FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

difference between buying here and building?

Post Date: 2015-05-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kibcob View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kibcob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: difference between buying here and building?
    Posted: 15 May 2015 at 9:59pm
I've been wondering about buying the Aventum 2, and I wondered what the difference of buying it from here versus building it. Building it costs significantly less, so I was wondering what the benefit here would be.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2015 at 12:36am
Well, first thing is the case. The Aventum II, soon to be III, is Digital Storm's proprietary case, so you very probably won't find it on the open market.

2nd, is the build quality. While I'm sure that you have major skills in building your own machine, I can guarantee that the folks who would put your machine together have built a few (hundred) more than you have... each.

3rd is Parts. Digital Storm has already tested each and every part on the configurator to make sure that the parts they put together on the machine work perfectly with all of the other parts. If you mess up on the configurator and get incompatible pieces and parts, they will absolutely walk you through to the right parts for your situation.

4th is parts again... only this time each and every part is guaranteed to work before the machine gets to you. No RMAs, no waiting for one piece to go back and forth to the manufacturer while the rest of the computer is just sitting on your desk. They put the machine together and stress test the bejesus out of it to make sure it works, and works above and beyond your expectations. When they are done stress testing it, they catalog, file and photograph your machine and all the benchmarks, bios settings and overclocks that make that machine the best it can be.

5th returns. Yea, things break in shipping. That's a given. DS will work with you to make sure that the machine you pay for is the machine you get. Even if they have to replace a GPU because some gorilla handed freight handler dropped the machine on the corner of the box and jarred something loose.

6th Customer service. DS is a family. They don't care about just one sale. If you buy a computer and it works, and works well for you, and you feel that you've received value for your money, they are counting on you to bring your friends into the family. Their interest is not in one-off sales... they want customers who believe in what they do as much as they believe it themselves.

So, you want to build it yourself? Fine, help yourself, please be my guest and I really hope you enjoy the challenge and can get a sense of pride in accomplishing your goal of looking a machine and saying, "That's mine. I did it. I made that and it's glorious"

But when you're ready to allow someone else to make the best THEY can make, with years of practice, pieces that fit together correctly, and works the first time, without hours and hours of planning, tweaking, adjusting, sweating details... something you can look at and say, "I deserve the best I can get" you'll come to Digital Storm.

Does it cost significantly less? Probably. But, remember the old adage:

"You get what you pay for."

Peace.
kibcob View Drop Down

Quote kibcob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2015 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Snaike

Well, first thing is the case. The Aventum II, soon to be III, is Digital Storm's proprietary case, so you very probably won't find it on the open market.

2nd, is the build quality. While I'm sure that you have major skills in building your own machine, I can guarantee that the folks who would put your machine together have built a few (hundred) more than you have... each.

3rd is Parts. Digital Storm has already tested each and every part on the configurator to make sure that the parts they put together on the machine work perfectly with all of the other parts. If you mess up on the configurator and get incompatible pieces and parts, they will absolutely walk you through to the right parts for your situation.

4th is parts again... only this time each and every part is guaranteed to work before the machine gets to you. No RMAs, no waiting for one piece to go back and forth to the manufacturer while the rest of the computer is just sitting on your desk. They put the machine together and stress test the bejesus out of it to make sure it works, and works above and beyond your expectations. When they are done stress testing it, they catalog, file and photograph your machine and all the benchmarks, bios settings and overclocks that make that machine the best it can be.

5th returns. Yea, things break in shipping. That's a given. DS will work with you to make sure that the machine you pay for is the machine you get. Even if they have to replace a GPU because some gorilla handed freight handler dropped the machine on the corner of the box and jarred something loose.

6th Customer service. DS is a family. They don't care about just one sale. If you buy a computer and it works, and works well for you, and you feel that you've received value for your money, they are counting on you to bring your friends into the family. Their interest is not in one-off sales... they want customers who believe in what they do as much as they believe it themselves.

So, you want to build it yourself? Fine, help yourself, please be my guest and I really hope you enjoy the challenge and can get a sense of pride in accomplishing your goal of looking a machine and saying, "That's mine. I did it. I made that and it's glorious"

But when you're ready to allow someone else to make the best THEY can make, with years of practice, pieces that fit together correctly, and works the first time, without hours and hours of planning, tweaking, adjusting, sweating details... something you can look at and say, "I deserve the best I can get" you'll come to Digital Storm.

Does it cost significantly less? Probably. But, remember the old adage:

"You get what you pay for."

Peace.

Thanks for the reply! I think I might actually go for these guys instead, since they also have a warranty, custom jobs, and high experience in the market. They seem interactive with their customers and really care about them and their products.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 May 2015 at 10:07am
Originally posted by kibcob

..They seem interactive with their customers and really care about them and their products.
This is so very true.

This is also why the BBB gives them an A+ rating.

forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 10:54pm
If you build it yourself, you must troubleshoot any problems that might occur.  If you cannot find/fix the problem, you must pay the GeekSquad to come out to your house at $150/hour (not sure what it now ....)

If you buy from DS, you also must troubleshoot any problems that might occur.  If you cannot fix the problem, you make a quick call to DS Customer Support.  And they get you back up in running Very Quickly.

I have had to call Customer Support twice about minor things which were fixed right away.  They called me back in less than 30 minutes and fixed the problem.

Customer Support troubleshooting is an important consideration, too. 
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:38am
And don't forget this forum, where a lot of issue are resolved by the very knowledgeable people here. I have looked at other pc maker's forums, if they even have one, and this one is one of the, if not the most lively one. Look at the posting dates and times. Strong

I have an Aventum II and I am very happy with it. Every game I play is maxed out. Very quiet and cool.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 20 May 2015 at 2:44am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:47am
+1 to hoserator post.   The forums were the deciding factor for me 4 years ago and its still a great source of info.
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 7:52am
Yes and this forum has bprat - the super human cruise director of the forums!!  LOL
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:19am
Our very own Julie McCoy.. now all we need is Isaac the bartender, Gopher and Doc Bricker.

We should start calling Alex Capt Stubing, although I think Alex has more hair.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:26am
LOL               Looks like a DS cruise could shape up at some point.     Hahaha

Edited by bprat22 - 20 May 2015 at 10:26am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 3:22pm
kibcob View Drop Down

Quote kibcob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:49pm
I wish i could afford an aventum II though i'm working up for the money, and I plan on getting ultimate edition!
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:06am

You pay for the warranty, and in some cases the Digital Storm case

You pay for them putting it together rather that you. The markup adds up, you can work it out to some extent ( but have to guess on their case value.)

They do stand behind their product

In my case, I could have done a better job on the build. Multiple build errors, and then I ended up with some bad fans. As many people seem happy, I perhaps just got unlucky. In their favor, wiring was pretty well done and neat, they responded quickly to issues and the case is great.

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 Post Reply Post Reply