, you won't fill it for maybe a couple of years and you don't need idle parts doing nothing for all that time. Feel free to configure as you wish, but that's my advice.

The 4090 of course, because you want the best. I know the overclock is free, but the 4090 doesn't need the help, and the card doesn't need to run warmer. Nvidia has free software to tinker if you ever think you need to. That's about all DS is gonna do IMHO.

The custom liquid cooling is just for the looks. Total waste of money for this CPU. The Noctua air cooler will keep this proc chilly with nothing that could ever leak or need to be plumbed to repair.

This is what I would get instead:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4638663

Now this case has the window on the right, so the mobo is mounted upside down. That's not as goofy as it sounds because it means the GPU fans point up and out for better overall cooling of everything in the box. If you like it better than the Aventum, but still have to have that cooling loop, get it. It needs maintenance, and you'll need extra coolant, so order some.

If you have question, come back. Oh, yeah, I threw in the fans on the Velox because, why not?   

Edited by Cretae - 06 Mar 2023 at 8:28am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 9:19am

Awesome
Welcome.
Cretae is one of the configurator gurus and he gives you very good recommendations.
That will be a super strong system.
Keep us posted.
Smile
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 8:00pm
Extremely helpful advice. Thanks @Cretae. I did know about the size and weight of the Aventum. I have a space big enough for it, but ultimately I think I will go with a smaller machine because I just don’t want to carry the thing. Especially given your advice on the specs.

I will take a look at your builds and save them. Really appreciate you taking some time to build those out. I’ll let you know what I end up going with.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 5:01am
Thanks to my good friend hoserator for the kind words, and to you as well.

No problem at all here. This is what I do, and I take pleasure in it. Give me a budget, and I can hopefully advise a build that gets maximum performance for every dollar spent. Often the package will save you money as well. You should feel free to modify the suggestions to your heart's content, but know that the base is a strong performer for the $$.

A clarifying comment on the storage. If you have need of it, get it. But imagine asking a 2-3 year old part thats been toasting in quite warm environment for a couple of years to suddenly fire up and run perfectly with it's original lifespan undiminished. A brand new part when needed may not only be more advanced and just better, but is likely to last longer. That's my thinking.   

Edited by Cretae - 07 Mar 2023 at 5:09am
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 5:41pm
Definitely good advice and will consider. I have need of the storage as we have accumulated so many photos and videos of my kids and family (lots of nieces and nephews live close) that I’ve had to buy too many portables and new laptops over the years to store stuff and I’m ready for a one stop shop that I know I won’t fill for a bit.

For your Velox buildout, regarding the fans…the colorful ones that look to me like speakers…are those worth the extra cost? Will they keep the components cooler or are they purely cosmetic?

Also on the motherboard…can you educate me on why the upgrade there is valuable? What is gained by the higher tier motherboards?

Would I use the i7 power if I got that instead of the i9? You recommended i5, but I’m struggling with that (perhaps irrationally) because no laptop I’ve owned since before 2009 has had under an i7. I know that we’re talking apples and oranges here, but still…

Thanks again.

Edited by JP$ - 08 Mar 2023 at 5:49pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 7:54am
Get the storage you need for sure.

1)Pretty much purely cosmetic. If you don't care, don't get
'em
2)It's your budget, and I think we've brought it down over $1000. The upgrade is not necessary, I would be perfectly fine with the Asus Z790 D5, but I don't have any use for the extras offered. Here's a side-by-side comparison to check out:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/ASUS_ROG_MAXIMUS_Z790_HERO_vs_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_Z790-E_vs_ASUS_ROG_STRIX_Z790-F_GAMING/BHitems/1729200-REG_1729201-REG_1730888-REG

A more expensive board will always have more features, more flexibility, and more importantly better heat shielding and thermal management. I didn't go over the comparison, but I did note there is an extra PCIe gen 5 slot for what it's worth. Probably a bit better sound output. Perhaps not worth it, but we might be saving enough money elsewhere to splurge here. With the airflow in the case, heat is not a problem.

