Diablo III announced!

Post Date: 2008-06-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skyR View Drop Down
Digital Storm Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Diablo III announced!
    Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 6:50am

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

The game will have FIVE classes just like Diablo 2. They have announced the Barbarian and Witch Doctor, leaving us to guess the remaining three.

Previous classes from Diablo 2 that might not make an appearance in Diablo 3: Paladin, Amazon, Assassin, Sorcerer, Necromancer, Druid

THIS GAME REMAINS ON BNET.

Edited by skyR - 28 Jun 2008 at 8:18am
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
skyR View Drop Down
Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 10:09am
Diablo 3's Developer Panel

- Epic heroes - This is the principle of making insanely powerful characters. The point of RPG's has to be the attraction to different identities, and we wouldn't want to pretend to be something weaker than ourselves - we want to feel exaggerated and supernatural, and the only genre that provides this sensation is the RPG genre, and Diablo III is going to further exaggerate the power you wield when you play the games.

- Approachable - Diablo III is meant to be easily used. Isometric gameplay is a must for the series. The difficulty of the game is also varied between tiers and within each tier, so every player can feel at home.

- Cooperative play - Diablo III will continue the tradition of competitive/cooperative gameplay. Battle.net will find new platforms in Starcraft 2 and Diablo III - so Diablo III will be very supportive of team-based play.

- Action - Blizzard wants to exercise the sensations of great action gaming - cooler monsters, cooler animations, cooler abilities. A new feature in Diablo III is the inclusion of the hotbar - this is the big thing missing from the previous two that might have over-simplified the combat into potion-mashing survival-fests. The hotbar should be familiar to WoW players - it gives them quicker access to combat abilities that take the place of potion spam and make the combat more interesting. Potions are still there, though; you will get thirsty.

- Little Downtime - They admit being inspired by the Halo shield-regeneration system - but they went for something different, since even that quick-regeneration meant that the player would incur some downtime.

- Difficulty - They also seem to want to emphasize the challenge in front of achievements. The challenge should scale with the reward, just as it does in WoW.

- Monsters - The devs want to diversify the monster population. We know that they're fans of the "change its color, it's totally different" tactic, but hopefully they'll feel inclined to be more creative - and it definitely seems that they do. They also explain that there is almost an element of monster teamwork - tanks, healers, and damage dealers, effectively. It should be a funky role-reversal.

- Story - The story will be the driving force behind the progression of the game. Their intention is for players to be faced with the story at every turn, rather than finding their own motivations and sort of blindly flying through the experience.

- More on random scripted events - They seem pretty excited by this feature, and it sounds like an endless source of replayability. This means that along with the dynamic generation of terrain and monsters, there will be randomly placed scripted events and encounters; that means that you will almost certainly be faced with new challenges every time you play it through.

- Final notes - Stay true to the universe. Loyalty is a pervasive virtue, and Blizzard takes it seriously, and I agree with them - we want more of what we love, and it would be a huge and difficult task for them to make something completely new for us to fall in love with all over again.

Q&A

Group size? It's not a technical restriction. They consider it in terms of gameplay, and they think that small groups function better within the game (inside the UI and with regards to abilities).

Inventory size? They didn't specify size, but they say that there are going to be improvements to the inventory "system". It won't be a grid-based inventory system, either.

Trying to attract devout Blizzard players from other games? Not really, no. It is made to be a continuation of the Diablo series, so the people who loved that game specifically (not necessarily admirers of WoW or Starcraft) will be catered to. Rightly so - they're different experiences.

Classes? The new one is the Witch-Doctor. They're essentially doing a fresh start with the other classes; they don't seem to have anywhere near a final round-up of classes, and they seem intent on making as many as they see fit for the experience.

Alternate resource-systems? All mana? Dunno, maybe.

Hardcore mode? They haven't decided on it, but they don't seem to be too resistant to the idea.

Loot changes? In groups, it used to be connection-oriented (grab whatever drops on the ground and go) - the loot will drop for each player individually in Diablo 3.

Skill tree respeccing? Well, they don't want to talk about talents - but they want to give some sort of opportunity for respec.

Witch Doctor v. Necromancer? The devs see these two classes as totally different, so they could both exist in the same game, potentially.

Gear system? The gear system isn't going to be drastically changed, since they consider it a core attribute of the Diablo series.

Cheats? No specifics, but the new battle.net (the one that will include Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3) will have a much thicker wall of security. I believe that.

Super secret stuff? That's super secret.

