Digital Storm Home office computers?

Post Date: 2009-02-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
paintballakid5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote paintballakid5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm Home office computers?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 1:02am
So my Dad has had an HP for about 2 years and it worked ok for about the 1st year, and now it's really slow, and he hates it! and he knows about Digital storms awesome warranty and care services. and he was wondering whether or not Digital storm was going was going to release home office computers? because he can't afford a computer worth $1,800 but he could probably afford a computer like $500-$600 does anybody know if Digital storm is gonna get theyre home office computers going again?Cry

Thanks!Embarrassed
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 4:40am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote paintballakid5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 10:55am
oh wow, how did you find theyre old site? lol

Thanks dude i'll have my dad take a look into thisOuch

Star
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 12:52pm
Sorry but, as of right now, our focus is not on home/office desktop systems.

The margins on that type of hardware are razor thin, and we don't want to offer sub-par product with ineffective customer support.

Perhaps down the road, we will look into this, but, not soon.

Warm Regards,
Alex
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 12:07am
Originally posted by paintballakid5

So my Dad has had an HP for about 2 years and it worked ok for about the 1st year, and now it's really slow, and he hates it!

You didn't mention what kind of HP it was, but if it ran acceptably a year ago it shouldn't be a horrible performer now. You and your dad should try doing some basic maintenance on this machine. Check for spyware and reload the OS if you have to in order to get rid of it. Clean the Registry. Defrag the hard drive and check for excessive retries. All are prime causes of computer slow downs. If you don't know how to do this or don't want to know, cross you fingers and take the machine to a local computer tune up place like Staples. It will be a lot cheaper than a new computer.

I use my Digital Storm computer for business and gaming. After almost a year and a half, I'm still completely happy with it. But it's had a disk drive replaced and the OS wiped and reloaded more times than I can count
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 2:59am
ud probly have to build it yourself, not a hard task but RMAing bad parts could be annoying xD
Groupie
Groupie

Quote paintballakid5 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 2:54am
I've tried talking him into reformatting the HDD but i don't think he'll do that... but i know how to clean the regristry, reformatt, defrag, etc. but it's him whos standing in the way lol... i'll see what i can scrounge up.. thanks guys!Ouch
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 11:37pm
Angry
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 1:37pm
It's unfortunate that it's literally impossible to spend under $1000 and get a guaranteed solid computer. Mind you I'm not saying "solid" is running the latest FPSs above 40fps, I mean solid as in quality parts, snappy multi-tasking and casual gaming when you feel like it.

You can find 'reasonable' temptations with HP, but even with them it's not even possible to get a solid computer at "$500-$600". The cheapest computer that has 4gigs of ram, a pre-i7 entry level quad core and a 256mb GPU...starts at $800 after discounts and before any upgrades.

Then ofcourse it'll cost you another $280 just to extend the warantee to 3 years.

This is the same line of thought I considered before I decided to 'splurge' and by a $2800 computer from DSO. Sure I could stay cheap an spend ~$1400 on something from HP or what not and barely meet my gaming needs...but in 2-3 year's time it would be running ragged, unable to run current games and severely limited in upgrade options...forcing me to spend another $1400 on another sub-par computer experience. I'll just take the DSO rig, be very happy with gaming performance for a long time and have the freedom to upgrade and OC as I please.

DSO rocks! Ermm Accept no imitations! -> Tongue

Edited by Hammer - 28 Apr 2009 at 1:38pm
"It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer."
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:39pm
Wow, this thread's been around for a while.

Actually, I just had built a home office machine because I couldn't seem to buy one. I couldn't stand any of the "big box" store computers. I'll never own a Dell, and I couldn't configure a DS machine for less than $1200. I wound up buying a box of parts from Newegg and screwing it together myself in an afternoon. This is no high tech dream machine (3 MHz core 2 duo, 4G DDR2, GTS 250 video, cheap mobo can't SLI) but it was only about $800 and it will play Crysis. This was a dirt simple machine. I can understand why DSO can't service this market. For anything fancier, I'll be coming back to DSO.

Edited by Bill the Cat - 28 Apr 2009 at 10:44pm
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 7:50am
Well, thier warantee and customer service for one. DSO doesn't charge extra for this, but it does have a 'worth'. When you consider that a simular 3 year warantee from HP costs another $280...and that customer service is out-sourced to another country...you'll see that the main way DSO can swing this great coverage is the high cost of thier computers. Then there's the person QC process we all get, which is just about unheard of. And ofcourse the most attractive coverage to me, the warantee covers OCing.

So you're left with a problem of profit and coverage; either you do choose to sell $800 computers and reduce your coverage, or charge extra for it (which can cast a negative shadow on the whole company) or you instead choose to only make $1500+ computers only.

There's also the logistical concerns as well. DSO would have to order completely different parts ( processors, Mobos, ram, PSUs and cases ) that they don't currently carry.

And then there's the 'you get what you pay for' aspect. These aren't neccessarily POS parts, but they are cheaper and often older technology. This could make covering them under DSO's warantee even harder. DSO sells topshelf, premium parts and that's important to consider when you ask how they can offer a warantee package that makes Big Box companies shudder.

But these are just my points of view.Hug
"It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer."
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 10:25am
I agree with everything you said.

If my new "business" machine wasn't based on cheap year old technology, I would not have chanced building it myself. But, the parts are inexpensive (not POS) and there's nothing tricky about the configuration or assembly. If I had accidently destroyed any component during the build, it wouldn't have been the end of the world. Finally, the computer is running at stock speeds, so it's not being stressed particularly hard. Lastly, when my previous computer died, I needed a new one "yesterday". I ordered the parts for this thing on Monday. They arrived Tuesday, and the machine was online Wednesday.

All this is just a long winded way of saying that pedestrian computers are not DSO's market. Big box store computers seem to have either moved too far down the food chain or are too expensive. If you want a respectable but plain vanila computer you have to build it yourself or have a local screw driver shop build it for you.

My next "personal" computer, the one I have to use, will be my third from DSO.
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 12:39pm
My biggest problem with the Big Box companies is thier lack of affordable options. Sure they 'offer' more ram for thier models, but it's more expensive than it should be. And thier selection of graphics cards are usually model specific and rather limiting. It's still possible to get really cheap computers from them...they're just gonna be very under-powered and you almost HAVE to expect to buy another one in 2 years...if it lasts that long.

Edited by Hammer - 29 Apr 2009 at 12:40pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 1:55pm
As you say, the biggest problem is the limited choice (or none) of graphics cards. Some stores may sell a few good cards, but they don't seem to get it at the systems level.

In their defense, probably not that many people want to slap a $150 - $300 video card in a $500 box. However, in this day and age, it makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Bill the Cat - 29 Apr 2009 at 1:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply