FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Difference Between a workstation and Gaming PC

Post Date: 2011-12-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
e11eventoes View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote e11eventoes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Difference Between a workstation and Gaming PC
    Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:04am
Ok maybe I'll ask this differently and hopefully get a reply. What's the difference between a workstation and gaming pc? If I were to get a decent gaming system, shouldn't it also be a decent workstation (for video/graphics/3d modeling). I'm looking to get an ODE level 2 or 3. Or should I be looking to get a workstation and then play games on them?
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:32am
Workstations for things like3D Modeling, video editing/rendering and other related things require more CPU power and more RAM then a gaming rig. The additional CPU power and RAM will often be lost on games and you won't see an increase in the quality of your game play until the games advance far enough to need those extra resources.

A workstation as you call it will benefit more from the X79 platform and the 3930 and 3960 I7 extreme CPUs and 16GB or more of RAM. Games do not require either of those things, with the exception being a rig that requires x3 SLI for large resolution and or multi-monitor gaming.

It's that resolution that determines what hardware you need for gaming. For a 1920x1080 single monitor a set up x2 570 SLI, with a 2600K i7 and 8GB of RAM will crush almost any game you can throw at it. Not all games even support multicore CPUs correctly and even less will even use the hyper-threading. The 2600k is still better then the 2500k though since Windows does use that HT but you don't need a 6+6 core CPU for your daily use (web/e-mail) or gaming.

If you need a work station, build a work station. So long as you are using the correct GPU(s) the work station will do very well playing games but something like an ODE2 or even 3 will not necessarily work well as a work station.

Edited by jmaster299 - 08 Dec 2011 at 11:33am

Quote e11eventoes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
man, really good insights and great information!! thank you so much. Yea, I'd probably do more gaming than working but then again I'd love to have one machine that can do both. this is tough. I wonder if there's an in between computer that I can build that would meet both criteria. I only have a budget of 2000, I'll have to do some more research then. thank you again!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:12pm
Glad to see that you got some great advice.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:16pm
For 2k you will want to avoid the X79 platform and the Sandybridge-e CPUs as those things alone will add several hundred dollars. Also I would recommend against the ODE at that price as it has less ability to be upgraded later on with out major changes as it's MOBO does not support SLI. It's case is also some what small and for an SLI set up you will want better air flow.

The need for SLI is again based on the resolution you will be playing at. If you are using a 1280x1024 monitor, and do not plan to upgrade to a better one, then SLI will not be needed. But even at resloutions that are considered low, like 1680x1050, SLI can be a boost for some games.

That's the resolution I am currently playing at, until I buy a new monitor, and my single 570 can not handle Arkham City with the Physx turned on. I tried lowering all the other settings but it's the Physx that would cause me to drop to single digit frame rates during some fights. As soon as I turned it off I was fine.

I am upgrading to the 2.5GB 570 that I have listed in my signature to try and help it perform better. BF3 runs ok at high settings but I still get a frame rate loss during fast action sequences.

Now all of this only applies to something you want to use for both gaming and work. A real work stations is fairly different then a normal computer or gaming computer. A work station uses different graphics cards that are designed to help with actual CPU processing. In a gaming rig the GPU does a lot of the work required for the game but it will not do anything for processing things like the special work station GPUs do.

A gaming rig will not be as good as a real work station system built to specifically render and process things like video but it will do better at actually playing games.

Edited by jmaster299 - 08 Dec 2011 at 1:34pm

Quote e11eventoes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:44pm
yea i've thought about it a bit. i think if i spend the 2000, it'll have to be a gaming pc. I'll probably have this thing in my living room hooked up to my lcd then. I'm looking to run at 1920x1080. Since this is the case will the ODE 2 work for me then? if not, i'll try and put together a system and post it on here before making a final decision. i'll take as much advice as i can. jmaster, you've been very helpful.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 2:20pm
You will need at least x2 GTX 570 SLI to max out some games at 1920x1080, BF3 for example. TVs also make for very bad monitors as they are not as good and have frame rate limitations of usually 30fps depending on the model. A custom system will allow you to go with a single 570 for right now due to your budget but you will be able to add a second 570 later.