Single player v. Cooperative content? There is no item that drops specifically in cooperative play or in single-player play. That means that the game can be finished using either play style.

Male vs. Female attributes? They will be the same (just different skins for the same class).

System requirements? Uknown, but they intend to make it technologically accessible for the times. Highly technological games aren't their focus, so it's more than likely that the current tier of technology will be able to handle it at any level.

Map editor? The series isn't very "nice" to mod development, but they haven't decided anything yet.

Rune words? No comment.

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 10:13am
i have to say i wasnt too impressed with the trailer. visually the game looks very good, plenty of flare and eye candy. but for a first impression trailer it was sort of monotonus Confused
never been a big diablo player so ill be interested to see what the fans of the past 2 games think of this release
skyR View Drop Down
Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 10:16am
I'm deleting everything in life for Diablo 3 if they include a hardcore ladder.
Maestro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Maestro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 11:10am
Originally posted by !ender_

i have to say i wasnt too impressed with the trailer. visually the game looks very good, plenty of flare and eye candy. but for a first impression trailer it was sort of monotonus Confused
never been a big diablo player so ill be interested to see what the fans of the past 2 games think of this release

Diablo 1 and 2's trailers both sucked. I don't know why they do that.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:02pm
i think its especially wierd considering how "wowing" the wow trailer is. the one included before the original game... i love that thing. i mean yea its a little hype-ish and exaggerated but its damn good and really grabs your attention
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:27pm
sweet, lets hope they dont screw it up like they did with D2:LoD by making uniques the best items. When rares ruled in D2 everybody was unique looking, after LoD everybody used the same items, it sucked.

Anyways, it looks nice, hopefully they do a great job on it.
[email protected] 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
skyR View Drop Down
Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:29pm
The ESCT WoW teaser was absolutely f***ing terrible compared to the Diablo 3 teaser at WWI.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 12:36pm
I just watched the gameplay, pretty nice, though i hope they get rid of the bodies disappearing after a few seconds effect. I always hate in this day of age that they still make games where the bodies dissolve, they should stay at the very least on the screen till you move off screen.

ya im picky haha....
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
Deathwest View Drop Down

Quote Deathwest Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 5:25pm
I only hope the Paladin is one of the 5 char.Approve
Some old men buy Cars, some old men buy Motorcycle.
This old man Bought a Computer!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 7:25pm
Id say the necro was replaced by the witch doctor.
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
VIDAR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote VIDAR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 12:32am
Blizzard has never made a bad game, so this 2 will rock.  Whats their stock symbol? I think its time to buyThumbs%20Up
skyR View Drop Down
Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 1:25am
Originally posted by VIDAR

Blizzard has never made a bad game, so this 2 will rock.  Whats their stock symbol? I think its time to buyThumbs%20Up

Activision Blizzard (NSDQ: ATVI)
VIDAR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote VIDAR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 2:17am
thks

shaba_levi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shaba_levi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 1:30pm
my god......WHAT HAVE WE BECOME!!!

lol, this game is goona be sweet, i cant wait!
DS Rig:
750W PS
Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
Nvidia 780i 1333FSB
4G DDR2 800MHz
750G HDD1
320G HDD2
GeForce 9800GTX 512Mb
HT Omega Claro+
Vista Premiumx64
Rolet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Rolet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 2:39pm
Anyone started playing D2 again after this announcement? LOL
skyR View Drop Down
Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 2:39pm
yep, purchased it digitally a long with others. unfortunately my old d2 acct got deleted for inactivity.

Edited by skyR - 29 Jun 2008 at 2:40pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 6:12pm
I played it off and on again this year. especially after the last ladder reset. I had fun making a skelly necro, but by the time you get late nightmare its harder then anything. And fighting bosses is next to impossible because your skeletons all die in one hit hahaha.....

I used to have the generic zeal pally with huge life leech and the sazabi set, which gave huge leech bonuses and 27% more total life or something like that....i pumped like almost all my points just in stamina haha...it was funny, i couldnt do sh*t damage but nothing could kill me.....except thorns..haha.
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Asus Xonar 7.1
ArmourBrad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ArmourBrad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 9:46pm
I agree on the "deleting my life for D3" comment.

IMO d2 was more fun that WoW with 1/100th the heartbreak. Diablo's are more laid back, less hassle and you can play for 30mins and actually accomplish something.

I absolutely cannot wait!
bjt
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 7:49pm
EMAIL & MSN:
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply