FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did I make a mistake?

Post Date: 2019-10-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ShrikeArghast View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Did I make a mistake?
    Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 5:46pm
I just today ordered a PC with an i7-9700k because most of the initial stuff I read stated that the overclocking potential of the i7 rendered it a stronger gaming cpu. However, after reading a few more articles, should I have gotten the Ryzen 7 3700x to "futureproof?"

I don't upgrade PCs - I buy new and then 5-7 years later dump and buy again. So there's little chance of me suddenly switching out the i7 and the mobo for an alternative if 8 threads become a choke point.

Did I mess up?

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 6:07pm
This is the build btw.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s)

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 7:03pm
Apparently I did definitely make a mistake. I had no idea that was a micro motherboard. They're going to hit me with a 4 percent fee to make the change. Christ, I am so lousy at this :(.

Edited by ShrikeArghast - 02 Oct 2019 at 7:04pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 11:31pm
I'm confused a bit. Is your build NOW with the MSI Gaming Plus after the change? Because the Gaming EDGE is the micro board.

At any rate, you needn't worry too much about your choice of the 9700K. The boost clock leaves the Ryzen part in the dust, and DS doesn't overclock the AMD chips. Thus, the potential for the 9700k is even greater if you just get the free level 1 OC. To this date, gaming does not make any use of extra threads, and 8 cores is more than required. Gaming performance of the 9700k is so close to the 9900k, it's an obvious bargain choice that gives you great upside for the future, IMO.

First I ever heard of a premium for changing a part. Is it because your build is so far along they had to rebuild? Because you'd be better off with $11 more for the Corsair Vengeance RAM for a lifetime warranty. Your primary drive is a SATA SSD when you could be getting one of the M.2 NVMe units for 5x faster performance. (PCIe bus vs SATA). If it's not too late, I'd advise you get a Samsung M.2 for primary drive, and buy the big SATA SSD later online.

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 2:36am
Is the gaming plus going to be okay, or do I need to swap it for a MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC? (Sorry for the caps; it's a copy/paste).

I am going to try to make the other changes you mentioned when they open tomorrow. My build has been at stage 1 for 4 weeks because the original CPU I had selected was (and is) backordered. I finally requested a change-out yesterday. I hate pestering the lady at the front desk with alterations because she seems a bit overworked, but I don't want to get this wrong.

Edited by ShrikeArghast - 03 Oct 2019 at 3:06am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 5:41am
If you're okay on budget, the Pro Carbon is the one I would recommend. It is the least expensive one with built-in Wi-Fi, but the middle ground ROG Strix is a very good board, if you don't need that. A better board goes beyond minimum features and OC's better.

If you're still Stage 1, you should be free to change parts at will. Something's not right about a charge when they haven't even binned your parts according to stages. I would e-mail

[email protected]

for an answer on that and any other questions you may have. He'll tell you straight. Good luck with all this.

Almost forgot. That's a kick-a** GPU as is, runs hot as is, don't overclock it. Too mild to do much except stress your card. You can pretty easily do it yourself if you ever think it's necessary.

Edited by Cretae - 03 Oct 2019 at 5:48am

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:51am
Okay, thank you for all the help. I will call and hopefully get this all cleaned up when they open at 9.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 5:36pm
I agree. You should not be getting an additional charge for config changes if you are only in Stage 1.

I made a change at Stage 2 on my RAM and did not get charged extra.

Definitely call them on that.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 3:46am
I certainly hope all goes well for you. I try my best to help folks get the best price/performance they can without waste. My pleasure to help.

Quote ShrikeArghast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:08pm
For people who were at all curious, this was the final loadout:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA 850 GQ (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
 Post Reply Post Reply