With an ODE lvl 2 you will not be able to add a second card with out replacing the MOBO.

Edited by jmaster299 - 08 Dec 2011 at 3:16pm

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 3:36pm
Just to add, workstation is basically for powerusers, they use different kind of ram, normally you see quadro gpus in there which are very expensive and work horses but not great for gaming.

if you are a poweruser that has nees more for cpu then gpus like me, then you can have best of both worlds, you get the x79 platform with 6 core cpu and then for gpus you get what you need for gaming, for res under 1900 x 1200 you don't need sli, for 1900 x 1200 sli 570 is the sweet spot, for higher then 2560 x 1600 sli 570 2.5GB with option to go tri sli.

for your budget, what you can do is get a system that has one 570 but can do sli:

Here you go Ticket# 629576 --- $2,099 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (Model: Blue Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA Edition)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

Ask for vcore lower then 1.4 for your oc.

you add ssd and another 570 later to complete the system.

the res jm299 pretty much covered for you.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:14pm
Well as I pointed out DST I am running into games that are not being handled by my single 570 at only 1680x1050. Like I mentioned I can not use the DX11 tessellation at all in Arkham City even with the other settings turned down. If I turn the tessellation off I can run everything on High, including AA, with no issue.

The issue I was having is any time I would turn or change my camera angle, something you are doing a lot of in that game moving and looking around, my frame rates would plummet and go really slow. In fights, especially ones against multiple enemies, my FPS would drop and it slowed my reactions to be able to dodge and counter correctly. In the first "Joker" fight called Ghost Train I stayed around 5 FPS, which is unplayable.

At that point I had already tried turning everything else down to keep the tessellation but it did not work. As I mentioned before as soon as I turned that off I put everything else on High and I was just fine. For reference this was happening both before and after the DX11 updates that were applied yesterday for Arkham City.

Per the review post by DS, and other sources, a single 570 should be able to handle BF3 on High settings at 1680x1050 but I have found that not to be the situation either. While it does run well I still get sub 30fps during some fire fights and that's just the single player campaign so there no multiplayer or server issue that could be affecting my frame rates.

So it would seem that a single 570 is not enough for some games even at a resolution below 1920x1080.

Edited by jmaster299 - 08 Dec 2011 at 4:16pm

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:21pm
Yes you are right but there are very few games, that need sli for 570, most games don't.

either way that is whay I always recommend a system that has one gpu but supports 2, so either way you are covered.

I have not had a chance to play bf3 myself yet so I can't speak for its performance.

do you notice it when you hit 30fps in bf3 or is it a split second thing that not really noticeable?

Quote e11eventoes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:02pm
Oh man! DST4ME, you guys are awesome! thanks for putting that together. man, definitely makes life easier for me!!  

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:07pm
DST, I agree with going with 1 GPU for now and SLI later due to the budget issues, it's what I had to do myself. I was merely pointing that SLI is still needed for some games even when the resolution is less then 1920x1080.

Again BF3 no too bad with High settings. I don't stay below 30fps for very long but it can happen several times during a big/fast fire fight. It's Arkham City that is giving me the most issues. All my other games like Portal 2 and TF2 I can max out and never drop below 60fps in V-sync.

Quote e11eventoes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:35pm
jmaster, so with the rig DST set up for me would I be able to play BF3 at highest settings, 1920x1080 and stay and not drop below 30fps? that'll be the first game i pick up for it. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:47pm
For bf3 and 1900 x 1200 res and max settings you need sli 570 right off the bat.

if you want to see what folk are getting in bf3 and their cards look here, I asked people to post their settings and fps and res, you get a good idea of what you need to do what.

@jm299, lot of people don't care too much about the physx, like you said it comes down to wanting to spend $350 extra to have the physx on or not, most don't have it on. btw can you checkout the mentioned thread and tell me if you are getting the same results others are, I'm beginning to think something is not right, unless I'm missing something.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Dec 2011 at 3:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply