FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Digital Storm Laptop Overheating

Post Date: 2020-07-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
R D BUHRMAN View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R D BUHRMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Digital Storm Laptop Overheating
    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:18pm
Has anyone had any problems with their Digital Storm laptop overheating? I ordered a new gaming laptop for my daughter 2 months ago. the first time she use it, it overheated and shut off after about an hour. I called digital storm and they said I need to buy a cooling pad for it. A week later the cooling pad came but it did not help. I called digital storm and they said I need to put a program to protect it from overheating. I installed a program and set it to shut off at 95 degrees Celsius. Now it shuts off after 15 minutes of Gaming. I have tried setting the fans on high and gaming mode this does not work either. I sent the laptop back to digital storm and they had it for 3 weeks. We just received it back last week and after 15 minutes of gaming it hit hot 100 Celsius, it shut down again. I have left several messages with digital storm but I cannot get a phone call back. :( This is not a cheap laptop it is their best one. I might not be the smartest man but I don't think gaming laptops should be running at over a hundred degrees Celsius.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 4:17am
Stock gaming laptops out of the box should not be shutting down due to thermals. Recommendation for getting a cooling pad should have raised flags that the unit is defective.

Check to make sure all the vents (intake and exhaust are open). Do not run the laptop siting on a soft surface such as a bed or blanket. In fact, I have found that taking soda bottle caps and placing them under the feet of the laptop has merit.

If you were an enthusisast trying to eke out performance, I would point you to undervolting the CPU and/or GPU. For out of the box experience, you shouldn't need to mess with the BIOS. If still within warranty, I would return it.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 4:30am
Here is an example thread from a forum I use:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/p770zm-shutting-down-suddenly-while-gaming.801813/page-2#post-10468498

Check the whole thread. I've seen problems like this before with competitor gaming machines - the problem there was attributed to poorly fitted heat sink.

Quote R D BUHRMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:11am
Digital Storm had the laptop for 3 weeks during that time they replaced fans and thermal paste along with heatsink. I don't know what heatsink is. I turned on the laptop last night and immediately put the fans on the highest setting. I did not run any programs just let it sit there. It went critical on 3 cores after 20 minutes. :(
I can feel the air coming out of the vents strong. The fans don't seem to be an issue. It is also sitting on a huge cooling pad that blows your hair back!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
Get your money back. That laptop is clearly not functioning as advertised. The Avon is based on a Tongfang chassis. I have a 15 inch version from a different reseller. No problems - 9750H and 2070 max-Q. The reseller I bought it from customized the BIOS to ensure this type of non-sense did not occur out of the box.

I vehemently disagree with the need for the laptop cooler. Thin and light laptops should be stand alone sufficient. I have a Clevo P870TM-R behemoth. Under load, the fans are running as loud as a hair dryer. I know what loud sounds like - reason I switched to a desktop. My Tongfang was annoyingly loud as well for the month or so I had to use it as my primary machine during quarantine. I will still use it for travel, but it stays in the bag where it keeps quiet.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:02pm
Please reach out to our support team for help on how we can resolve this situation for you.

Quote R D BUHRMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:32am
I contacted DS again three days ago. DS said they need the laptop back again to look at it. I am still waiting for a return label. I tried to download screenshots from last night after playing fortnite for 20 minutes the laptop went thermal.

Quote R D BUHRMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 12:15pm

I tried to load images of the temps but it didnt work.
Lets see if these appear.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 5:15pm
Excellent information. 3 of your 6 cores are about 20 degrees warmer than the rest. No question that the heat sink is not level.

This is most likely what is happening with your laptop. See the link for the complete forum discussion. Essentially, this problem resulted in motherboard/capacitor failure due to prolonged exposure to excessive heat. The problem you are seeing is a heat spreader (the part that is connected to the heat pipes) is not making even contact with the CPU. This could be do inadequate mounting of the heat spreader; uneven flatness of the heat spreader. Regardless, the laptop cooler (the one that is supposed to work; not the gimicky one you were told to get) is unable to transfer heat. This has been a long running problem with the laptop described in the linked thread.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/warning-some-i7-6820hks-and-i7-6700hq-have-uneven-core-temps-due-to-uneven-heatsink.797477/

Quote R D BUHRMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:18pm
Thank you for your help, that is great information!
I was told they replaced two fans the thermal paste and heatsink the first time they had it. You would think if this was a problem they would have noticed some sort of damage or it being uneven.
This is a new laptop that hasn't been used very often, it has gone thermal and shut down about 12 times. Would any of you feel uncomfortable keeping that laptop at this point or do you think no permanent damage has occurred?
Thank you in advance for your help, I know nothing about repairing computers only how to play games!
theantihero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote theantihero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:07am
I personally wouldnt take the risk. If its showing a lot of these issues, I would return or request for a brand new machine if it’s possible.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:37am
We'll be happy to take care of the customer.

Quote R D BUHRMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:13pm
Thank you for all your great advice. Yes, it was the heatsink. The heatsink was replaced and now temperatures are running in the low sixties. :)
theantihero View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote theantihero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:51pm
Awesome! :D
Bolt X - Lust Red
Discord: theantihero#0001
 Post Reply Post Reply