Post Date: 2014-04-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Devil's Canyon & Haswell Refresh
    Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 8:07am
It looks like the Intel Haswell refresh will have a May 11th ship date and the Devil's Canyon unlocked CPU's will be June 2nd.  Then finally I'll place my order - lol!!

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014042101_Intel_Devil_s_Canyon_unlocked_CPUs_to_launch_on_June_2.html

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 8:18am
Awesome  Be interesting to see if the improved TIM does allow for easier, higher overclock. 

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 8:30am
From everything they're saying, it should.  I was just reading another article which stated: 
"Devil’s Canyon along with Pentium Unlocked Processors will be coming in June 2 ( redundancy? ). Devil’s Canyon will feature improved TIM and will actually be a true upgrade as compared to the above mentioned processors which are basically just architectural improvements and about 100 – 200 Mhz frequency bumps. The Core i7-4790K will be the flagship processor of the Haswell Refresh lineup and the first 22nm consumer CPU to obtain clock frequency of 4 GHz. It will feature 4 cores and 8 threads along with a fully unlocked design which will allow users to overclock the chip past the limits thanks to the improved thermal design and updated package materials.

Intel seems to finally be fixing the heatsink issue faced on Ivy Bridge and Haswell once and for all with their upcoming Haswell Refresh processors. Featuring an improved design that incorporates updated packaging materials, improved TIM (Thermal Interface) and processors that are specifically re-engineered for enhanced performance and overclocking. So many users who have been waiting for Intel to update their TIM design since Ivy Bridge can now check out the new processors for their overclocking needs.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-devil-s-canyon-launching-june-2014/#ixzz2zivLEbDV

So it seems like a real upgrade which is cool but I'm sure it'll be pricey.  Couple that with the new 780Ti 6 GB video cards coming out around then and it looks like a good time to buy and I'll finally pull the trigger on a new rig (although no Haf-X case anymore Cry).
"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 8:33am
Special Order the HafX case.  Drooling   Don't let 'the Man' win.   HahahaLOL

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:45am
I was thinking of potentially special ordering although I'm not thrilled about it.  If I special order, are there better cases for air cooling around the same price range?  I was looking at the NZT Phantom 820 as a possible option too.  
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 11:59am
With its 3x 200mm fans, the 820 has very good reviews, compared very well to the HafX,  and should work fine for max air cooling.  For me, large slow moving fans for airflow and low noise and especially a side 200mm fan, is what makes for a good case.   Feeding the cards and cooler from the side with fresh air works.  

Most cases today, even without the side fan,  work with modern cards that exit the heat out the back.  Its when the dual fan ACX cards in sli are used that heat issues might come up. 

It comes down to looks with some of the better cases. 
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

I was thinking of potentially special ordering although I'm not thrilled about it.  If I special order, are there better cases for air cooling around the same price range?  I was looking at the NZT Phantom 820 as a possible option too.  

The 820 is going to be my next case when i buy my next computer sometime in the near future. I love the design of the case and everything.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 1:33pm
It is a nice case Arkansas.  I like the Haf-X too.  I'm not sure really which I'd choose at this point though I like that you can add a fan by the GPUs in the Haf-X (especially if one goes with the ACX cards).  I think looks wise they are both nice but the Phantom may be a bit more 'stylish'.  I'm still looking for other cases that may be appealing also in case I do go the special order route...
 Post Reply Post Reply