3)For gaming, the i7 is a waste of cores and threads that will never come into play. This isn't a standard 6 core i5, The hybrid design has broken new ground for consumer CPUs. There are 14 cores here and 20 vs 12 threads. Turbos up to 5.1 GHz whenever the load might require such speed. That's a number that could only be acheived by very aggressive overclocking just a couple of years ago. With the noctua air cooler, it may rarely break 45C, which is less than half it's safe temp range. It's a low power draw phenom IMHO. Expected lifespan is easily well more than 5 years out. This i5 is actually rated 4% better than last gen's i9 12900K for gaming.

BTW laptop procs are always slower than their desktop counterparts for lower power draw, heat mangement, and maybe even size restrictions. You were right to prefer the i7s. This no laptop.    

Edited by Cretae - 09 Mar 2023 at 7:56am
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 6:41pm
Okay, you’ve convinced me :). I’ll go with the i5. Last question on this though…does this still hold true for VR gaming? I don’t have any VR tech yet but would like to be able to expand my horizons with this machine.

I will definitely also do the Velox. This one just uses fans for cooling and doesn’t mess with all the liquid cooling stuff, right? That’s ideal I think as I’m not really interested in messing with coolant.

I will need to get a good monitor too. Any recommendations? There are two Asus models available from DS, but should I get my own separately?

Edited by JP$ - 09 Mar 2023 at 6:48pm
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 2:40am
Since you're getting the RTX 4090, and you have a large budget, I would highly recommend this enormous gaming monitor:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

It's a 38" ultrawide monitor that's amazing for gaming and productivity. I've had one for a couple of years, and I absolutely love it! Once you've used a 38" monitor you can never go back! Just be sure that you have the desk space for it.

:)

Edited by JamesAstro - 10 Mar 2023 at 12:13pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 8:32am
The i5 13600KF will handle any gaming task. the Velox is the top air-cooled rig here.

If you're not going to spend on a top-end 4k monitor, you are way overspending on your GPU. That's what the 4090 is for. Neither DS offering is 4K.

JamesAstro knows what he's talking about, but that size may or may not be right for you. Online, there is plenty of top 5/top 10 lists and plenty of reviews. the info is out there, so shop around. Google 4k 144fps monitor in the size you think you'd prefer to start, or just go look at JamesAstro's and fall in love. Happy hunting.   
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 1:11pm
@JamesAstro and @Cretae, what do you think of this monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GN950-B-Ultragear-Response-Compatibility/dp/B08BCRYS6B?th=1

I would be able to get that one for free through my work. It is 4K and 144hz, and it's a good size for my home desk.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 1:48pm
That monitor seems to get pretty good reviews here:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn950-b

Heck..if you can get that for free, then I say go for it!

I've never actually tried 4K gaming, and I always wonder if it would improve the appearance of games very much. I know that 4K can make a huge difference when displaying small text (like on web pages, and in productivity apps.) However, I wonder how useful it is for gaming? I'd love to hear your opinion after you try out your new 4K monitor. :)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2023 at 8:11am
Can't beat FREE!!!   

PS: Be sure to use the DisplayPort cable that comes with it to get the high refresh rates!

Edited by Cretae - 11 Mar 2023 at 8:20am
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 6:49pm
Hey all. Just wanted to say I pulled the trigger today on this build. Mostly Cretae’s suggestions but with the generic fans and more storage. 4643898.

Also went with that LG monitor. But I don’t think it comes with a DisplayPort cable…

Really appreciate all the help and advice. Not going to buy this all now (need to earn some money now lol), but at some point will want to expand my set up to include the following:

1. Headset/mic
2. Face Tracking tech (e.g. turn head to view—kinda like VR lite I think)
3. Full blown VR tech

If anyone has suggestions or leads for that tech, feel free to offer some recommendations!

Thank you all.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:44pm
If you're looking for a good headset, you can't go wrong with a wireless headset from SteelSeries. I have their Arctis Pro Wireless headset that was released a few years ago, and I love them. Here is what I like:

• Excellent sound quality
• Surround sound
• Two lithium ion batteries (one in the headset, and one in the charger)
• A separate volume controller that doubles as a battery charger
• Comfortable for long gaming sessions
• A good reputation for quality

They don't make that model anymore, but I hear good things about the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless headset.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-pro-wireless

Edited by JamesAstro - 13 Mar 2023 at 10:46pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 9:54am

Go half way to the bottom of the link JamesAstro posted for that monitor. "In the Box" 1st listing is DisplayPort cable.      
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:59am
Hey hey helpful DS friends. I received my new Velox several weeks ago! 4643898

It's been a challenging start to be honest. It reminds me of the 1990s where I would get a new computer and spend months figuring out all the nuances of getting everything tweaked and working. I don't know if this is a Windows 11 thing? If it's the newness of the hardware? Combination? I haven't had this experience with the laptops I've purchased over the last few decades. Those would usually be just plug and play and everything would work as expected. But then again I was rarely buying this cutting edge of tech.

Anyway, hoping one of you may be able to help me on something. Starting yesterday, my monitor will just go blank. The Velox itself seems to go into some kind of high load mode, because the fans typically go nuts as soon as the monitor goes blank. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. Just sitting, gaming, even booting into the BIOS. After about 5-10 minutes the screen goes blank, enters power saving mode, and I can't do anything to turn it back on. Meanwhile the computer remains on and usually under high load, and I eventually have to hard reboot/restart. The only time the fans didn't go ape$hit is when I entered the BIOS menu, but I still lose the screen after about 5 minutes.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any thoughts on troubleshooting? I contacted DS customer support but no word yet.

Edited by JP$ - 17 May 2023 at 12:00pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2023 at 1:26am
This is new to me. DS systems are plug and play right out of the box unless damaged in shipping. They have the system stress-tested and working perfectly when shipped. They even take photos of inside and out for reference.

Right off the top of my head, if you are able, turn off sleep and hibernate. They are notorious for randomly doing bad things like you describe.

If that doesn't do anything, or if it does, and you're still not pleased, e-mail

[email protected]

Head of customer service, he will refer you to someone who may expedite your issues. This should not be happening to a new system unless it's the sleep/hibernate issue.
Good luck!   
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:43am
Hi @JP$, I would strongly encourage you to work with our support team so they can help you with any questions or issues you have.

I do see that you have a ticket open, the team tried to call you yesterday and left a voicemail. They will try to call you again today.
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:15pm
Thanks Alex and Cretae. I talked to the technician Adam H. today for a couple hours. It appears to be hardware related--something wrong with the GPU itself. Our current "fix" was to "jiggle" the GPU to try and make sure all the copper is aligned. Strangely enough, the black screen hadn't happened when I left my house not too long ago. Hoping that fixes it. But we clearly isolated the cause to the GPU.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2023 at 1:23am
Good news. Fingers crossed.   
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2023 at 9:20am
Wanted to say thanks to everyone for the inputs/attention on this. It's been about a week and the PC seems to be running fine now.

@Alex, I am a bit concerned that just jostling the card in the chassis was enough to fix it. That may be a great sign that it was "fixed" so easily, but I'm paranoid there could be a deeper problem with the hardware. The computer worked for weeks prior to the error occurring and there was no movement that I can identify that would have jostled it loose in the first place. How is a scenario like this handled from a warranty perspective? If several months from now the issue returns, and I can't repeat the same fix, what would that mean as far as replacement goes?
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2023 at 11:43am
GPUs have become so large and heavy that I fully anticipated seeing problems start to rise with GPUs becoming "unseated". Some builders and GPU manufacturers now offer supports (bracing) for exactly this reason.

Removing and re-seating the GPU is one of the first steps one takes in trouble shooting video issues. If the problem has been gone for one week, I personally would not be worried about other "deeper problems". I would officially chalk it up to a GPU becoming unseated.
Old Gamers Never Die!
JP$ View Drop Down

Quote JP$ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:50am
Thanks @fwfdfireman
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:52am
You betcha! But, as you, I would still be eyeing my PC for awhile. It's just the way it is when you spend that much money on a PC. Best of luck.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 May 2023 at 8:56am
I would not worry, we're always here to help if you run into any problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply